1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ TRADED to the Thunder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Exactly if waived he is free to join another team. It would have sent a message that the Rockets dont play that.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol started a year before us as well. Massive failure if they don't win titles with that haul

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think the biggest difference was that they actually got a high quality prospect from their rebuild in SGA along with the picks while we got just picks out of ours. Also they traded down and got assets for both their stars in PG and Russ while we traded down for Harden but attempted to trade up with CP3 and lost assets then Russ completely lost all value when he was with us. Their most recent playoff appearance was still the same year as ours.

4. Saeculum

Saeculum Member

We traded 2 seconds for a second pick level player and a trade exception. Lateral move. For the old schoolers, KPJ is basically "Theo Ratcliff's expiring."

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is $16.9 Million a good deal for two uncertain second round picks-- seems ridiculously high especially give that they already have a dozen or more of those in the next several years.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to be clear -

O will never play for us. It's about the expiring contract...to be added with our other flotsdam for matching purposes...
    The 4.5 million TE generated will be in play with this also.

JRE makes 1.9 this year, and has the team option for next, so he's expiring also. Guy's a real longshot to stick, almost assuredly wiill get put in the coming deal.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It would be short sighted to just make the trade for the 4 Play In Games.

Make it for the second part of the Season.

Plowman likes this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right, it needs to come at the trade deadline.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

who gets cut next week?

Corrosion likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mayer is already cut...... Jeenathan and Hinton.....everyone else is set or has a 2 way contract.

Should have given a 2 way to Hinton.

xiki and Plowman like this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Kudos to Stone for making this move

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Well he was waived. Just not by us and we got something in return. It’s still a business.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh now, you are congratulating yourself, Rafael.

15. txtodd

txtodd Member

Not $16.9 million, you have to back out the salary of the two players we received that they no longer have to pay.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's like you have to be a CPA to understand NBA trades these days.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this. KPJ was either going to be bad as a PG or he would develop decision making skills to make himself a lot more valuable. The extension was designed to be traded. Unfortunately, his decision making went a hell of a lot worse than the Rockets expected.

18. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

I liked what OKC was doing stockpiling picks, but at some point,. I think they're devaluing their own assets. Every team knows they can't use all those picks. Well I guess they can, but they can't put everyone on their books. If everyone knew I could only stash 15-18 donuts and I'm sitting on 43, they're not going to overpay for them.

Great flexibility for them, but something has to give at some point or another. I guess they can always kick the can down the road further and further, but at some point you have to make the move. Very promising team though and I really like the roster they've built so far.

For us, I like having tradeable contracts and room for the little flexibility we might need. The roster is really solid as-is and the situation is basically: we need one or two of these six kids to grow into a superstar now that we have good role players around them.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not sure how serious they were about Jrue Holiday a few weeks ago but I heard some rumors.

highpost1388 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member