1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Running the offense through Alpi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this offense won't be friendly to Segun. Silas, in hindsight, gave him a lot of post-ups. seems like udoka has him as a screener.

will be interesting to see who bends first, sengun or udoka.

HardenReturns and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. maypk

maypk Member

He didn't, and he's still the best player the Rockets have drafted in the last three years. By far. Find another scapegoat.

HardenReturns and AlperenSengun like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Stopped reading here - who cares what Jabari does? He is a disappointment too in general because he's not nearly as good a defender as advertised (long but not strong or quick).

He's also not the guy teams repeatedly - for 2 plus years now - dial up in high screen situations. That's Alperen Sengun.

I actually just went back and rewatched the first period last night. By my count, Orlando ordered up some variant of screen involving Carter up high or slightly lower on Sengun no fewer than 9 times in the first 6.5 minutes of the game before he was replaced by Landale

To be fair on some of them Orlando didn't score but it was pretty clear what they were trying to accomplish, the same thing everyone else does against us. A simple high pick and roll is very likely to result in a quality look whenever Sengun is on the floor - has been true for 2+ 1 game seasons now

Verbal Christ, kpdark and leebigez like this.
  4. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

So you are basically saying that sengun had the best defensive rating despite orlando trying to expose him on defense. Even better for Sengun. He did not crack under pressure.

That's also one of the main plays of modern basketball. Teams will run it on anyone.

Sengun is also very valuable for rockets offense, to keep him busy and make him work on defense to make him tired or get into foul trouble is a good strategy anyway for the opposing teams.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d like to see less post-ups for Alperen, and even less for Jabari.

More Princeton please with Alperen as the hub. Also, bulk threes from Jabari until he is used to shooting 8-10 a game. These Joe Smith 18 footers from Jabari have to be a much smaller part of his offensive diet If he wants to last in this league.

Bo6 and AlperenSengun like this.
  6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's never gonna be as good as Jokic unless his arms grow

7. leebigez

I guess dudes just jumping over him inside is just lying eyes?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He does not need to but you have to get someone like Robert Williams to help Sengün.....

Time Lord helped Udoka in Boston quite a bit. Establish physicality early on.

You might still lose a few games but the optics would improve.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The Rockets offense does not have a half court game, it seem our offense is transition offense or driving to the basket? Working the offense through Sengun helps with open shots, back door shots and Sengun going 1on 1. Sengun seem aggressive and active in the 1st half but in the 2nd half he was very passive and playing flat-footed. If Sengun is talented and this team will not be successful unless Sengun play a big part in this team’s offense. He is a 20 and 10 guy but he needs to play meaner, tougher and rougher

11. SamFisher

One more fun thing about this thread:

I'm old enough to remember last year's season opener, a much less embarrassing 117-107 loss to the Atlanta Hawks, in which the feisty young Rockets got a career high 7 assists - against 0 turnovers - from their young C.

Meanwhile his young backup struggled - to say the least, coughing it up 6 times in limited minutes.

That was a real harbinger of things to come for the Rockets starting C that day, playmaker extraordinary .... Senhor Bruno Fernando

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. SamFisher

This is hilarious - i was going to post after the game on Wednesday that i need some ultra manufactured @Bradeaux stat line palliative care dredged up from the bowels of Statmuse and this guy just delivers again and again.

The Bradeaux tweet formula:

Find arbitrary numerical milestone based on counting stats (11-6-5) where you can filter some rocket to the top

<Dramatic extra space>

Line about how old the players are or list Wilt Chamberlain as the only other player on there

< Mike drop >​

I guess the moral of this story is that if you feel like making fun of a @ Bradeaux tweet, do it soon because eventually he'll just tweet out your joke and you'll end up looking stupid like me.

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

No, he damn sure didn’t.

By the way, this isn’t scapegoating. This is called accountability. Scapegoating is what you are doing, blaming Sengun’s shortcomings on Jabari, Jalen, Silas, etc.

This is going to be a tough season for you guys. All y’all have done for 2 seasons is derail every thread to talk about the greatness of Alperen Sengun. Here we are discussing his performance, which is objectively subpar (and well south of that Jokic bullshit), and you think it’s about someone else.

All that “run through Sengun” talk. It’s happening, it’s been happening and it’s worth 86 points. It sucks and the guy who stands at the helm demanding the ball gets his share of fair criticism.

14. leebigez

I like Sengun, but people act like he's the next Sabonis or someone. He's solid,but all this about run the offense through him is trash. You might as well kept Kelly Olnyk if that's the case. No team respects his jumper so they sag off and clog passing lanes. You can't do that with baby Sabonis or Joker. He's not going to go by you nor has he shown he can make a jumper consistently.

DaDakota likes this.
  15. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

TBF you look pretty stupid most of the time anyway, so don't worry about it.
    We know.
    We just don't care.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. maypk

maypk Member

"He’s pump faked his way out of the defenses playing honest. That’s why there is always a second guy helping to contain our drivers. You all need to take those rosy glasses off."

You literally blamed Sengun for Jalen and Jabari's dogshit games lmao.

You must be so sad a dude who can't shoot, can't pass and can't do anything other than standing at the top of the key is your team's best young player by far.

#96 maypk, Oct 27, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    HardenReturns likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It should be our BASE to start - and then we can build off of it - right now we looked like a Silas team

DD

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

a time to chill and Amiga like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey Leeb, I have Sengun as a Scola type - where do you see him?

DD

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Stop quoting me and hold your L like a big boy.

I “literally” did not specifically mention anyone else, because this thread is about Sengun.