1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let David Carr show why he was taken #1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Alimoe84, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Ok I don't know about ya'll, but the play calling in tonights game made me sick. On the first couple drives, the Texans started deep in Pitt territory and they ran the ball the first 2 plays for no yardage. They did the same thing on the next drive. Why do they continue to put themselves in that position on 3rd and 7 or 8 and the D knows that youre throwing. David Carr is showing alot of improvement. He has Andre,Jabar,Corey,Armstrong,Starling and a couple solid TE's. Let David Carr start throwing the ball more!! I know it was just a preseason game and the Texans might not have wanted to show all their cards, but this was ugly to watch. Chris Palmer needs to let the franchise QB go to work. I'm sick of watching highlights of Carson Palmer and Joey Harrington and Roethlisberger air it out in the preseason. This team is horrible in the redzone, but I'll save that for another day. What do ya'll think about the play calling though?

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

I felt the same way about the play calling. I know its important to establish the run but damn it wasnt there. The Texans line got dominated on both sides of the ball. I know they wanted to make sure Hollings could hold on to the ball too. I wont get too upset though cause its preseason and you dont go all out, but I did wanna see some different play calling.

3. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Palmer has shown an uncanny ability to make a mess of the playcalling. I don't mind running the ball 60% of the time, but I hate calling running plays only out of running formations and mostly on running downs.

Also, their historical lack of the play-action has been deplorable.

To me, the ass on the line this year is Palmer's and not Carr's.

PS - they never put anyone in motion, either.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was preseason. I don't think coaches and coordinators gameplan much for preseason. Also, I think it is pretty typical to run the ball a lot when you are backed up against your own endzone. It cuts down on potential INT runbacks for touchdowns. The Texans biggest problem tonight wasn't that they were running the ball too much, it was that the blocking was so bad that the running game was completely unsuccesful.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Did Cory Bradford play last night? He'll catch a TD for 80yds one game and then you won't hear his name again for about a month. He is the new version of Chris Sanders.

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

At least on Madden I can use Miller and Bruener and kick the crap out of NE. :D

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I didnt watch last nights game but those are my exact thoughts for the previous two seasons

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The line was getting they're rear ends kicked. Would you have liked to seen Mr. Carr out for the year. He didn't have anytime.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He played. I think the ball was thrown his way only once, and it was on the only scoring drive of the game. 3rd and goal at the 4 yard line. Carr drops back, tries to throw a high pass that only Bradford could go up and get, but he makes it WAY too high and Corey doesn't have a chance at the catch. Was probably the only really bad pass Carr threw that I saw.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Recycled argument from last fall.

You have to establish the run. If you can't get to the line of scrimmage running the ball...you're going to get beat, no matter how good your QB is. The OL was atrocious on Saturday night on run blocking. They need to get that figured out fast.

11. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Carr's acurrancy has been spot on this preseason. He is poised for a big season as long as the line holds up.

The Steelers were geared to stop us while we were in the basic sets. They wanted some payback for the way we slammed the during the regular season. The were throwing stuff at the Texans which they did not see coming nor did the Texans make any adjustments due to moving players into the game.