1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ballpark Village next to Minute Maid Park

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tigereye, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Buck Turgidson

You Two are nothing if not predictable...what took yall so long?

[​IMG]

MadMax and ima_drummer2k like this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That's the basic want/need with any entertainment venue. It's why building an NBA arena or even MLB stadium can be more valuable than an NFL stadium because those smaller venues can hold many more events.

This East Downtown plan has been in the making since Enron Field was drawn up. The Astros' Ballpark Village is just one component of the larger plan to make Downtown Houston a live/work/play area. If you can continue to make downtown an area like that, then all those other special events will follow. It'd be cool if MMP became like Wrigley where it's just a part of the overall neighborhood.

Haha, well that Earth Quest Adventure park was repurposed into a water park I believe, and I think there's another investor with theme park ideas. Meanwhile DFW gets a universal studios but I digress.

The 59 depressed section/tunnel is supposed to happen from it's split with 527 all the way to I-10, with the section next to downtown having a deck park. I think part of this plan was contingent on the I-45 reconstruction too because part of the Pierce Elevated was supposed to be turned into an elevated park.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm a little disappointed in myself for not referencing a certain Wendy's advertisement in my post.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Houston Developers usually make out like bandits promising benefits and perks for the public. Then after getting the benefits, the perks are put on hold for another round of tax breaks. It's just city government in the 21st Century.

I trust NOTHING a Politician or Developer says.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure what will end up happening on top of the freeway, but the park/open space is still in the plans to happen in the late 2030s-early 2040s.