1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] Rockets not looking to trade Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jul 3, 2023.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I would say a sniper as well. A guy who's best quality is shooting. Speaking of which...
    Tate shot 38% from 3 post all star break '22 and began last season at a 40% clip. Also has a handle, drops off 3 assists a game.
    Eason shot 34% from 3 last season.
    Brooks is a career 34% 3 point shooter.
    Smith shot 36% from 3 last 21 games of the season, 42% in college on 5+ attempts per game.

There's reason to believe that all of them could shoot over 33%.

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - I don’t know know what they are, but Stone has a history of liking go structure contracts this way - he said it motivates some guys.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Also:

upload_2023-7-4_19-13-20.png

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - but he's the C, not in the forward line.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He averaged less than an attempt per game so this stat does not do much for me. We really need him to take a few more threes per game to keep the flow of the offense going so I need a bigger sample size to see if he can be reliable. Give me 34% taking someone around 3-4 per game and I'll be happy.

34to11 likes this.
  7. HROZ

HROZ Member

Hmm I'm not sure why not

Dout he makes the rotation

At wing I expect Jabari Tari Brooks Whitmore Jalen & KPJ are all ahead of him. (SG-PF)

Plus Amen will get some wing minutes

8. OpportunityCost

I think Ime would like Tate's style of play. I just want to see Tate taking less forced shots and stay in his lane when it comes to offense.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. invocux

invocux Member

No doubt that Ime likes him. Besides we are already a bad defensive team no way he would let him go now.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize that was the case, I'm guessing because it didn't seem like he was shooting a lot of them. If he's hitting 3s like that he needs to feel the pressure to shoot 10 of them a game.

IF he can sustain anything like that, he's pulling a defender out of the paint for sure. If he pulls a big out you've got Amen/Jalen feasting on space in the paint. If they try to stick a wing defender on him he can either shoot over them or give them the Turkey-jerky drives. Either way, Sengun as a floor spacer in between post up opportunities is extremely ideal.

12. cml750

cml750 Member

I suspect Ime will give him the green light this season. The idiot SIlas told him not to shoot them.

Dobbizzle and OremLK like this.
  13. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Consider this: The Rockets front office already agreed to salary dump Tate in the Dillon Brooks' S&T and only changed that deal after Brook Lopez blindsided them. They weren't planning on Tate being a part of this team in 2023/24.

How do we know this? Because it is the only way that the Dillon Brooks' S&T could have created enough cap space for Brook Lopez. Using Tate in that deal would have gotten us up to our reported $27M Brook Lopez offer instead of the $20M that is achieved by acquiring Patty Mills and rerouting him.

We must have pivoted to the Mills plan in order to maintain maximum trade flexibility after Brook Lopez reneged.

But don't believe for a second the Rockets wanted Tate on this team next year.

jch1911 and Fyreball like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Kai Jones is demanding a trade from Hornets

Tate x Kai Jones

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Since udoka is good with it, it’s fine

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

#nolayups

17. VoR

VoR Member

Ime would trade KJ from ANY team he coached.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They both needed to go. In KJ's case, earlier, not at the point of diminishing returns. Regarding Tate, perhaps the Rockets are trying to resurrect his trade value. I know he's an Ime type guy, but ...c'mon. I'm assuming they're wanting him to help instill that defensive mindset. That's fine, but, then move him.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is the reason for Iko to blare out this news.......can't you be quiet about it.

jim1961 likes this.
  20. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Helllllllll no!

Moahst likes this.