1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Alex Rodriguez worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

252 million for 10 years? I dont think anyone in baseball is worth this much, its just too crazy!

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

2. Summer Song Giver

I agree,salaries have gotten too far out of hand and I'm looking forward to a strike or lockout and hope the owners stick to their guns this time and come away with either a salry cap or revenue sharing;otherwise I just don't picture baseball being very succesfull in the long run.

------------------
    The National Basketball Association obviously revolves directly around Bob Finn's Fantasy Basketball League!

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

No

That is all [​IMG]

------------------
    Go West! Life is peaceful there!

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I felt like making one!

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well....weren't Jeff Bagwell's numbers at least as impressive? You know what that means....he's gonna want one hell of a raise.

It's true....salaries are way out of control. All this for playing a game?!?!?!?

Higher salaries translate into higher ticket prices. And, as we've seen, many fans don't go to games any more because of higher ticket prices. This is true of basketball. Baseball is catching up fast.

How much is enough? Where does it all end? Anyone that says they only play for the love of the game...we know...is full of crap! If so, why don't you take a pay cut to play where you want? Money is all anything is ever about any more in sports. And, when other players see so-and-so got a huge raise, well...they gotta have one too or it's just not fair and they go crying to mama.

Surf

------------------

Astrodome likes this.
  7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

The Rangers may have been better off throwing all that dough at some quality pitchers. They already were loaded up with quality hitters.

Oh well, Rodriguez is a great player in his own right. It never hurts to have a superstar on your team.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

8. University Blue

I'd like to see MLB go to a lockout until they can agree on a hard salary cap -- even if it means sitting out an entire season (or two). There is no way MLB will survive the increasing salary demands.

While they're in lockout, maybe they can come up with a better explanation for the pocket-change fine against Clemens in the World Series.

------------------
    "Breaking up is hard to do...[with] everyone trying to make it a parting befitting all the professionalism that came before. Trying to find that Olajuwon graceful fade one more time."

Scott Howard-Cooper (Sacramento Bee, ESPN.com)

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

WEll, if anyone was worth it, it was him. He is a rare talent. btw, when MLB GM's were asked who they would like to start a franchise with, A-rod was 1st. Guess who was tied for second ? Pudge.

------------------
    "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence ?

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

They mentioned this contract in pregame and I forgot how long ago it happened... 1/4 Billion in 2000 is about a half billion today -- unreal.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is it me or does he look like he's fake tanning?

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That tan didn't come from the sun.

13. Buck Turgidson

ooops

Jontro likes this.