1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Reggie Bullock to sign with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 3, 2023.

1. J Rock

J Rock Member

I may be In the minority here, but I’m fine with Cam not getting heavy minutes right out the gate. It should be obvious that Bullock is not a long term solution and more of a place holder, so you’re not losing games waiting for these kids to figure it out. Cam will get playing time when the coaches feel he is ready, as I’m sure most of us can agree, will not be at the start of his rookie campaign. It’s incredibly rare for things to just click even for the best of prospects. As far as people complaining about him taking minutes from Amen? That just makes no sense because Bullocks is in no way going to be playing point. Where’s the overlap?

2. Spooner

Spooner Member

The minute he became free I had a feeling Udoka would be after him. I even posted that much.
    Its a good signing but I wouldn't get carried away. Underrated defender for sure (maybe a little past his prime there) but that 3% is a little deceiving. He's a decent shooter but extremely unclutch and goes through horrid slumps.

I'll find the stat when I have more time but I remember seeing an openness chart and last year Bullock took the most wide open shots in the entire league. (Luka is good at basketball.) HIs percentage of wide open makes relative to other players however, is pretty low on the chart. He won't be playing with Luka this year and won't be getting the kind of looks he got in Dallas consistently. He's also just not good at all at finishing and takes 80% of his attempts from spot up 3. He's a nice depth piece but the truth is, if he was a really good player, Dallas wouldn't have been a failure. (I really don't see how you can fault Luka) and he probably wouldn't have been waived to begin with after the trade. Bullock is ok and his shooting will (hopefully) help the team. Lets just keep things in perspective.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This.

I'm fine with Whitmore getting spot minutes this year. Make him earn a larger role for next year (or if he comes out and earns it in the first month, great!)

Williamson and groovemachine like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So (if your stat is right) - he got more open looks because of Luka, but shot them poorly. Contested he must have been smoking hot if his overall 3ball was 38%+

No Luka in Houston means less open looks, more contested 3s - which he apparently loves - therefore 40%+???

Spooner and J Rock like this.
  5. J Rock

J Rock Member

This made me laugh!

Joe Rocket likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess they aren't trading KPJ's contract for some playable vet.

YOLO likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This mostly. I will say some rookies are more ready than others and Cam's athletism and strength give Cam a more likely than most chance of being one. If Cam is one of these, Bullock will lose time quickly. If not, he'll come in on a normal pace.

I'm not big on must have veterans guys while tanking, and I'm a firm believer of giving young players as many minutes as possible while tanking. The Rockets don't control thier own picks, and the Rockets have a couple of players that will be eligible for extensions next year. I'm surprised at how much some people are against adding Bullock. It is weird being on the other side of these type of deals.

I still think he'll get more than the minimum as I think the Rockets are trying to scrap up every bit of salary they can to make matching salary in trades easier.

8. Buck Turgidson

Rockets aren't tanking anymore.

Tfor3, mikenm268, Joe Rocket and 2 others like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correct.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the clarification, heyp. Yeah, I now recall that his sister was transgender. My bad for the error. I will correct my earlier post.

11. Buck Turgidson

So vets like Bullock are ok

Tfor3 and Joe Rocket like this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

agreed and "better than them" in this context means generating winning possessions with structure. no more freelance because in the long the the risk isn't worth the reward, your highlight be damned.

if you listen during media day, everyone vouched for the young guys talents but they questioned if they could do it within a framework/structure. if they can, they'll play and get majority of minutes and we'll win!

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It started out with those 2 colored wicks but he then changed to having more than 2-3 wicks so he obviously moved away from that.

(12 minute mark)

#113 daywalker02, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    groovemachine likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. The opportunity cost is likely Tate loses some minutes unless Udoka was going to force feed Cam minutes. If Cam is ready, Bullock is riding the pine waiting on a trade or filling in for injuries. Cam will likely loss an incidental amount of minutes, but really isn't going to be that much unless he just isn't ready any time soon.

15. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

why Dallas didnt bring him back?

jim1961 likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They wanted Grant Williams, and he was the matching salary that they needed to send out to make deal work. Celtics didn't want his salary over a trade exception.

jim1961 likes this.
  17. Spooner

Spooner Member

LOL He didn’t shoot poorly except he was atrocious beginning of the season. It’s just that other players were less open when factoring in their shooting percentages. A lot of 40% shooters did it under more duress. And if we are talking strictly open catch and shoot numbers, hell KPJ was much better than Bullock in that regard. He’s still serviceable but it’s not like we got Klay Thompson lol let’s just tone it down a bit :D

regardless I still think it’s a steal of a signing to get a vet like that who can play defense and reliably space the floor

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Replace Whitmore with Tate

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forgot they also got Seth Curry back, the 2nd most accurate Curry brother.

20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I like to hear minutes go crunch. Its the sound you hear from winning squads.

[​IMG]

Tfor3 and i3artow i3aller like this.