1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. dookiester

dookiester Member

you didnt ask for levis to be drafted at 2 (nor did i say anything implying that you did...), but you did literally say youd take levis over stroud. but sure, im being dishonest/lying just to fit a narrative.

maybe nobody could predict stroud would be as good as he has been, but also nobody but you was saying stuff like this...all from the will levis thread. talk about narratives...

This one was especially rich, condescending to another poster pointing out stroud's superior ball placement bc you 'watch more tape'...
    there's plenty more pages of receipts i'm too lazy to get through. glad you are willing to admit you were wrong but that doesn't give you a free pass to revise the history of how you approached the discourse around stroud and call people liars when they bring up how truly awful those takes were

#2461 dookiester, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Man, I’ve been excited, but my biggest worry on him was how he would handle pressure. I was really scared for this game. God the Oline. Plus we always randomly beat the jags. But Stroud understood the assignment, no sacks, quick decisions, slowik was so exciting as well. This game really sent me to another level.

Welcome to the table, what a game!

TheJet, Crashlanded19 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

First 2 weeks Slowik was completely shat upon, now he's a genius?

Maybe he's just a young coach growing into his role? Kinda like a whole bunch of other guys.

JayGoogle, Sooty, javal_lon and 5 others like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I said I would take any of the QBs over Stroud.
    I would only take Bryce at 2. And that AR and Levis have the highest upside.

I still believe that about those 2. Physically they are on a different level.

Being wrong about Stroud so far doesn’t mean that what I said above isn’t true.

No one is rewriting anything, at all. Stroud has outperformed literally everyone’s expectations. Still, it’s been 4 games.
    The real proof about where the top 4 QBS pan out will take 2-3 seasons.

Also, if you want to go back and cherry pick quotes, make sure you quote the posts where I very clearly say Stroud has an elite arm and accuracy. Not once did I say any different.

Facts are, he will be the first good Ohio St QB if he keeps it up. He’s a pocket QB by todays standards. His testing scores aren’t hindering his on field play.

Also, don’t pretend to be lazy when you just fished through a bunch of posts to make you feel better.

Im glad to be wrong so far on Stroud. I still worry about Levis and AR reaching their potential.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Really couldn’t pick a better scheme for Stroud with the makeshift Oline.
    He’s making the reads and the anticipation has been great.
    Hard to get pressured if the ball is out fast

6. Buck Turgidson

Probably about a phonebook worth because the guy could never stop throwing his opinion at you (thankfully he's a Levis fan and they all missed by 6 feet)

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I don’t think that’s always the case, I wanted Young, I also wanted Mahomes. Hell I even wanted Zach Wilson. And now I just hope Young doesn’t get hurt, I laugh at Zach with everyone else, and I deeply despise Mahomes.. TBF I went to school I’m Missouri and my friends are obnoxious chiefs fans so I hate him even more.

But anyways, you just move on and focus on the Texans. But it’s been hard to watch for a couple years now. This win today really made me feel things I haven’t in a while.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

came back and saw this post; was not expecting it but good on you for saying you were wrong

Sooty, RunninRaven, primtim24 and 7 others like this.
  9. verse

verse Contributing Member

What makes an NFL QB a generational talent? Usually, I hear about size and arm talent, anticipation and ball placement. Of course, there's the mental aspect, as well - being able to process defenses correctly and swiftly. Occasionally, athleticism gets sprinkled in too, but I wouldn't consider that "necessary" but more like a cherry on top.

That said, doesn't CJ check all of those boxes? I mean big bold Sharpie pen check marks (save the athleticism box. It's a pencil- marked check for now). At what point do we acknowledge he might be generational, lift your team to Super Bowl contending status as a QB?

As someone who has fanatically watched Houston football since the days of Luv Ya Blue, I'm excited, but not for what we've seen so far. I'm excited because the "leap" in a QB's game typically occurs midway or towards the back end of their 1st year if they are REALLY special. It's when the QB gets comfortable with the NFL speed and package recognition. That's when his #s explode.

303 ypg right now and he isn't comfortable yet. 6tds and 0 INTs and he isn't comfortable yet. People.... this might be the floor for CJ. He, likely, has multiple ascending levels he has yet to climb. He's going to struggle at some point, because they all do, however, everything I am seeing leads me to believe that he is, in fact, generational and will overcome those coming adversities. His ball placement and anticipation in what can only be the beginning of his understanding of the Shanahan offense, will only result in more efficiency and offensive explosion with time. An actual NFL quality O-line is hopefully around the corner, as well. An additional explosive offensive weapon or two is likely coming, just to make him more dangerous.

If I'm right, we may have the beginnings of "one of the best to ever do it" and THAT is what defines generational to me. What say you?

Plowman, Sooty, Crashlanded19 and 4 others like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stop lying.
    I really hope you don’t have a wife or kids. Living with the most bitter person in the world has to be draining.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

20231002_025031.jpg

#2471 Houstunna, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I didn’t watch the first two weeks, so I missed the shatting. Kind of watched week 3 and watched this week in its entirety. So yeah, I guess he is a genius

13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I was honestly wondering if this would ever come! Happened a lot sooner than I expected. Kudos to you!

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Darius Slay, you're a Texan.

Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I have had a MANY disagreements with @cmoak1982 in the past! For him to say this, WOW!

Way to come around cmoak1982!

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I have had a MANY disagreements with @cmoak1982 in the past! For him to say this, WOW!

Way to come around cmoak1982!

cmoak1982 and houstonstime like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I myself must admit, I was a Bryce guy first, CJ guy second and this is why you can not look at college football and equate it to the NFL. You have to look at everything in totality.

This is why I said from the start, if the Texans LOVED a QB in this draft, take him and don't wait, because Williams, Maye, etc. may not pan out.

houstonstime likes this.
  18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

He plays and interviews like a multi year veteran.

Rudyc281, crose, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kid gonna break the bank in about 3 years

Rudyc281 and justtxyank like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Absolutely love what I'm seeing so far. He looks legit.

Still, people dunking should probably chill. It's 4 games. Don't write a phonebook of receipts yourself lol.

Rudyc281, JayGoogle, TheJet and 3 others like this.