1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin: Objective opinions...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JAG, Jul 28, 2001.

1. JAG

JAG Member

While I realized that Eddie had struggled a bit at times this Summer, my general impression from reading the game by game reviews (which were great, by the way) was a very possitive one re: Eddie Griffin...which is why I have been more and more confused when reading ratings/evaluations about Summer League players...Comment after comment about Griffin struggling mightily, Griffin displaying obvious talent but being just as obviously nowhere near ready, Rockets' management being perturbed as Griffin seemed to not care as Zach Randolph 'utterly destroys' him, etc....

I realize that, as fans, we can lose perspective on our players, especially when a significant move is made to acquire him, but I couldn't have been that far off, could I? Admitidly, I have not really seen Griffin play, but I thought his numbers were generally pretty decent...On the other hand, it's too easy to just dismiss all these other comments as being biased or not understanding Griffin's expressionless play, because there are so many of them, and a lot of the people making them know more about Griffin (his style, etc. ) than I do...So I'm left feeling comfused...

So what I'm asking is, can people give me an overall, OBJECTIVE opinion of what Griffin has shown this summer...I was never one of those expecting him to average 15-10, but I also never thought people would be saying that the Rockets have altered their time frame for counting on Griffin as a significant contributer based on his dissapointing showing thus far...Some of the various criticisms have been:

*Gets a lot of help or recovery blocks, but gets taken apart one-on one...

* Shows very erratic perimiter...

* Makes poor decisions, rushes shots...

* Seems listless at times even beyond his reputation for just being non-expressive a la Duncan/Rahim..

I realize that a lot of these are things ANY rookie demonstrates, but they are exceeding my understanding of Griffin's play so far...

And, no, I do not have links to these quotes..there have been many, they're all over the place, and a lot of them are from up to a week ago..it's been more of a continuing surprise than one particular comment...

------------------
    We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars... O. Wilde

2. Bigman

Bigman Member

All I know about him so far is what I saw on Thursday and read here at CC.net. From what I saw Thursday, I'd say he's got the raw skills and talent to be a star in this league but not for another two years or so. The comparisons to Rasheed were close, in my opinion. But without the nasty attitude. I'd be willing to bet in 2 years he's better than Rasheed.

------------------

3. Colby

Colby Member

I made a habit of watching him at Seton Hall. Great rebounder. Takes pride in Defense. IMHO, the sky is the limit.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I wasn't impressed. He struggled a bit too much against minor league competition for my liking. Still, I will reserve full judgement until I have seen a few regular season games.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

Keep the ???? alive!

The ZRBucks!

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I watched his game alot in College because I remember he was the best High School Player in the country when Darius Miles entered the draft. Alot of ppl were talking about Griffin leaving the nba early next year after one year of college. So i was thinking man I wish Houston can get some big guy like him. AND WE DID!.

I saw enough of his games to say that he got mad talent. Every game I saw he would put some crazy numbers on the board. For a Freshman in College thats very good. Like some game I remember he had bad shooting , like 5-20. But his stats at the end came out to be 22 points, 18 rebounds and 6 blocks. He is a player that can shoot bad but still end up having a big night. He does all the things that we dont have.

Griffin , Francis, Mobley - WATCH OUT..

------------------
    "The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex," Ewing said. "I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left."

6. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Griffin is going to be a star. Honestly, he will team with Francis and Mobley for a long time and we will all see great things come from these guys. It will be a slow start but in two or three years, we will realize we got something special with these three guys. Add Taylor and then find a center and this team is going to be great. Now only if Cato lived up to what he had...

------------------
    This is a blank signature.

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Griffin had the talent and athletic ability to dominate on the college level. It's the same way DaJuan Wagner could score 100 points in high school; some of these guys are simply men playing among boys.

I think the main reason you saw Griffin post such horrible shooting numbers at Seton Hall was because of Seton Hall's complete lack of leadership last season. Griffin played outside of the Hall's offense for long stretches, and Tommy Amaker didn't have the guts to bench him. Eddie looked like he was interested first and foremost in getting his shots, which led to too much free-lancing and poor shot selection.

It was a terrible combination of immaturity on the part of the team's best player, and a complete lack of integrity and leadership skills by the head coach.

I don't see that being a big problem in the NBA. Rudy's not going to let anyone get away with that kind of crap. Frankly, I don't think Cuttino Mobley or Steve Francis will allow it either.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I caught part of a Rudy interview last night, and he said Griffin is extremely talented (really?), and that he may struggle to figure out where he fits into the offense. He mentioned he'll eventually see what kind of shots he'll be able to get in our offense, and all of a sudden "the light will go on".

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My objective opinion is that Shandon had better be re-signed. I have doubts about Griffin starting on such a young team that has playoff aspirations. I'm very excited about his potential though. He was the biggest guy on the court against Utah! The commentators were saying in the beginning that Rudy thought he'd be playing some at the 5 spot next year. I don't have a problem with him starting next year, but if he does I won't be thinking playoffs -- he just looks too raw and shell-shocked right now. Of course I'm not very good at evaluating talent, LOL. I thought Langhi would get some time last year, and of course that didn't happen.

10. coma

coma Contributing Member

Just like everything else in today's world, it's NOW, NOW, NOW!

People, if you are judging Griffin by the expectation for him to run out of the phone booth with his cape on to block every shot, get every rebound, and score 30 points a game, then of course, he's disappointed you.

Stop for a second and look at the situation. Here's a young man, with obvious raw talent. The summer league is the FIRST time he's played against this level of competition. His numbers were not bad at all. He's obviously still adjusting to all this. How well would you perform? Aside from the level of skill his opponents now possess, he has to adjust to all the other stuff that comes along with being in the NBA. He seems like a very smart and mature young man who will get it all together very soon.

Let one of the premier coaches in the NBA develop him for a year or two. After that time, make your judgement.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't too much about the play-offs. Even if we sign Dream (he must stay healthy) and others, Getting past the Lakers will be extremely tough.

Why not develop EG and DL? Steve and Mobes are still young enough that we can afford to give those two young guys ample minutes.

EG will be a star if...
    - He works hard at developing his low post game/moves
    - Adds strength
    - Improves his decision-making and passing skills
    - Improves ball handling
    - Continues to improve defensive presence
    - Wants to win above all else

EG is 19 and will need the mins against the top comp to develop...RT should know how to do that

If EG keeps growing, he could be our new 5 in a couple of years. If he can develop into a lil' Dunc and we add another player or 2 we'll be able to seriously compete.

------------------

12. drpepper

drpepper Member

I seem to still think of Griffin as a high school player because he only played in about 30 college games and wasn't really coached well. And like most H.S. players, they take a couple of years to make the transistion and get used to the league. Look at Tracy McGrady and Kobi. I would like to see Griffin use the glass more since he spends considerable time in the paint.

Also, I have a Q for ya'll.
    If we had drafted Richard Jefferson at 13, Zach Randolph at 18, and Gerald Wallace/ Samuel Dalembert at 23 would you still trade?
    Just wanting a little input.

------------------

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

i agree.where would francis be if he sat behind bryce drew?griffin won't learn anything behind taylor,thomas or whomever else.people are fooling themselves with the break em in slow act.let him play,learn from his mistakes and move forward.remember all the turnovers francis used to make?he still makes some but they are coming down.he didn't learn them behind bryce drew,he learned from experience.with langhi upgrading williams/anderson spot and hakeem back with cat and franchise,this team can catch and surpass portland,phoenix,and minnesota.if you take the starting 5's,none of those teams have a clear advantage over the rockets.hide your weakness is what every team does to win.
    francis vs. damon-marbury-brandon adv Hou
    mobley vs. anderson-penny-peeler adv Hou
    langhi vs. pippen-marion-garnett adv other
    griffin vs rasheed-rogers-smith adv wall
    hakeem vs davis-tsakalidos-nester adv Hou
    the rockets have advantages against these teams.these are the teams the rockets will be chasing so i don't think they're giving up on the season by playing him as much as possible.some nights he'll give you 14pts 12rebs and some nights you want get that because he'll be in foul trouble,but i'll bet he can duplicate tha number joe smith,kenyon martin put up as rookies. 12-14pts,7-9 rebs,and 1.5-2.0blks a game which would be better than taylor produceed and he's been in the league 5 yrs

------------------
    everett

14. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Griff's key word is POTENTIAL. Scary word since we have been saying it about Cato sinc ethe trade, but in this instance it is the best word to describe him.
    He has amazing skills but to make the next step to NBAstar he needs the heart, brains and durability to make it. Honestly noone on this board can say he will/won't be good or great.
    He has never had so much money in his pockets. He has never had so much talent around him. He has never played vs this great of competition. He has never played 82 regular season games before.
    Although many want him to be an impact player his 1st year my only hope for year one is for him to contribute and be a part of the team. I hope he gets 20-25 minutes a night, plays hard on defense, crashes the boards, and takes the open shots when needed. I don't want to much pressure on a 19 y/o. Let him evolve over a 2-4 year time period and don't push him to be the man.

15. Bob

Bob Member

I expect Eddie to start at SF and fit in well with the current roster. With time he will contribute more offensively. But he will immediately bring with him shotblocking and rebounding which we currently aren't getting.

------------------