1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Martin Maldonado

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Apr 29, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Same thing i have said all year: there is no question dusty wants to win. The unfortunate part for us is he would rather lose his way then win someone else’s way

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Grand total of 9.2 innings for a 4.66 ERA (4.67 ERA with Maldy)... this after forcing Maldy on JP and Brown when he said they need to be comfortable with whoever is at catcher in case Yainer got hurt... although Maldy being ancient is more likely to be hurt.

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No evidence? This is not something that needs evidence. Dusty is the only one who talks to these guys to know whether they prefer Maldy or not. It's obvious that they do

4. AkeemTheDreem86

Honest question: Do you think the narrative that the pitchers prefer to be caught by Nads is one fabricated by Dusty?

Follow-up: If so, why do you think the pitchers have refrained from either refuting that narrative, much less ask to be caught by the clearly superior player?

Are they simply too afraid to hurt Nads' feelings? Perhaps they're afraid to stand Dusty up?

Or could it be that they actually just prefer to be caught by Nads?

I don't know the answer. While I can't help but find all three possibilities frustrating, this is the situation in which we find ourselves.

Go 'Stros!

5. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Yet somehow

Pitchers perform worse with Maldanodont.
    Get way less run support.
    Someone who can't throw a runner out.
    Cost games with his terrible D.

But dayammmm. Maldanodont sure can call a game that equals more losing.

F these pitchers and their fantasies about wanting a poorer product.

cmlmel77, IBTL, Jake Tower and 3 others like this.
  6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yeah that’s where I’m at. It’s sort of your job as an organization to blah blah blah. I can’t even muster the ability to properly b****. We just lost a playoff game where the most important at bat in the game went to that hideous offensive player in a game we only gave up 2 runs. chickens coming home to roost.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

It was just deflating last night. After the 6th inning, I lost the will to cheer for them and even b****ing about them.

8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maldy wouldn't have dodged multiple HBP opportunities in the 9th inning. What the hell Chas, take one for the team.

IBTL and Xerobull like this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I mean look, I think this is true honestly. Dusty ain't trying to lose as much as I dislike him as a manager for his moronic managing. But you nailed it. He'd rather lose his way than win someone else's way.

Stephen66, Wulaw Horn and marks0223 like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I believe everything that Dusty and the Astros say about Maldy is true.

I also clearly see the numbers.

The bottom line is that they value things in a catcher that fans don't see over the metrics and results that they do.

The evidence is massive that the Astros score more runs and the other team scores less when Diaz catches.

Dusty just feels that pitchers trust and comfort along with his personal favorites will somehow, result in winning the game. It's stubborn, old school thinking and why this team needs a different manager next season.

Dusty wants to win, he just refuses to believe that Diaz's performance outweighs Maldy's "intangibles" He is wrong.

That said, he did everything right last night. It was the right lineup vs Montgomery and he PH for Maldy as soon as he was no longer pitching.

Last night's loss was on the bats and Montgomery pitching well. Sometimes you need to tip your cap and come out fired up to take it right back the next day.

11. HTM

HTM Member

Was at the game last night. Maldy came up in two big spots. Felt terrible to know we wouldn't get anything out of those spots before the AB started. They should have sent Chaz. Force the issue their instead of relying on Maldy to get a hit/walk.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Last night when the bases were loaded I was screaming at the TV to bring in Diaz. I agree it's frustrating when Dusty sticks with Maldy in situations like that. That said not playing Diaz more on a regular basis I'm not so sure about. Being an MLB catcher isn't easy physically or mentally. Diaz statistically has been hitting better than Maldy but has played much fewer games. We don't actually know what he would be like if he was the everyday catcher.

In fact there have been many times that teams have taken promising young catchers and made them play other positions. Biggio and Joe Mauer for example. The view is that the stress and strain of being a catcher would degrade them from being a better offensive contributor.

I get that this is the internet and everyone knows better than the manager. In this case I'll admit I don't know better than Dusty. I still feel though that he should treat Maldy like National League managers used to treat starting pitchers. When there is a situation in a tight game to score and the pitchers spot is up you pull the pitcher and put in someone who statistically gives you a chance to score.

13. Screaming Fist

Correa said that Maldy is worth 15 wins due to his transcendent abilities, making him the best player in the history of the entire sport...and you think we shouldn't play him???

Also, Diaz seems to be in a bit of a funk (maybe bc he has hardly played lately) so who knows what he can even provide now.

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is clearly an exaggeration but not without some element of truth.

I think Maldy's intangibles do positively impact a game and help the team win more.

I'm just not convinced that it's more than Diaz's bat and mitt.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It's obvious because Dusty says so?

18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

And grae kessinger prefers to play every day too. Who cares? Do what's best for the team to win

everyday eddie, lnchan and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maldy's magic number is 13.

That is, 13 is the maximum number of games left he will make it to a lineup card.

Houstunna likes this.
  20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Lol

everyday eddie likes this.