1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As grotesque as that might sound I also think Primo would be someone a franchise like the Rockets would consider.

They know no shame in my opinion. Until Primo hits them in the face and they dump him.

Until Primo pulls his pants down on the Rockets....

Chayvan likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It just comes back to the question: If KPJ's contract has value, why didn't they trade him BEFORE the scandal?

BHannes2BHonest, B-Bob, YOLO and 5 others like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't get it - there's a poster or 2 here who think that NBA fans are not "emotional" but instead 4 million parameter vector optimizers and are absolutely fine with acquriing Porter fresh out of Rikers because it... lowers Joe Lacobs repeater tax

I mean, sure i don't doubt there are GM brainiax who think this but - there's still a few ounces of shame left in normal society that make this nontenable.

4. SamFisher

Because now you get "salary dump" and draft assets as well as a permanent PR stain that will make media day great again.

Not sure what teams are clearing up cap room after the FA period is actually over but - Process Brain never sleeps

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't want to be that guy, but it's spelled GOOD LAWD. Don't forget the swag.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Saving 16 million dollars and gaining a couple picks isn't a reason? Seems like several reasons to me.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I read somewhere that if he is waived before the season begins, he's only guaranteed 3 million. That's incorrect?

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/kevin-porter-jr-31589/

According to this, next year is partially guaranteed. Yeah, we have to check because we got the year mixed up.

I am not sure how this is structured for this year.

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Some of these posts make my head hurt.

Y'all, KPJ has no value. But we have draft picks, and his contract can be used in a trade. If we cut him, it's not like we gain any space to replace him. Whatever team is trading for him will cut him. It's exactly what the Heat did with Meyers Leonard and a SRP for Trevor Ariza. He could also be used to help facilitate a three-team trade.

Seriously, this is not complicated.

Xopher, CXbby, jchu14 and 3 others like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

From my understanding, his contract is guaranteed this season, and next season it is not at all guaranteed unless he is on the team at certain points.

• 2024-25: non-guaranteed, $1 million guaranteed on 7/1/23, $3 million guaranteed on Opening Night, $6 million guaranteed 5 days after 2024 trade deadline (est. 2/28/24), fully guaranteed on 6/30/24

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I think the reference you were quoting is referring to the start of the NBA season, not the first game of the season.The new season starts July 1st. So, on Jult 1 2023, the 2023-24 season officially started. Porter's 2023-24 salary is $15.8m.

$3m sounds about right for his contract last season, but unless there was an option in his contract for '23-'24 then they would still owe this year's full salary regardless of when they released him. I've always seen that the only guarenteed money on the new deal was the '23-24 season which is $15.8m.

Williamson and SamFisher like this.
  12. Fantasma Negro

No one is trading anything for that piece of trash, but his b**** ass will be trading in his freedom to get pounded in the ass in prison hopefully soon

daywalker02 and omgTHEpotential like this.
  13. SamFisher

He's surely going to be terminated for cause at some point and get nothing in any event. Even in the bizarre-o universe where teams willlingly line up to trade for an inmate "because contract" and it's "no pr hit" - my guess is that the League or NBPA or CBA wouldn't allow you to trade for a contract that you already knew you weren't going to honor and terminate for cause before you acquired it. Haven't bothered to look it up, so maybe this is a gray area that gets arbitrated or something.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I'm absolutely confident that Stone will take this already bad situation and somehow make it worse. Teams should be lining up to take advantage of him at this point...

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is a timing thing. The Rockets want a star that isn't too old. KPJ's $15.8M combines easily with other contracts to match $30-$50M contracts pretty easily. When the other team wants (feels forced) to trade the star is the key deciding factor on timing.

I think Brooks is a BYC player for 6 months. Until then, I think he's difficult to trade, and the Rockets are unable to match big salaries without giving up someone they want to keep.

Easy likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

okc doesn't have cap issues and clearly no need for picks when they already have a bag full of them for a long time. yeah none of those reasons apply to okc. sounds good as a cliche but doesn't actually matter to okc. couple all that with associating their organization with a woman beater in okc of all places. yeah no chance

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trade market is still slowed/stagnant awaiting Lillard/Harden move......

18. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Fertits is the kind of guy who looks between his legs everyday and wonders whether he should flush it or plate and serve it at Landry’s.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Some of yall delusional as **** disguised as wanna be GM geniuses..

Invisible Fan and kubli9 like this.
  20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

underrated post. Dude definitely had range if not always accuracy or court savvy.