1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long to Wait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Major, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

Yes, there are a thousand Hakeem threads. Yes, this is yet another one; however, this is a slightly different topic.

Please don't get into an argument about whether Hakeem is worth it, or how much he's worth -- we've been through that 8,000 times now, and no one has changed anyone's mind.

My question is how long do we wait? Regardless of the amount of salary you think is acceptable, suppose Hakeem is unwilling to commit. Should we give him another week? A month? Through September? Opening Day? New Year's? Until the trade deadline? Where is the limit, and why?

In my opinion, he's already had a month -- I would have put July 31st as the deadline, but I doubt that will happen. I hope they give him no more than through Friday, personally.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I think I would say give Dream another week at most. He has had more than enough time to weigh all his options, and I am of the opinion that he has likely already made his mind up (just with no complete certainty). I think some kind of time constraint, properly announced, could get Dream's gears in motion and convince him to finally make his decision publicly.

Of course, I am slightly biased, as I am very tired of waiting for him to decide. [​IMG]

------------------
    Well, I'm your man. I'm the bloody b*stard you wanted when you had me spawned. I'm your tool, and what difference does it make if I hate the part of me that you most need? What difference does it make that when the little serpents killed me in the game, I agreed with them, and was glad?

-- Ender Wiggin

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is a common misconception, cultivated by poor research from I believe the Utah/Toronto/NY papers. The same people that said we don't want to resign him because of the luxury tax, while we're around 30 mill under the luxury tax, IF it even occurs. You CAN sign and trade a renounced player. The only part that renouncing would do, is it limits the raises we can give him, from 12.5% to 10%. That is why we have an advantage. Even if we offer the same base as someone else, we can give Hakeem 12.5% increases, while others can only give 10%. The increase gives us even more of an edge in the sign and trade area.

I give it another week for Hakeem to make up his mind, realizing that if Hakeem is leaving, it may take several more days in sign and trade negotiations, or perhaps 3-way negotations.

ROX-that's a very good point. If it does involve some big salaries/BYC players we'd have to wait into August anyhow to finalize things.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

4. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I like this answer.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I thought that if you renounced a player you couldn't re-sign him until 2 months later, or is that after you waive player?

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think it all depends on what the Rockets plans are if he doesn't sign. Also, do they already have agreements with their other FAs no matter what happens with Hakeem? If they do, then maybe there isn't a rush. If they're just going to go with Cato, Collier, and whoever at center if they don't have Hakeem, there's no rush either. If they're not planning on making any trades, and they already have agreements with their other FAs, it seems like they could wait until training camp if they had to. Also, if Hakeem is their only trade bait, it seems like he could be more valuable unsigned than signed, that way they could decide on the exact amount to sign him to for a sign and trade. But hey, I'm no cap guru.

7. j-bone

j-bone Member

I say we've waited a year and a half too long already!!!

------------------
    The intelligent prediction from Moses Malone: "Foe, Foe, Foe".

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Probably we wait until the first week of August, when the BYC of certain players (Cato? Croshere? et al) changes, and then CD can say "we tried, but..." w/o looking like a deal was reached to trade Houston's icon weeks ago.

Just a guess.

------------------

9. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

...wait until Tuesday, 11:37 a.m. [​IMG]

10. drpepper

drpepper Member

I would give him until monday night. Tuesday morning I renounce him screwing up his game plan and limiting his options since there can't be a S&T if he is renounced. Now let's see what he can make. I honestly think he's curious to see if MJ returns.

------------------