1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

No cap, breh. Wanna do some research?

2. Xerobull

Four times? WTF are you doing with your life?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. Xerobull

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The article is about a variant that wasn't around when Trump was president.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

twice for me. once July 2022, once this month. second time seemed to start same as the first, seemed like a sinus infection, then turned into covid. ugh lol.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I work in healthcare, got the initial 2 vaccine shots faster than most of the general public, but that was all I did. I've been around active Covid patients but always wore a mask. I was able to avoid getting sick up until last month when I flew to Houston with my wife. She was sick a couple days after our flight, and then I got sick a couple of days after that. She/we infected 4 of our family members in Houston, mind you we were no longer wearing masks as we assumed the pandemic was over. It was a pretty bad flu in that it lasted for so long, not as much in it's intensity. I got the H1N1 flu back in 2009 and that was much more intense. I'm back to 100% now but there was a lingering cough and brain fog for a good 3 weeks.

ROCKSS and basso like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

glad you're on the mend breh.

ROCKSS and kubli9 like this.
  9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Ever since kid started prek, someone has been sick in our family. Pretty sure I got COVID last week. Was just like the last time. Most of it was just the headache and bodyaches that sucked. Probably worse cause I didn't have time to be sick with the kids and work to do. Main complaint though is that each time I get it me asthma comes back really bad for a few weeks. I had to get an inhaler and that's barely worked. If I even go on a walk, it's hard to breath. I usually workout every day or run but slowed that down. I had been asthma free for almost 30 years before COVID last year. So annoying. My taste and smell are still off from last summer. Can't eat bananas, cucumbers or watermelon mainly. Anything perfumed, shampoo and deodorant all smell rotten. So stupid. The actual sickness wasn't that bad for me but the residual symptoms suck.

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My kid caught COVID-19 at school last week, and his infection was relatively mild. I thought maybe I was having allergies and was just very tired, but now I am pretty sure I developed a very mild case of COVID myocarditis. There has been no effect on my cardiac function, but I suddenly developed minor heart rhythm issue that is already getting better. I am not going to bother scheduling a cardiac MRI since I expect this to be self-limiting whether there is active inflammation or not in my left ventricle.

tinman, ROCKSS and basso like this.
  11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my wife lost her sense of taste/smell the first time she had it, very early on in the pandemic, but it's mostly come back.

I, on the other hand, have developed a "supersonic" sense of smell, and can smell things no one else in the house can. it's very distracting, and I constantly think something is on fire.

CCity Zero and tinman like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

My wife, daughter and I tested positive this past Sunday. Our first experience with Covid. We must have picked it up on our last day or two of our trip to Italy. Symptoms as described by others... head and chest congestion, sore throat, head aches, slight body aches and chills. My daughter lost her sense of smell and taste. My wife's sore throat seems worse than mine. My headaches seem worse than theirs.

Most worried about my daughter since she had transposition of the great vessels when she was born and as such is high risk. But she seems to be recovering well.

IBTL and basso like this.
  13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

When I first got it, it did smell like something was on fire or a similar smell. My taste seemed like there was metal in my mouth or something. Then it just went away.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like super powers

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Just a reminder, if you fall into a high risk group (overweight, high blood pressure, immunosuppressed, diabetic, etc.) Paxlovid is free and a very good antiviral that has been proven effective in reducing the worst outcomes and shortening the symptoms of COVID. My wife is immunosuppressed so our Doctor gave us standing prescriptions to get the course if we test positive.

When we got COVID last year, symptoms subsided within 24 hours of starting it. The only negative is a pretty large portion of people get a nasty taste in their mouth as a side effect.

The other thing to remember is that it works like Tamiflu. You have to start it within 48 hours of symptoms and the sooner the better.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I am obese per BMI and my COVID symptoms were the same as the common cold. I was fine after one day. My best friend was put on a ventilator and died after 4 months. For the vast majority of people, COVID is nothing. For some tiny minority, it is devastating. That's how diseases work.

17. NewRoxFan

I am not obese by BMI standards (I ride almost every day) but I haven't gotten better so they now think I have a secondary infection. They are prescribing antibiotics and steroids. :confused:

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dislike.

basso likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Get well soon!

Did you take Paxlovid?

You are eligible, due to age (unless you are taking medication that would present a counter-indication).

20. NewRoxFan

I demonstrated symptoms on Friday of last week.