1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Debunking the Mo Can't Play Lo Thing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Damn Jeff, talk about a massacre???

My point is let's look at the Rockets future 4 spot, in let's say 2 years.

You have Taylor (6'9 - 260lbs), who during his entire career has been a below average rebounder & blocker, but does possess good offensive skills (but has a tendency to always be in foul trouble, and sits on the bench alot).

Then you have Griffin (6'10 - 227lbs ---still growing?), who could lead the NBA in block shots, be a top rebounder and could develop (in a few years) an arsenal of offensive threats. Look at that ESPN2 game. He faced his opponent (like Taylor), and made the outside jumper. He shot those back-to-back fadeaway baseline jumpers (like Hakeem), and he was active around the glass for put backs. I agree with the other poster that Griffin could be better than Rasheed in 2 years.

When asked, by Darkhorse, if he would be playing 3 for the Rockets, he replied, "No at the 4".

Maybe the coaches have already told him that he would be backing up Taylor? Who knows? Perhaps Taylor will be backing him up one day, but my question for Jeff is - CAN TAYLOR DEVELOP INTO THE ROCKETS FUTURE 3, if Griffin becomes one of the top PF's in the NBA? Since Griffin admits that he does not have the ball handling skills to play the 3, I just don't see it. I think Taylor/Griffin will be the Rockets future 4 spot, who is the starter in 2 years - who knows?

Jeff, regarding Rice? If sources close to the Rockets did tell ESPN about that deal, it only suggests that the Rockets are looking for a pure-shooting 3. I do not think Rice, and his contract, is the answer. But, Shandon is definitely not the answer!! He needs to take his place with this team, and backup Mobley at the 2 spot (to give us some depth). I would be shocked if we go into training camp will all of our 3 men still there. I bet their will be a trade coming up (with Hopefully Cato being involved).

------------------

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My point still is that it doesn't matter. Is Rasheed Wallace a 3 or a 4? Well, he plays with Dale Davis who is obviously a 4. Is Scottie Pippen a 3 or a 2? He played 2 last year?

Is Kevin Garnett a 3 or a 4? He played 3 when Joe Smith was there playing 4.

Is Theo Ratliff really a 5 or a 4? What about Antonio Davis? Magic Jonshon was 6'9". Why wasn't he a small forward?

The point is that positions have become less and less important in the scheme of things over the past 20 years. What is important is, "Can Mo and Griffin play on the floor at the same time and compliment one another and the team?" The coaches obviously believe they can or they wouldn't be re-signing Mo and I think they can as well.

"Sources close to the Rockets" also said that Toronto was offering Hakeem $20 million over 4 years. From what I was told, that story came from Fegan. I would not be surprised if the Rice story did as well. He is doing whatever he can to position his player for the biggest payoff.

I talked to a couple of people who told me that they would absolutely pass out if the Rockets agreed to a trade that brought someone with a $9 million salary here.

Remember CD saying that the sign and trades the Rockets had discussed weren't even enough for Fegan in terms of money? I would be willing to bet Rice was not the Rockets suggestion. The Rockets want their cap space and they want to bring back their players. That is abundantly clear by what they have said and done - in some cases, what they haven't said and haven't done. The longer the process goes, IMO, the closer the Rockets get to being forced to renouce Hakeem if they are indeed not willing to pay him (or any other player or combination of players) more than they have offered.

Sorry if I sounded harsh before. I didn't mean to. I was just trying to make my point. [​IMG]

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

3. barbourdg

Its cool Jeff, I did not take it personally. It actually made me laugh, that you dissected my post.

I guess time will tell if Mo & Eddie can play on the floor together. Its to bad that Taylor does not have some of Eddie's skills, or he would be a dangerous PF. In watching Griffin, and realizing that he is taller than Taylor, it just makes you wonder what his future holds, with the Rockets, and when he reaches his prime!!

What is your take on Shandon at the 3? You must be thinking with Griffin, Langhi, Walt, Morris & Bullard that not everybody will get playing time. I know almost everybody on this board would love Shandon to backup Mobley at the 2, but with the starter claus in his last contract - you must think that Fegan will demand that again. Then who wants to pay a bench player 4-5 million?

Since the Rocket's past on getting Loren Woods at Center (in the 2nd round), to grab Morris, then you would think that Morris would get some minutes at the 3? What are we up to now 6 small Forwards? I smell a trade coming!!

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

As far as I know, Shandon doesn't have a starter clause. I think he came here with the understanding that he would be able to compete for a starter's job but IMO it would be out of character for the Rockets to promise a starting job to anyone.

I see him as primarily a back up 2 playing some time at 3. I honestly think that Griffin, Morris and Langhi will split time at the 3 as the season draws on. Of course, Griffin will play some 4 and Langhi might even see some time at 2. Also, Williams could get more minutes to start the season and see them diminish if Morris produces. Also, we didn't pass up Woods to take Morris. We got Morris in trade from ATL.

It's really tough to predict because we don't know what we'll get from Langhi and Morris this year. For that matter, we don't know what we'll get from Griffin either. I mean, we're talking about a 19-year-old and two second round picks!

My guess is that the Rockets want to keep their options open with so many younger players there so Anderson, Williams and Bullard are great stand-by's in case there are jitters or injuries.

I don't necessarily smell a trade coming because our 3's are all over the map. It isn't inconceivable that Shandon could be sign-and-trade bait or that Walt could get dealt, but I don't know.

Here's a guess...

Griffin - probably will start at the 3 and play some minutes both at the 4 and 5. He might start at 4 and Mo at 3, but it isn't really as important as the match-ups.

Morris - I'd love to see him develop into a regular rotation guy but I don't want to hold out to much hope to start. There is definitely chemistry with he and Francis. Could be a steal or just an average player. I would think Sean Elliot should be his role model, the kidney thing notwithstanding. [​IMG]

Langhi - Dan just doesn't strike me as ready for the NBA on a regular basis quite yet. He can shoot and handle the ball but he seems a bit irratic. I think it will take him another year of time to bulk up and get his shot.

Williams - the team loves him and he is a VERY good influence on the young guys. He is good veteran leadership and there isn't any point in trading him since we can get out from under his contract after this season.

Anderson - I expect him to get minutes at both the 2 and the 3 and his play will dictate how much. He is still probalby the best one-on-one defender the team has and should be solid as a backup. He could make trade bait as well if Morris or Langhi develop quickly and can cover his role.

Bullard - Bull is back for veteran leadership and as insurance in case of an injury. With the new rules, his size and shooting touch won't hurt either. I think he'll see most of his time at the 4.

IMO, the only guys fixed in the rotation at this point are Francis, Mobley, Taylor and Norris. Cato will probably get one by default if Olajuwon doesn't return.

Beyond that, all the other positions are up for grabs. Certain people will get their minutes, but how many is really the question.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Obviously the Rockets aren't going to use Griffin as a full-time 4. Rasheed Wallace actually plated some time at the SF spot when Portland had Brian Grant and didn't have a problem with it. Some goes for Kevin Garnett. Eddie Griffin will be more like Garnett, a PF at the SF spot. Garnett shows that you don't have to be a great ball-handler to handle the 4. And PFs don't have to be shotblockers. Mo had to step up his rebounding at least 2 boards a game, but PFs don't have to be shotblockers.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If he was only a 4 the Rockets wouldn't have drafted him.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

7. barbourdg

Jeff, I am puzzled by the Shandon starting situation. I thought that he only came to the Rockets, if Rudy guaranteed him the starting position.

Also when Cat had his breakout year, I thought Rudy moved Shandon to the 3 posistion, to honor his (?) guarantee.

------------------

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I remember the Rockets even saying last year that they don't write starting positions into contracts. No team does that. It is bad for the team.

He came here because he felt it was the best place for him to develop and grow. He didn't like Utah and he would've been stuck behind Reggie Miller in Indiana.

Just because he started last year doesn't mean he'll keep that job. He was moved to 3 because that was the best team we could put on the floor to start.

------------------