1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Going back to the Arizona series which was basically the playoffs. He has more than half the runs batted in 3 to 4 of their last 6 wins. (Someone fact check me )

astros123, rockbox and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. The Drake

The Drake Member

I felt this

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  3. Rocketsglare

Rocketsglare Member

The guy has supreme confidence at the plate. Keep it going . We need it and tell him to wake up Tucker.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In one playoff series (24 hours), Abreu has matched Biggio and Bagwell's combined career playoff homeruns total at 3. :eek::eek:

#604 rockbox, Oct 12, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  5. rockbox

No time like the present month to go nuclear

6. rockbox

The only thing I worry about is this a chronic back injury that the steroids is just masking.

7. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

That’s a good point. Lets worry that drugs we know work might not last long enough on a condition we aren’t sure one of the best hitters of the last five years might or might not still have.

crose and Major like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. That’s potentially an issue. That’s why I said it’s dicey counting on a 37 or 38 year old to stay healthy.

9. Yordan The Great

Not sure how much more y'all need to see. Perplexing to say the least.

75 RBIs in his last 84 games (that's Yordan territory)

Last 33 games
    11 HRs (that's a 54 HR 162 game pace)
    41 RBIs (that's a 201 RBI 162 game pace)

That's not somebody that's "cheating" at the plate to gain this kind of power.

What you're seeing is the player we signed for $19.5 million per.

Just be happy he saved our season, and at this pace will be the biggest reason we win back to back titles.

13 in 33, astros123, lastreg and 5 others like this.
  10. Yordan The Great

Look at this fool.

Jesus.

13 in 33 and astros123 like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

At that time, this was very true

12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Hitting HR’s isn’t proof that you aren’t cheating- it’s the absence of hitting as many line drives, more swing and miss, less walk, etc.
    I’ve been more or less his biggest cheerleader and that’s not a negative statement that you quoted. I said, literally, before he put up any of those numbers that he was fixed and back- like- literally after I saw his bat speed in Boston. I’m also projecting out the future to his age 37 and age 38 season, when he’s even older. All the old guys cheat- it’s basic aging curve stuff. And lots of the old guys hit more HR in that time than before.

13. rockbox

I don't think he is cheating for his power. He hit the ball harder than Bryce Harper last season. His issue has been launch angle. His launch angle last season was 20 percent lower than his career. This season it and especially in the second half, it has gone back to normal. He is still chasing a bit worse than his normal below average rate.

I just hope the back isn't chronic. This version of him for most of a season would be pretty sick and he hasn't gone God mod yet like he normally does for parts of a season. I'm hoping this is the month. Like Pena but with a lot more hitting talent.

astros123 likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Keep going.....

Never gave up on Abreu. Baseball seasons are 162 games.

Year after year we see Breggy start out horrible and rebound.

Abreu historically has been the same.

He is a good hitter, and hits good pitching.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Hitting an opposite field homer 110+ mph and 425 feet after hitting two 440+ feet in the same game the day before is proof his bat speed is just fine. I don’t know what this “he’s cheating” narrative you are pushing is but kind of ridiculous IMO.

If you want to claim he’s lost a step whatever but he’s always had problems with high velocity fastballs inside, particularly up and inside.

astros123 likes this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are a few different issues here. One is bat speed and as you note. the MPH off the bat indicates this isn't a problem. But there is also a reaction rate like drag strip drivers. These are the ones that manage to get a quick start by recognizing it's location a fraction of a second earlier. One "cheat" is to move up in the batters box which is entirely legal but called a cheat to get to the ball before the full impact of the break occurs. Some have perfected the art of swinging with a lot of time in the Zone and others can get the bat to ball quicker.

Batting is a bit more complex than "see the ball - hit the ball" which is all the batter needs to think about AFTER he gets there. I actually think the most debilitating injury to a batter is an eye injury or deterioration.

BallSoHarden and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

India’s his bat speed was fine and has been ever since he got back from the injury. That’s not the issue (was when I Hurd but now isn’t). As you age your reaction speed gets slowe and you have to be geared up to hit a ball and make a swing decision earlier than you did when you were younger. The ball doesn’t get as far. It means you are less selective, have a worse chase rate and so **** like guess at what’s coming.
    Abreu was terrible because he was physically incapable of being a good baseball player. That got fixed and now he’s good. I’m saying he will be good going forward not great for the reasons I talked about.
    go look at what I’ve written on this thread- I’ve been cheerleading for him. if you think he’s going to be great the next two years groovy. I would be Bally go get you any sun of money you want on a 130 OPs+ and take the under. That’s literally all I’m saying.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

As I said in august- fixed!

cmlmel77 likes this.
  20. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

My man