1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALCS Rangers vs. Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2023.

1. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

Not the way I wanted to end the season obviously. But I did enjoy it. I have many Rangers fans as friends who were graceful in the game 5 loss and humble in the series win. Thankful for that too. Go Astros. We can get them next year.

DreamShook, ROCKSS, Hey Now! and 2 others like this.
  2. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

A championship would make it all worth it. Here's to hoping they don't win it

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

he has a glass jaw though

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

Pitching has been the biggest problem all season long, so it’s fitting the season ended with the pitching imploding. The months long inability to hit with runners in scoring position at home is mind-boggling.

Baseball more than any other sport is as much about the journey as the destination. It never seemed like this years team was able to put everything together, and a division title and getting to a game 7 of the ALCS were more than I expected.

Next year looks to be a good journey as well. I’m hoping for a full season of Yordan, Altuve, and some improved starting pitching and first baseman health.

The frustration and negativity at times is part of the journey, but I hope we’ll see fewer personal attacks on both the players and whomever the manager is next season.

AB and Jake Tower like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are half-a-dozen reasons the Astros fell short this year - but their lackluster offseason might be #1 on my list. It screamed complacent.

They essentially addressed one area of concern (1B), and while I won't drag them for the Abreu deal, it obviously didn't work out as planned and now they have an old, expensive 1B they have to work around.

My frustration was them putting too many eggs in Brantley and McCullers' baskets - both of which, I think, came back to bite them throughout the season. And then, other than overpaying for Montero... that was their offseason. So hopefully, this season, which all around feels lesser than any other in this run, will inject some urgency into their plans.

mikol13, jim1961 and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. Radricky

Radricky Member

It's crazy to me that pressly didn't pitch in games 6 and 7 at all.

everyday eddie and lw17 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Fort Worth star telegram says our dynasty is over. lol

#12109 Surfguy, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  10. Landry's Tooth

That's why he's not getting a big contract from anyone.

Could be an ideal #2 hitter if he's Anderson from 2 years ago.

11. Landry's Tooth

It appear Abreu is ok, he was just trying to play injured. He came back much better after the IL stint.

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

Personally I think it was pitching and not team identity. The team managed to bounce back from a disastrous September and win the division. They came back in game 5. Despite the lack of clutch hitting at home in the LCS, there were plenty of clutch hits at other times.

At a certain point you can’t win if your pitching staff can’t get out of the first inning without putting you in a big hole.

lw17 and Radricky like this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I firmly believe we win that series if Diaz starts every game given how many ABs Maldonado had in critical situations.

Maldonado might have been the worst starter on any playoff roster.

14. Landry's Tooth

I read that. Says a lot about the paper given they are unaware how old the Rangers are.

15. Landry's Tooth

We have all seen them lose in the ALCS. They will make adjustments and come right back...

Thankfully most of the issues can be solved internally.

lw17 likes this.
  16. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Our 7-8-9 hitters were horrible, the Rangers have a line up 1-9 that can hit. Maldy IMO is done as the starter, his at plate performance was horrific over the course of the year, granted he had a few clutch hits but overall it was a wasted plate appearance. Our pitching was not the same this year, it seemed like no one could ever get past 5 innings over the entirety of the year. Lance goes down AGAIN, Hunter was not the next JV (as I thought he was) and Pena reverted back to being Adam Everett (harsh I know) BUT.............hey, tip your caps to the Rangers, they beat us. One thing I will never understand is the ability to lose so much at home, it's like there to comfortable and need that chip on their shoulder when they go on the road. I will be happy to have a news conference that Dusty will step down and then we can have a real off season and make a few tweaks here and there.........and of course root against the Rangers for the next week

Stephen66 and Jake Tower like this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Astros have been the most successful franchise since 2015. They are full on winners.

Anything else, is just laughable.

You are angry, which is awesome in a way because it shows you are a good supporting fan.

The other side of the coin is that you are angry because your expectation is for them to go to the WS.

So reality is, you do think they are winners....

Take a chill pill on this one bro! They will be back next year with an improved pitching staff and the mental block gone.

IBTL likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Ranger fans and being graceful and humble? Those exist?

Tfor3 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well if a paper no one reads and is obviously biased says it, then I guess we should agree with it lol.

Tfor3 likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

How about this...

Sign Lourdes Gurriel to 5 years 70 million (roughly spotrac value).

Start Dubon at SS.

The average OPS for the starting 9 for 2023 would be .828. The average age would be 28.77 as of this year. Age drops to 27.14 if taking out Abreu and Altuve.

Pena becomes a utility player letting Dubon move around as a defensive move.