1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

man, apaches tirades used to at least be kinda entertaining to read for the comedy aspect, like how kpj was better then brunson cause brunson is short, or how miami would beat denver in 5 (because spo would need a game to adjust, apache would win that series in 4). Good times, sad it's come to this

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You said KPJ wouldn't lose money. Under this scenario, KPJ loses money.
    The Rockets, or another team if traded, will wait until the suspension is over before cutting him if they need to to avoid paying KPJ for suspended games (i.e., NBA Charities is getting money and not KPJ). KPJ gets $2M more for 2024, but would lose more for suspended games (NBA may even throw in a few more suspended games to keep KPJ from benefitting while suspended). Under this scenario, KPJ loses money.
    KPJ, contrary to your post that I quoted, will lose money. I don't see how that is hard to understand.

I highly doubt the NBA will select a path in which KPJ ends up not losing money.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The "return" ?

The Rockets couldn't trade this guy for a return before he tried to murder people.

duluth111222 and Damion Laverne like this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He has me on his ignore list, yet I can still see his post. I never even had beef with the kid, just didn't like one thing I said and went on a tirade from there. I really do hope he is doing alright in life, he seemed edgy to me. Needs to not take the internet so seriously.

astrosrule likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Ignore list does block it out but there is still a button that un-ignores his comments.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Got it, good to know.

7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry bro, I wasn't even trying to defend you, just didn't like him showing up after the KPJ fiasco talking down to people. I think you were collateral damage.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I think my quote was something along the lines of "he'll get all of his $15.8M". I was looking at it from the Rockets perspective. I don't really care about KPJ or what he gets.

I understand why you interpreted as KPJ won't lose money (badly worded on my part) but that's not what I was saying. My whole point was that the Rockets will end up paying the fully guaranteed amount of his contract.

ArtV likes this.
  9. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I have the Rockets down at a max of approximately $33M assuming a $150M salary cap:

VanVleet: $42.8
    Brooks: $22.3
    Green: $12.5
    Smith Jr: $9.8
    Thompson: $9.2
    Sengun: $5.4
    Eason: $3.7
    Whitmore: $3.4
    KPJ: $1M

Total: $110.1M

Then you have the Brooklyn Pick, let's assume #17 again for argument's sake, $3.2M, and three rookie minimum roster charges at $1.2M each.

Total $116.9M

The Rockets have 3 additional non-guaranteed deals that could be kept for trade purposes, enabling them to take back up to $32.1M in salary back if aggregated, or to hit the salary floor.

Uncle Jeff: $9.6
    Landale: $8.0
    Tate: $7.0

One other thing they could do to generate tradeable salary would be to hold Boban through the end of the year; if he is sign-and-traded, his new contract would need to be 3 years, but only the first year guaranteed. In order to use Boban in this way, he would need to be on the roster at the end of the league year. Would not be surprised if the Rockets try to keep him as a bench glue guy for as long as they can until they determine they won't be needing his salary slot next off-season.

RocketWalta, JoeBarelyCares and Easy like this.
  10. PatBev

PatBev Member

Haven’t read this thread but Jordan Clarkson?

Utah is a great place for KPJ

FLAGRANT1 likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thank you!

So we do have some room to sign someone useful if we want. And we have some contracts for trade fillers in case something good is available.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

This is all so silly. Jerry West, Sam Presti, Durrell Marley, Pat Riley, and Red Auerbach could all link up together and create a killer Transformers Combiner GM machine and they still wouldn't be able to trade KPJ.

13. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Who said they wanted to trade him?

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I've heard the Pacers have been asking for a non attempted manslaughter in return, so no relevance to this thread.

16. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Why would Utah give up a player who's coming off a 20/4/4 season for a woman beater?

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Rockets need to save their draft capital for something productive just cut Porter and take this seasons salary as a loss.

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Would a Brogdon trade make sense for us and Boston?

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Posted in another stream, but maybe KPJ, Tate and some draft capital for Heild would give you a great instant offense off the bench vet. He is on an expiring contract so after a while he becomes a trade asset if he performs and we are not in it for the play-in. I have no idea how much draft capital he is worth, anyone else have an idea?

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  20. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Rockets yes, Boston... not so much.

They're contending.