1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. bmelo

bmelo Member

There are no positions anymore just roles. Historicaly every position had specific set of roles its no longer actual, unique skillsets generate unique roles

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I believe I read something about his first step actually being faster than Ja's. Pair that with a 7' wing span, 3-4 inches of height, and giant fast hands that can crush a basketball with 1 hand, he should have no issues going up against the Fox and JaMorants of the league.
    100% agreed. He's improved his shot in just a couple of months. That takes Hard work and dedication. He obviously also has an insane work ethic. I can honestly foresee him being a better version of pre-injury Penny Hardaway.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Amen is hitting 33% or more of his 3’s, both DB and FVV are going to have to up their game.

If there’s not a huge difference between Amen and DB’s shooting, advanced stats will tell us we’re better with Amen at SF.

Will be tougher to outplay FVV, but if his 3 ball and finishing at the rim is better than we expect things will get interesting.

jcmoon likes this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

The better will play with Udoka. Doesnt matter how much who makes

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

DB is never going to be better than Fvv, so if Amen is outplaying someone we won’t have to guess who he’s replacing in the starting lineup between those two.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, there's a difference between first step and lateral agility. Not sure he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of guys like Ja given his size. But like I said, very few players do.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

Initiator/ creator/ spearhead

The label doesn't matter. The production does.

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I my mind the main reason I wanted Amen over Ausar was, that he was a PG. Sure Amend has slightly better ahtleticism, but Ausar has a better shot and better defense. But Ausar is a SF - at 6-7 he is average size for a SF. Yeah, he is quicker than your normal SF and he will cause some matchup problems (while struggling with some stronger guys), but overall he is kinda typical for a SF.

Amen is not typical for a PG. He is way too tall for most opposing PGs and he is way too quick for opposing bigger players - all while being able to guard any kind of player under 6-10. That is a matchup nightmare for opponents. Plus he is a pass first guy. So yeah, keep him at PG. And at times you can also run a PG by committee with him and FVV on the floor together (FVV even started out as a SG).

TheBeastSystem likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...on#gid=ci02abe79890002539&pid=usatsi_19597419

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...on#gid=ci02abe79890002539&pid=usatsi_19597419

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm actually curious how this will turn out. In the time I watched his videos before the draft, I've seen smaller guards get by him, but not necessarily blow by him, but of course those weren't all NBA-level guards, either. Then again, I saw his OTE combine numbers, and if you believe those, you'd think not even light could get past him. Those numbers were silly for a guy not just of his size, but any size.

BaselineFade and OremLK like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I'm just basing it on eye test from watching his games in OTE. I think he will be a very impactful team defender overall, the tools are just ridiculous and the motor and overall basketball IQ are great. And I think he'll be just fine 1-on-1 against most point guards. But I've definitely seen him get beat off the dribble. Not often, but it happened.

Anyway, like I said, I'd play him primarily as a 1. I don't think it's a dealbreaker at all if there are a couple of guys with roughly comparable athleticism and a lot less mass to shift who can beat him off the dribble.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

For the rockets… position less basketball means we play short thicc dudes at center.

14. MultipleSauces

Amen is like a create a player . What do you think his 2k rating will be at his peak ?

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

who cares? he's a type of player that will succeed in what ever the coaches ask of him.

i'm too young for the Magic Johnson career, but maybe the older posters can chime in what his development was like? Were coaches pigeon holing him into roles on the team? Or did everyone recognize Magic as a "true PG" from the get-go?

16. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Basketball is position-less now. Doesn't matter what "position" he plays as long as he can perform well on both sides of the court

Bo6 likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Going into the draft, there were some who thought of Magic as a forward because of his size. Even in his very early days in LA, he had to prove himself at the PG spot--they did have a pretty good Norm Nixon manning that spot when Magic got there. Magic often guarded forwards, played center in Game 6 against the Sixers his rookie year, played a little PF in his later years, but he was a true PG from the get-go.

BaselineFade and Bo6 like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He was a pg, but when Kareem got hurt in the playoffs he played Center and won finals MVP as a rookie.

Bo6 and BaselineFade like this.
  20. Rudyball 1998

Rudyball 1998 Member

VV will be point and Amen forward but Amen has the ability to run point when VV is not in the game.