1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 10/27/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 26, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That's what exactly what it looked like. Green being a role player. Maybe that was intentional. Maybe international for experimentation. Maybe something we will see a lot more of depending on whether the offense can generate enough points from that role for Green.

JayGoogle and kpdark like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

I mean, if -4 is trash in a game that was lost by 4 points I guess you simply have a personal agenda. Only Dillon Brooks had a better +/- amongst the starters. And honestly, Sengun absolutely DOMINATED Collins tonight.

But whatever dude, you clearly like to go against the grain and use illogical arguments. Good for you, only you are the genius, every one is just clueless unlike you. :rolleyes:

DeBeards, Boii and roslolian like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've said it plenty of times, if he's not showing improvement by the trade deadline we should seriously shop his name out there and see what we can get.

I do think its a prove it year. At least he played a lot better tonight and was not the reason we lost really, that was more on FT shooting and like you mentioned our offense got predictable. Nothing against Sengun, but eventually the Spurs figured out what we were doing and it led to some key TOs.

Hopefully Sengun and Green can develop a 2 man game through the season.

roslolian, Tankeio and Arnel like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In Giannis' second season his defensive rating was 101 and had 4 defensive win shares.....to put that in context only one player on the first or second team all defense had over 4 defensive win shares last season, Evan Mobley.....or to put it more in context, Jalen Green has 2.8 total win shares for his entire career.....0.6 of them defensive win shares.

Giannis wasn't what he'd become in his 2nd season, but he was already a very solid player....considerably better than anyone the Rockets have drafted in the past 3 years.

Jalen is definitely in a "prove it" season, he's looked like **** for his first 2 seasons, and they'll be needing to make a decision about a possible extension before next season starts.....if he doesn't get a lot better at essentially everything, I can't see that happening.

Also, Jalen did NOT shoot well tonight, when you score 22 on 20 shots, you should be embarrassed for wasting that many possessions.

I'm a little softer on Jabari since it's just the beginning of his second season, but the kid looks lost.

There's still time for both of them to turn things around, but we need to be honest about how they look right now.....kind of terrible. It does no good to pretend otherwise.

HD729 likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well definitely.

I am just saying that even those guys take time to learn.

Yeah, Giannis really did bulk up, Bari and Green both could use a bit more strength.

AuburnRocket and daywalker02 like this.
  6. MystikArkitect

At least we looked like a basketball team today. So there's that. Tari can't come back soon enough. Not sure what's going on with Jabari but I've never seen him so despondent. Putting way too much pressure on himself. Seems like FVV/Sengun/Brooks have something. If one of Jalen/Tari/Bari can contribute to winning basketball I think we'll be alright. But like others said, we need a franchise player and only Sengun has shown to be up to the task. Chet tonight with 16/13 and 7 blocks in his second real NBA game. But Cade also with a pedestrian 12/2/6 with 5 TOs. So just build on it and keep moving forward.

albuster, DeBeards, clos4life and 5 others like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

I'm sort of starting to lose hope, tonight felt more depressing than it should.... Have we even had a win like SA had tonight in the past 3 years? Just when it felt like we were finally progressing reality hits... I don't even have the will to defend anyone, just blow it up and try again. Its not like we haven't been through $hit before the rebuild either, getting punched in the nuts every year by GSW and Harden flat out choking was also demoralizing. I'm tired man...

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It just looks like Jalen is butthurt that he isn't the center of attention anymore....on offense and as a leader.

The veteran presence has taken over and Alpi/Bari/Tari and the others have drank the kool-aid. Jalen hasn't....

Arnel likes this.
  9. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

He's the second best rebounder on the team pretty much every game...there's that. And, inexplicably Ime likes his defense on the other team's best player.
    The least you say, the least you have to take back. It is unwise to label Jalen,Jabari,Sengun,Amen,Tari etc. as never being part of a Rockets playoff team.They are the young foundation of the Rockets future. Sure, some could be moved. But, I don't see wholesale changes.JMO.

JayGoogle likes this.
  10. Arnel

Arnel Member

Agreed. Ime should have everyone make at least 500 free throws daily in practice.

deb4rockets, roslolian and Tankeio like this.
  11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-10-27_22-5-46.gif

DeBeards, Jontro and Rockets34Legend like this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

All teams are watching game film on Wemby. They will figure out how to stop this cat.

He isn't all that if you get a scrub like Jock or Uncle Jeff to just face guard him and box his ass out from the paint all game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Arnel

Arnel Member

2 game sample size. Lol. Throw out the first game, how does it look in just this game? Serious question. Since this game is where they used Sangun for generating a lot of offense.

cbass and roslolian like this.
  14. Rocketeer4Life

I though Udoka will play guys based on merit. Why did he have Jabari still playing at the end?

15. Rocketeer4Life

I though Udoka will play guys based on merit. Why did he have Jabari still playing at the end?

Jontro likes this.
  16. 34to11

34to11 Member

This seems an odd position to take given Sengun had just as much a hand in this loss as any other player outside of Jabari Smith Jr.
    Missed layups, missed free throws, and turnover after turnover...Sengun has his fair share of culpability in giving this game away.

kpdark and Jontro like this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Even if we could shoot over 50% free throws and not have choked this game awayit wouldn’t have mattered as we just don’t have the talen outside of a couple of guys.

Salvy likes this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Lost the game because you couldn't shoot free throws. Unacceptable if you think about it, but still an improvement over the first game at least. They played with more intensity. Overall a better effort, but you've got to do the most basic things if you're ever going to stop being a bad basketball team. Hitting free throws would be a good start.

Rudyc281 and roslolian like this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sengun and Smith found a way to lose including atrocious FT shooting. This is something to note and track. They either learn and grow or keep defeating themselves.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

10/20 is a bad stat line it seems from the endless btching from the anti Green fans. U look up the stat line and u see that same percentage on the player we spent 40 mil on, yet u hear crickets.