1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Targets for a KPJ Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jags, Sep 13, 2023.

1. Jags

Jags Member

Here’s a list of players on mediocre teams that can shoot and are within KPJ’s salary range:

Joe Harris — Brooklyn, $19M expiring
    Buddy Hield — Indiana, $19M expiring
    Evan Fournier — New York, $18M with TO second year
    Gary Trent Jr — Toronto, $18M expiring
    Davis Bertans — OKC, $17M with 2 years left

Something tells me we’ll end up with Bertans. Former ties with Udoka and Tiago, and Presti/Stone have a decent history of deals together.

#1 Jags, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL at the thought of getting anything outside of a bonafide scrub. And even that’s a stretch. The delusional kpj takes never stop

3. Jags

Jags Member

That’s what the draft compensation is for. But I’m with you on KPJ’s value. He’s worthless. I look at it as an expiring contract + draft compensation.

It would have to be a decent FRP though for one of these guys.

4. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Cash considerations......

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  5. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

I think it would be for big multi year contracts people want to dump. The other team could swap them and just have one year salary back and then will simply waive KPJ and they get some of our draft assets. They save money and get assets and waive him immediately. Seems like a good deal TBH. Wonder what $15 mill or so multi year contract players teams want to shed?

34to11, RedRedemption and DaDakota like this.
  6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bertans was salary dumped to okc with picks attached so he has negative value, it would be better off just to cut kpj.

Joe Harris and Fournier could be useful for a second round pick. Don’t really want to give up firsts for Trent or Hield since they are FA and may leave next year.

Luke Kennard is another name to watch for.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dame - Portland
    Harden - Philly

Both Philly and Portland could use those picks, more than we could.....we might be able to get a great player for our draft capital - they absorb KPJ's contract and cut him.....immediately.

DD

8. kpdark

kpdark Member

Morey would love to have those BKN and HOU 1RPicks

DaDakota likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

kpj is only 1 year of dead money, would be idiotic to trade him for dead money that goes out further. If you do kpj for bertans, okc has to attach picks to make that work

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What team would even want the PR hit of trading for a guy who broke his girlfriend's neck and choked her?

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, if KPJ is only guaranteed for 3 million right now, I could definitely see a team like OKC trading a dead salary like Bertans for him IF you include a few second rounders. They dump KPJ, save 16 million and two more second rounders to their hoard of picks.

I can't say I would be excited about that move though.

Y2JT likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Okc has no reason to do any of this

13. psman2

psman2 Member

Memphis is very likely going to play Kennard 25+ minutes especially to start the season, no way would the Rockets value him more than Memphis as a win now team in need of shooting and wing help. He is worth more to them than we would be willing to pay.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

hoping we can get hardon

clutchdabear, apollo33 and Dredd like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No such thing as PR really if the team is successful, we've seen this time and time again in sports.

How many Astros fans even mention that the team had Osuna on the roster? They traded for the dude in the middle of his investigation at that.

If a team trades for him they will do thinking it makes the team better, although I'm sure they will cut him as he's really not good enough to deal with keeping him like other troubled players.

DaDakota likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Is the idea that someone else gets to cut KPJ for free and the Rockets just want to use their cap space on a large contract?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look we don't need those picks for the next 5 years, as we get better those picks get worse and our team is SUPER YOUNG, we don't need anymore young guys for at least 3 to 4 years....

So let's leverage them now with KPJ's contract to a team that has a disgruntled star - and then flip that Star somewhere else if we don't like the player, Harden etc.....or Dame.....would be my two targets.

DD

Y2JT and hlmbasketball like this.
  18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Bertans is probably the only feasible option here, and I don’t want him. I wouldn’t want to attach significant draft pick compensation for any of the other guys.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You want to trade for a player like Lillard or Harden with KPJ? How many thousand 1st round picks are we talking about? So the Rockets have no trade assets for the next 7 years besides players.

Then who are benching FVV or Green? How do you know what to pay Green this off-season if you are benching him and decreasing his minutes? Or, how do you sign FVV to the contract and then bench him?

By the time the Rockets are good they will be paying Lillard $60 million a year and will have to let some of their young guys go. Which will then lower the teams ceiling outcome when they are entering their primes. While Lillard gets worse and worse.

I don’t know…… sounds like an extremely bad trade. With a 0.000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening.

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There are a few possibilities, but the main idea is KPJ's team friendly but sizeable contract means the Rockets can trade him to another team that wants to offload a sizeable contract, and both teams end up better off because one gets to unload a contract and the other gets a potentially helpful player in return.

Depending on who benefits more, we can expect a draft pick to be attached, but likely no better than a 2nd rounder. If the player the Rockets get back is a quality veteran, the Rockets will give up a 2nd rounder. If the player the Rockets get back is unplayable, the Rockets will receive a pick in return.

Based on reports, it seems like the Rockets are looking for a quality player in return, so they are the ones giving up a pick, and likely a later 2nd rounder.

34to11, Corrosion and napalm06 like this.