1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Heavy investment in Kevin Porter Jr raises serious questions about Rockets front office

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that KPJ threw away his career doesn't change the fact that Jalen Green and Jabari Smith were absolutely terrible last season... but I understand how easily you get confused.

HillBoy likes this.
  2. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Harden paid $20k for Moses Malone Jr to get jumped and robbed.

Does that scream great character to you?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the common defense is that if they ask those questions and keep prodding for info, they lose access and possibly eventually their jobs. And let's face it - in reality do they really work for the readers? They can still be employed if they piss "Bob the Handyman" or "Dave the Dentist" off, but if you piss off the organization, I think the ramifications are a bit worse. Not to mention, the majority of fans probably don't even care about what's going on behind the scenes - they just want to watch basketball.

Even on the national stage, all the big names get all this information behind the scenes through leaks. It's not like they're asking hard-hitting questions during post-game interviews.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think this article shows Stone wasn't ready, but he deserves a chance to grow into the job.

Morey did too, maybe Stone will surprise us.

DD - from the Bangladesh bungalow

5. i3artow i3aller

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He is going on his 4th year. He's gotten a chance. He forced his will on his coaching staff and the franchise, and look how that turned out for us. It's time to clean house. He was a decent stop gap since he did an okay job drafting (maybe?) but other than that, I rather have a legit GM that can continue riding the ship as we hope to get back into being a competitive team.

Jags and kubli9 like this.
  7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree on the article being spot on but so were the "haters" around here that told that you were in love with fools gold.

Easy, AroundTheWorld and topfive like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

The craziest thing is that if Porter Jr hadn’t gotten into this situation now, we still would’ve had this guy as a priority. Ime Udoka looks even more like the best thing to happen for us since the Harden trade. And FVV’s contract more than worth it now.

Btw for people being judgmental and getting up on their high horses, remember that plenty of you were excusing a lot of these moves to appease KPJ; from Wall at home to playing that Brazilian nobody over Sengun.

What’s the most mind blowing thing right now though is how the **** did not only John Lucas, but also Lionel freaking Hollins allow KPJ to mess with them?! These were some of the toughest players when on the court and ripped guys new ones for a lot less on the sidelines…

9. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Things that losers would say for $100, Alex.

Deuce likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Overall we are moving in the right direction and a whole lot of that has to do with Rafael Stone.

KPJ had red flags, but I think the domestic abuse came as a shock to Rockets brass. I think the organization believed that he was a good soul and was hoping for maturity to fight off the demons over time. His family history and circumstance is truly horrific, and it is beyond sad that he has not been able to be a combo-breaker for his family. Instead, he is exactly who his Dad was. A domestic abuser that will likely get shot up in a club.

The reason that we have overlooked some of the red flags is because the franchise truly believed in him. From the owner down to the equipment managers, people in the organization loved KPJ. More often than not he was an incredibly kind human being that would give you the shirt off his back. Anyone here met him in person? I bet you had the same experience.

11. bigred77

bigred77 Member

The Rockets were (and still are) in a position where it makes sense to take big swings on talent, even if the chances of it working out are low.

The problem is they are clearly taking WAY too long to cut bait.

If you like KPJ, Nix, Bruno, etc. for whatever reason, sure take a flyer on them. See if they develop or if the rest of the league was wrong in assessing their talent. Maybe those immaturity problems resolve themselves. But don't wait YEARS to acknowledge something didn't work out when there is clear evidence in front of you. That's how you get embarrassed like we did.

BaselineFade and kubli9 like this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

to @TheRealist137 's point, the fact that KPJ threw his career away doesn't change the fact that he was coddled and over-prioritized either. It may even be the case that KPJ's situation hurt the guys around him too. More probably than not.

It also doesn't change the price of tea in China, and so on.

Anyway. Another day goes by, has the NBA concluded anything? Has any team asked on Bryan's trade availability? Seems like no. Cut this fool.

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

slothy420, Easy and Nook like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, if nothing happens before the weekend, I think the NBA will take it to next week.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Problem is that guys like BtG look at that coddling as a sign that they were right about the talent level. I mean, if the Rockets' GM thought it was worth all this risk, then of course that means that the talent WAS there and that these guys had properly assessed KPJ as a future star.

Of course, nothing says that Stone, BtG and the other KPJ fanbois can't ALL be wrong. **** happens. And many other NBA experts (FO people, media, players, etc.) got it right.

The reality is that Stone and the fanbois all completely miscalculated the headcase-to-talent ratio.

Deuce likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

KPJ & Rafael Stone should be gone ASAP. Stone gave treatment to a knucklehead that some Hall of Famers wouldn’t get. It’s really just dumb.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the history of Clutchfans, I've never seen @Clutch call out the FO, especially like this. This is a big deal.

BamBam, Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

You're saying when KPJ rammmed her car that came as a shock, right? That pretty much primed his pump for future abuse, We have heard from people with connections to the Rockets that there were people who hated KPJ.

Nook likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His Dad would actually be the one who could have been saved.

It sounded like his dad did not fully intend those 2 incidents. One that killed a minor girl and one that got himself killed.

#179 daywalker02, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

fackin'ell.

I mean really.

What's the "investigation"?

We all get the benefit of hindsight. Pro team capable of covering up some noise, no biggie. Believing in the better of your team, that's just fandom.

Fanboi just gonna stick to the guns though. 100% deflecting criticism. I mean at this point... saying he had no effect on those around him?

topfive likes this.