1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again, you are idiot. Don't change the quote.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Screenshot_20231104-225544_Photo Editor.jpg

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

A rookie can't be an ALCS and World Series MVP when replacing the former de facto captain at a critical position like shortstop. Oh wait....

rockbox, IBTL, everyday eddie and 4 others like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Anybody can be the ALCS and World Series MVP as long as they are on a team that makes it and on the field.

History is littered with them because - Baseball.

In a small sample of games anyone can get out of their mind hot.

I am going to root for Jeremy for the next 4 years and maybe longer, but I expect him to have a career as an exceptional glove at the most vital position who also won't hurt the team as a #9 hitter.

That's very valuable.

Maybe Omar Vizquel with a slightly better bat but lesser baserunning value.

5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Hell bochy just won with evan Carter and josh Jung as his rookies. smh.

lnchan, everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Your sarcasm meter

Screenshot_20231105-134549_Google.jpg

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Question: Are they big boys?

lnchan, Tomstro and Stephen66 like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Do you know how to read? I typed Dusty Baker was a Distraction and players were injured.

10. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Which is EXACTLY WHY you needed your best offensive and defensive options playing. Thanks for making the case against yourself.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’d like to read blogs expansively to include podcasts and take a little credit for running that drooling idiot out of town on a rail. I mean, I don’t think I can rightly claim any credit but I’d like too.

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Ok so this is funny. Preparing for my POD today and as promised we said we were going to dork out on the math and try to calculate how many wins Dusty cost us last year. I did an hour and a half of spreadsheets and baseball reference and a bunch of other stuff and my number came out to 3.2 Games. I think it's probably higher than that b/c I made no attempt to play guys in more advantageous situations (like Meyers only against LHP, or Diaz never DH'ing), so I'd say the number was probably 4 games he cost us through lineup decisions.
    Then, to check myself I just played Diaz at catcher 125 games and maldy at Catcher like 40, while also giving Chas back an extra 15 or 20 games Dusty took from him and benching Abreu so Diaz could get 20 games at 1b. Just those 2 simple decisions, pro rated out, added up to 3.1.
    Then I looked at our Pythag vs our actual record and it was 93 wins v the 90 we actually had.
    So, with even luck and optimal playing time the answer is 97 wins. This last years astros team, with the players available to it, and average luck should have probably won 97 games.
    Will be interested in seeing Andrew's math on this. We will be doing a weekly throughout the offseason. 1st offseason one is look back at manager look ahead at managers we like or are looking at. #2 will be highs and lows and favorite parts of the year. After that it will just be whatever makes sense in light of events going on in the offseason- projecting out 2024 and then some talk about baseball movies. I love baseball movies.

Stephen66 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Is it, though?

;)

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

In the sense of I only wasted 90 minutes doing something that I fact checked in 3. felt dumb. But not too bad. Sometimes that kind of thing is good to attack a problem from different perspectives and end up in the same place.

Stephen66 likes this.
  15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

At any rate, it’s just awesome to not have an imbecile manager who plays Maldy over Diaz all season and in every game in the playoffs.

Yes, that alone makes him a super dummy.

So glad that bullshit is gone.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...Imagine if Julks was still on the roster. Or if a lefty was in the bullpen.

Tomstro likes this.
  17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Pretty sure the Astros won a championship with Maldy at catcher. Why was that?

18. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

I t was at LEAST 7 games

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Because that team was better and could absorb his suckiness. This years team could not. However, we had a solution with an OPS over .800 and much better defense. That’s why Dusty is a selfish dumbass and had to go. But you are stupidly only here for Dusty so there is no convincing you.

Stephen66 and everyday eddie like this.
  20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

So if this years team could not absorb suckiness does one player make a difference? Btw, they couldn’t absorb suckiness because they all sucked.