1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Pelicans 10/12/2023 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, it takes some to be well prepared and he did that in spades in just 5 days of training camp like a champ.

But it is oddly satisfactory to know that professional NBA teams can be had for just this amount of time.

clos4life likes this.
  2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Gross huh? They walk amoung us...

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"He tried to be competitive with Wall and Harden and Cousins and when that didn't work he tried again with Dipo"
    Those are your words. He wasn't trying to tank Oladipo wanted out so he had no choice again stop rewriting history Tanking was never the plan. The plan was to be competitive like you said. You're literally disagreeing with yourself and to make up for the lie you're trying to tell you're calling it "keeping options open". Well Portland didnt want to rebuild they wanted to remain competitive with Dame but Dame asked for a trade so they had to try to rebuild. BKN wanted Durant to stay he wanted to leave they had to rebuild its that simple. It wasnt the plan to rebuild we just sucked so Stone had no choice. One thing I hate about this forum is people not admitting or saying my bad when they are clearly wrong its annoying. A bunch of prideful grown men. I posted an article that Harden wanted out because of SILAS not before Silas and TIllman acknowledged it and hoped Harden would stay. He literally said they were trying to win a chip. SO NO THEY WERE NOT TRYING TO TANK THE FIRST YEAR THEY WERE FORCED TO.

clos4life and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

missed the game. did we win the zion tryouts?

DeBeards, wlekfjv923n and daywalker02 like this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

When 3pt shooting is your biggest flaw right now, you are doing something right. The only reason it was reasonable is because our 3rd stringers were 100% for the most part. Very impressed by our defense and you can say the Pelicans didn't really care, gave a pre-season effort and all of that, BUT the fact that we're treating a 2nd pre-season game this seriously, showing this kind of effort, and are this locked in, then that's something to praise and be very happy about.

Night and day with our approach as a team, the way we can play now with FVV, the confidence of Jabari and our rookies looking like high flyers who are ready to play some minutes down the line. Sengun holding his own on defense is a welcoming sign, Brooks only doing one heat check, Amen looking solid, as a team getting all those steals that does not even account for all the balls that our guys get their hands on. FVV is really a master at it.

I like what I'm seeing from our defensive scheme. It's switching, but there's some nuances there that are maybe effort and talent as well since Brooks & FVV know what to do, but I see a difference there that is very welcoming. It's not just mindless taking turns, it's smarter, showing and more reliant on helping, being quick on their feet so requires more effort for sure.

MVP: I want to really give credit to Jabari and how happy I am he's coming into his own. That added muscle is evident as his form, his whole body with his shoulders straight, going more straight up, more leg strength it seems so he does not need to really compensate with his arms. I remember there was a thread in the off-season or last season where it was asked who we are most high on, think will be the best player (down the line) and I really felt Jabari could be that guy. Well, if this progression is any indication, then he definitely can be our Ingram / Aldridge.

Lots of NBA fans with a solid following online showing love for Jabari too, they really believe what they're seeing, as well as praising Tari, Cam & Amen since they were drafted. I am not as high on Cam as some seem to be though that athleticism is undeniable and my god can the guy jump. It's beautiful, but he's a bit too eager to my taste. Ime took him out at the right time. Lastly, I want to add that Tate again was great, all over the place and he's such a smart player. Hope we keep him!

joshuaao, Jow and wlekfjv923n like this.
  6. corrado

corrado Member

Well, when you see a team that has not been coached for 3 years straight and you think of yourself as a competent coach, it does not take much vision to think that if you get that job, you might look like a savior.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol that is the fairy tale version.

In reality he was cleaning up his mess in Boston and putting his relationships in order with Nia Long and stuff.

And then opportunity knocked for him. (Selecting a semi rebuilding situation was a hard move but it went great)

#767 daywalker02, Oct 13, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    clos4life likes this.
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This.

People be trying to rewrite history.

The Rockets were definitely trying to field a competitive team initially.

Silas was just THAT bad of a coach.

clos4life and Joe Rocket like this.
  9. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I don’t come into the GARM much anymore. And I probably have 1000 people on ignore so you are probably next. Do you think FVV needs to be a bench guy based on a preseason game? If you actually think that you are as stupid as Silas.

10. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

I would like to tell anyone that thinks this game matters in anyway to stay the **** out of the Astros forum.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Rashmon, cheke64, Nook and 2 others like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

3 point shooting will really kill us in real games. I like seeing the hustle and the ball sharing, hoping that keeps up a whole season since it will make us respectable. We will see what happens.

HP3 and PigsFly like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You are miss remembering how everyone wanted ime to be their coach. he could have gone anywhere. there was opportunity everywhere. so much opportunity even rockets fans were thinking he signed with us too early.

Easy and heypartner like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could go back, I am not 80 years old .... I remember that it was a toss up between Vogel -Nurse- Udoka - and probably Atkinson...etc.

Some even had Cassell but went with too experienced.

Yeah, him signing early was unexpected yeah.

I doubt everyone is offering him 7-9 million a year (HOU) right after the Boston disqualification.

8-9 million is what is equal to a max contract for a player. Coaches get much less than players.

Yeah, I guess after 1-2 years rehabilitation he will be offered that or more, but not right after that.

#774 daywalker02, Oct 13, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I mostly stay out of that because baseball is fuc**ng boring. So enjoy!

16. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Tate played well too, great deflections and hustle points. Rubs off on everyone else

heypartner likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Coach needed a Platform to showcase his coaching chops which the Rockets provided.

The Rockets needed a fix in form of a no-nonsense leader which was Udoka. Point blank.

Stone's forte was closing deals, contract negotiation and he did that perfectly.

jim1961 likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rafael Stone has put a ton of talent on the roster. Very athletic, two way players. I still have hope Green can become a two way guy eventually as well.

Impressed with the overall ability of the roster.

Sky is the limit for the Rockets. The players just have to get better.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Tate is infectious.

That’s why smart coaches who prioritize defense will always have a roll for players like Tate, despite fans thinking he has no place due to perceived offensive limitations. (I’m looking at you Roosh) :cool:

Rashmon, Nook and wlekfjv923n like this.