1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm going to laugh as we see reggie bullock contribute more to the roster on a vet min deal for a year than a $90 mil dillon bricks

Easy likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not how it works and it's not a good problem. This kind of things is why some people believe KPJ's dead money has a market for trade. Teams sign long term big contract to players who can't even crack the starting lineup. They have to dump those guys to make room for more efficient use of the cap and roster spots.

YOLO likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

OK first of all there was an analysis done and Brooks as an All NBA defender is getting paid around market value so even on the surface he is already an efficient use of the cap.

Secondly an All NBA defender should be good enough to crack the starting lineup, I dunno about you but to me being an All NBA anything should be good enough to be a starter on a non championship team. If Cam Whitmore out plays Brooks within the next 4 yrs then that's a good problem cuz you suddenly have 2 starting caliber sfs and that's not even talking about Tari Eason. Just cuz Tari and Cam relegates Brooks to the bench doesn't mean he isn't starting caliber, he started for Grizz who were contenders for a couple of years already so if Tilman gets mad at Stone he will be in the wrong. BTW Brooks can play 3 spots as well so he won't be exclusive at the SF spot, just like Tate Ime can plug him 3-5 and if you saw him at FIBA he indeed was guarding guys 3-5.

Third, the reason the Rox can afford to pay Brooks 20M is because Tari and Cam are making rookie scale contract for the next 3-4 yrs. What scenario will cause the Rockets to have to dump Brooks and his 20M salary "for more efficient use of resources"? We already have guys 1-5, Brooks and FVV are placeholders till Amen and Tari/Cam grow up and start costing real money. It's not like you can get a superstar for 20M so I don't see what this more efficient use of cap and roster spot will be. Are you getting someone who costs 20M and relegate one of Sengun/Bari/Tari/Green/Amen to the bench? Something went wrong if that happens. Are you paying someone 20M to be a bench? Then how is that different from Brooks getting relegated to the bench while making 20M?

Finally KPJ contract does have value, but Rox may not be in a position to take advantage of it. The dead money is only for this season but the value is he is unguaranteed so it has value for teams who are looking to dump salary in the next 2-4 yrs. Question is would Rox be willing to take dead money for assets? I don't know the answer to that but if Rox wanted a couple extra picks they can easily do that there are always teams who wants to trim down their salary.

#223 roslolian, Oct 12, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

First, Where is the analysis that says he is getting paid around market value? For all we know, Stone was bidding against himself after he failed to sign Lopez.

Second, Brooks made All NBA defensive second team once in his 6-year career. You are talking like he's some sort of perennial defensive juggernaut. Even if he's a good defensive player, if his offense is a negative, he still won't be guaranteed a starting job.

Third, thanks for mentioning Tari Eason. That's another guy who may be good enough to outplay Brooks. If that happens, Brooks will be buried deep in the bench with a lot of years of overpaying deal left. BTW, rookies are eligible to get extension after their 3rd year. If a guy is good, the team will give them a big extension to prevent him from going into the RFA market.

slothy420, daywalker02 and YOLO like this.
  5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Brooks will eventually be good at shutting down the scorers running with the opponent's second team rotations while starter Cam gets a breather before closing out the 2nd and 4th quarters.

6. Ancient Moabite

Even if Ibaka responded quicker you put him on ice until you lock up the young big 3 that you tanked for, it was KD then Russ then Harden and all else after to build around that trio

Just speaking from my GM two cents, I would have let Ibaka camp know this offtop in clean hand/good faith negotiations

red5rocket and mac_got_this like this.
  7. Caesar

Caesar Member

KPJ losing his mind was a blessing in the skies for Cam who is the real top 3 pick disguised as a late first. Sguise the limit. Jon Lovitz wedding singer Reaping all the benefits.gif

Left Block Problem 74 likes this.
  8. kpdark

kpdark Member

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I agree with you in spirit

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean I see the potential of someone like Brooks.

But he is too much of a ticking time bomb for me, and this organization had one too many of those time bombs.

Whether he blames this on his schizophrenia the villain or he is just mentally ill.

Easy likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He was like that in hs.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Those 2 dudes are too hard to watch.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

yeah. The white kid is @Jontro

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Will the game be on the Rockets youtube channel? or just the App?

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

PSA : Turn your audio down or throw your speakers away before watching this video.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

he has my permission to use the n word

17. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

TF?

Jontro likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

You can look it up in the forum, am too lazy to prove a "point". Yes rookies are eligible for extension in their 3rd year good thing the contract is only 4 years right?

So tell me again what's the issue with overpaying for Brooks? Even if he is buried on the bench this season is the only season we can sign guys without hampering future capspace for our rookie extensions. Your whole argument of dumping Brooks to get "efficient use of capspace" doesn't make any sense when you consider rookie extensions 3 yrs from now.

It's just another baseless complaint with little thought put into it.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Texan fans: Spend months arguing on if they should get CJ Stroud or Will Anderson Jr
    Rockets fans: Spend months arguing on if they should get Amen or Cam

Both teams: Let's just draft both.

Caesar and red5rocket like this.
  20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

"blessing in disguise" not "in the skies" :D
    Is this one of those CF pedal stool things?