1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is even the point of Fled Vlan Vleet?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Oct 30, 2023.

1. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

2. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

No, I still don't get the point. The post you quoted claimed that we signed him because we needed a "good" player. But we didn't need a good player. We needed to absorb ghastly contracts through sign-and-trades to get draft picks and make our record worse. What is Vlan Vleet going to do other than maybe make us win 25 games instead of 22 games? When we should be gunning for a wins tally in the teens and keep doing that until we get a generational talent?

3. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Snow Villiers likes this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It was a desperate attempt at an abrupt culture shift. I think they had the right idea, but the amount they paid was very stupid for both FVV and DB, and people here will say we needed to spend and no one else would come, but that logic doesnt really make much sense because it will make it difficult for us to trade them. Stone is likely the worst GM in the league when it comes to maximizing returns on assets, so this looks like it is a mistake as I mentioned during the signing. It would have made sense to bring on some recently retired Vets the players can relate to as part of the coaching staff, someone like Rondo or others who are high IQ.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Why do you care who they spend money on? Would you rather that 40 million have stayed in Tillmans pocket? If he sucks he is either traded next year as a expiring contract or can be cut so relax. At worst he will provide leadership to our 2 young guards.

6. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

To teach the young players the right way to play and he is the perfect expiring contract trade chip next year to offload a star that wants to play with this core of talented role players. Guy is a coach on the floor. He has elevated our starters already. Our bench is the real problem. To me Tari should be the starting four and Jabari goes to the bench. If we trade for say Brogdon and Time Lord we should be a decent team this year and we’ll have a ton of good role player tradeable contracts like Tate, Uncle Jeff, Landale and Bullock plus a ton of picks.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would have liked some used hair gel...

8. TimDuncanDonaut

As far as timing, one reason is that Wall's money was off the books. Org is not ready to extend the young guys yet. The money for next couple years had to be spent. If the floor is not satisfied and a team under-spends, Tilman doe not keep the difference; the difference is given back to all NBA players. In this revenue sharing league, if the money has to go somewhere, you'd rather it goes to your own players.

Silas tax is paid for decent players to come here. Raptors had a good number for FVV (which wasn't low), we outbid them. FVV's salary is fine. Keep an eye on the Raptors and their record. Season is early but they're already seeing a downgrade in pick n roll from FVV & Poeltl to Schroder & Poeltl.

Dillon Brooks while also useful, I think we could have had him for less; I think Stone blinked during negotiations. Originally more money was planned for Brook Lopez, since we didn't get Lopez, overspending on Dillon is whatever.

#28 TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 31, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I am a Raptors fan and i have never liked FVV. He is a decent point guard that would have been a better fit on a good team, not a rebuilding team. He will struggle because he too short to create shots for himself and the team is not good enough to give him the space he needs to succeed. Glad it's a short term contract.

Plowman likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh, I have been saying that all offseason and getting BLASTED for it.

DD

Plowman likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Will Raptors be good? I dunno man. They just lost to the Blazers tonight. POR 99 - TOR 91.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Golly. Maybe they’re missing someone.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FVV sucks. Now, where's the damn graph?

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

The PG market was dire. Who was there the Rockets could get that isn't a bunch of question marks? Westbrick? DLo? Clarkson? Schroeder? Mgmt made it clear Harden isn't coming back and that KPJ isn't the answer.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The point was Fred in the Point... (guard).

But not the very best one.

Not every draft has generational talents, JC. We missed out on Wemby. That was it.

I agree fully to at least try to trade for Don Mitchell or Bradley Beal, or someone who can make buckets every game.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You don’t get the point, because you are either a troll, a moron, or a littlle kid.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon people let's wait until we have a sample size of at least like 20 games to start to draw conclusions lol. So far he's had two bad games and one very good game.

BamBam likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20 games is not going to change anything.

The Starters are good, I said it they are Play In material but the bench is 30th spot trash material.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

YES!! A graphic response towards @JCDenton...;)

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards and mfastx like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A tremendous amount.

BamBam likes this.