1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Baker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Sep 12, 2020.

1. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

What?

One thing going against Whiteley is he is now 2 GMs removed from the one that drafted him. Also, have to think a lot of the scouts/fo people who drafted him are gone as well. In short, he is running out of backers in this organization.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Suppose to be in response to how old is Juan Soto... the platform is glitchy.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/alcs-managerial-report-card-dusty-baker/

Dusty Baker, Houston Astros
    Batting: F
    This section is usually a blow-by-blow of pinch-hitting selections. We’ll get to that, at least the few times that Houston used a pinch-hitter, but I’m going to tell you my complaints right at the start: Martín Maldonado played over Yainer Diaz a disturbing amount of the time, and Chas McCormick got shelved at the first sign of danger. I’ve spun those two decisions around in my head a lot while writing this, and I can’t get behind either of them.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Load management begins in April. Astros need a six-man rotation throughout the season. Verlander is too old to be trusted every 5th day and throwing 180+ innings. Brown/France need to prove they can go an entire season. Lance is Lance. Javier can be a starter if his innings are minimized and he doesn't play in the WBC. I would prefer no starter pitching more than 170 innings. If Maton is a free agent, we definitely should resign him and add a replacement for Neris -- Hader would be awesome. It's gonna be difficult to unload Montero. We prob just gotta hope he doesn't suck again. With Garcia's return, Astros can prob afford to have one less BP guy and use certain "starters" as multi-inning guys in almost every one of their appearances.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

One year too late, but I'll take it.

Seems like a cool enough guy, I'm just glad he doesn't have anymore control of Houston's destiny.

Congrats on the ring.

Stephen66, Viol8r and rockbox like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I’m very grateful and thankful to Jim Crane and the Houston Astros for giving me this opportunity, and to win a championship,’’ Baker told USA TODAY Sports. “I felt like they’ve been good for me, and I’ve been good for them.

“What I really appreciate is that Jim has been totally honest and transparent with me on all things.’’

Baker still wants to remain involved in baseball in an advisory position with a team, either the Astros or a team closer to his Sacramento, California, home. Yet after managing for 26 seasons, he is done, leaving the Astros on his own terms.

“I’ve still got a lot to offer; baseball has been my life,’’ said Baker, who also spent 19 years in the big leagues as an All-Star outfielder. “I have a lifetime of knowledge, much more than those who have never played the game.’’

Baker plans to spend the next week in Houston to pack, then go back to his home and winery for the first time since Feb. 10. He will fish. He will hunt. He will relax.

But he’s just a phone call away, ready to join a team that will value his experience and expertise and respect his input.

“I’m gone,’’ Baker said, “but I will be back.’’

Stephen66 likes this.
  9. King713

King713 Member

Congratulations to Dusty on a fantastic career. Best Astros manager ever. Put that man in the Hall of Fame.

BMoney likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

11. raining threes

The Padres SS is the guy I would look into trading for.

I would only trade Brown and the package you suggested for an Ace

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

Congratulations to Dusty on a long and storied career. He did what he was brought in to do and he leaves with division titles in every full season and never being eliminated from the playoffs prior to the ALCS game 7. I wish him the best in retirement.

This season it was clear that he wasn't what the Astros needed anymore. Even with many criticisms and this being the first post-season where he's really made a lot of questionable moves, this team and it's current starting pitching was not a WS team. The Astros have shown a lot of resiliency and lack of panic over the past 4 years and I think that speaks well to the areas where Dusty is a stronger manager.

13. raining threes

If they can also trade for an Ace I'm on board with trading Framber for Soto.

14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Lol a bunch of boobs in the Astros fan base.

BMoney and Jontro like this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

Goodbye Dusty, thank you for the Championship last season. Can't take that away, no matter how frustrating this season was. I hear Angels or Dodgers might be looking for help, close to where he lives.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  16. Elienator

Elienator Member

So you think that Dusty is what the Astros need going forward? Or that he didn't make any questionable moves? Or that the Astros haven't shown resiliency over the past 4 seasons?

He has the most playoff wins and best playoff winning percentage of any Astros manager. It's OK to not kick him on the way out the door even if I don't agree with a lot of the decisions he made this year.

17. RussE

RussE Member

It’s time to move on. No more Maldy either.

18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

ha-seong kim or xander bogaerts?

raining threes likes this.
  19. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

You blame injuries and players not doing their jobs on him? Guess you will blame the next manager too.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I blame him for not playing the best players available and not putting the best hitters in the top and middle of the order.