1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are you watching the Rockets/Astros in 2023?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KelvinCato13, Jul 20, 2023.

1. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Man I miss Comcast SportsNet it sucked when we went to Root Sports and AT&T Sportsnet we lost all the additional programming hopefully they'll have some with the new network.

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

If Rockets and cheap Tillman want to recoup their loss in fans (and in Tillman's case, his money), they need to get this across all streaming platforms (YoutubeTV, Hulu, etc.)

Not sure if there is enough money or attention they can get from their own streaming platform yet, but this is a great start

Also glad this is in Cranes hands and not Tillman

cdastros likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ockets-attsw-regional-tv-network-18396523.php

Now the challenge for the Astros and Rockets will be to acquire new viewership, be it through deals with cable companies such as Altice Optimum or Charter Spectrum that do not carry their games or through deals with such streaming services as YouTube TV.

One avenue that the teams will not purse immediately, however, will be standalone streaming services adopted by some MLB and NBA teams whose rights are owned by Diamond Sports, which is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Those services offer access to RSNs through monthly fees ranging from $20 to $30 for viewers who do not subscribe to cable, satellite or streaming channels that carry their local RSNs.

“We are looking at the direct-to-consumer model,” Kibbe said. “It’s something that we are seeing in a few regional sports networks. It is going to take some work to make that happen. But it is something that we will look at and evaluate.”

With ownership, however, will come significant challenges for the teams. Warner Bros. Discovery’s departure means the Astros and Rockets will lose their guaranteed annual media rights payments, which were estimated to total $120 million for 2023 — about $73 million for the Astros and $47 million for the Rockets.

“This industry is challenged,” Sheirr said. “But we feel comfortable and fortunate to be able to partner, to maintain an existing structure that protects revenues but also to make sure that fans can continue to watch our games.

“We will be looking for ways to fill in the gaps and create content and advertising and new ideas.”

#63 J.R., Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    Dredd likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'll pay extra if I don't have to listen to Hollins.

clos4life likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy calling the Rockets would be nice.

6. Bury Me in the H

7. JW86

JW86 Member

So regarding the guaranteed annual media rights payments, was that part of the TV deal that teams all get a share, which in this case the Rockets will not get? In other words, they now have to find a way to make up for that loss? If that’s the case, we can hold off any hopes of more content, unless they start to offer deals and realize it’s a good incentive by having access to archived footage, rebroadcasts of classic games not shown elsewhere etc.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve had it for about 2 years with the fiber optic internet.
    Just as expensive as cable now, honestly frustrating

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

There are over 10 live channels on the Chinese TickTok (the app is called Douyin) broadcasting Rockets and Astros games frequently.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Since they bought AT&T Sportnet, they also bought the current contracts.

So, the question is: Does Fubo TV have an exclusive streaming deal? I thought they did.

From the chronicle article:

Space City Home Network will assume the existing telecast contracts for the AT&T channel, which airs on Comcast Xfinity, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse and streaming channels fuboTV, DirecTV Stream and AT&T TV in addition to some smaller cable companies. Those contracts run through 2032 for the three linear carriers and give the teams a degree of security lacking for some of their Major League Baseball and NBA counterparts.​

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ok im going to use this.

@daywalker02 reply to me so I can save it

12. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

It’s the best money saver

daywalker02 and cheke64 like this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Wemby flopping and getting calls. I'm done for tonight

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can tell you how to do so if you pay me the extra.

heypartner likes this.
  15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'll watch it through NBA League Pass. I usually like to buy it through my cable company, which allows me to use my DVR, which I find more responsive that the mobile/broadband interfaces.

I think the one thing I've never been able to figure out with the purely broadband League Pass service....I I want to start the game an hour after game time from the beginning, can I do that? It seems like when I've tried this in the past I am not able to, and I have to wait until the game is over plus some extra time before it's available to start the game from the beginning. If this is really the case, then I'll stick with purchasing through my cable company.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

UPDATE...looks like you actually can rewind to the beginning using the App. I just pulled up the Spurs game, and I'm able to just drag the slider back to the beginning. Sweet!

In any case, I just purchased League Pass through the cable company after calling them (couldn't find a way to do it through the Cox website). It's the same prices as the streaming service by itself, $99. So until I cut the cord it makes sense to get it through the cable company.

I'm ready to go for tomorrow!

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I usually just buy it through nba.com, but you can cancel before they "auto-renew" next year (assuming they're going to do that on your count), and when you attempt to cancel they'll sometimes give you a 20-30% discount.

18. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I can vouche for sportsurge.net. It’s the only thing that works for me.

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

Been with fubotv the past 3 years. Mainly got it for rockets but its been my main tv service since. Never had any issues, great for sports. Lots of content.