1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. arrested for domestic violence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 11, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can bet half of those criminals are pleading they have serious mental issues.......they rather be in an asylum than doing time.

Easy likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Making social policy decisions on anecdotal evidence is pretty stupid.

I know some people are going to roll their eyes when I say this rern but a core aspect of fascism is how fascists can always create a narrative that there must be more "law and order" because there will always be horrific anecdotes to spread and fear monger over regardless of how rare they happen to justify more draconian criminal justice systems.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

https://deadspin.com/kevin-porter-jr-rockets-arrest-domestic-violence-kysre-1850836295

Kevin Porter Jr. dodged accountability for far too long
    This is not even his first domestic violence arrest
    By
    DJ Dunson
    Published52 minutes ago

The arrest of Kevin Porter Jr. on charges of felony assault and strangulation related to the beating of his girlfriend Kysre Gondrezic early Monday at the Millenium Hilton in Manhattan. was the last straw for the soon-to-be-former Houston Rocket. Prosecutors say Porter punched Gondrezick with an open fist and didn’t stop until she ran into the hallway bloodied. Gondrezick also told authorities that Porter wrapped his hands around her neck so tightly that she lost motion in her left arm, developed bruising on her neck, and had difficulty breathing. The attack was so severe that he allegedly fractured her vertebrae.

The Rockets are likely dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s, but his name should be wiped from their websites, and his image from promotional material in the coming days. He’s done in this league. Miles Bridges’ second chance with the Charlotte Hornets after brutally beating his girlfriend is already a tough pill to swallow, but Porter’s already blown through a dozen flashing lights to reach this nexus point.

From a strictly basketball perspective, Porter has been a tantalizing talent at either guard position, but he was always waiting to burst at the seams. The not-so-dirty secrets around the league have begun spilling out into the mainstream, but many of Porter Jr.’s indiscretions were already known.

His track record as a dangerous loose cannon is extensive. During his freshman season at USC, Porter was suspended for personal conduct issues by Andy Enfield and returned for the remainder of the season, but character issues, and violent proclivities dogged him throughout his career.

In late 2020, he was arrested for allegedly throwing a drink in the face of a woman, ripping her wig off, and punching her in the left side of the face during an argument at a Cleveland apartment complex. And that was with his mother present.

After he flipped his Mercedes SUV in southeast Cleveland, Porter was arrested and charged with improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle when investigators discovered a .45 caliber handgun. However, a grand jury refused to indict, and the charges were dismissed.

A year into the pandemic, Porter was participating in a fight outside a Miami strip club with a group who was jumping his teammate, Sterling Brown. There’s nothing inherently wrong with defending a teammate, but mixed in with the mosaic of blots on his growing personal incident report, Porter’s participation in the brawl was another headache.

He couldn’t even be entrusted with the simplest of tasks, like staying for entire games or being critiqued by coaches. In January 2022, Porter threw an object and attempted to tussle with assistant coach John Lucas — who is known league-wide as the guy who can get through to pros with troubled personal lives — before getting into his car and leaving the arena.

Porter was so problematic in Cleveland that after his locker was moved for a recently traded player midway through the 2020-21 season, he threw a tantrum before turning his eyes on General Manager Koby Altman, and the Cavaliers outright waived a 20-year-old rookie first-rounder just 50 games into his NBA ascent. Cleveland understood that his issues extended beyond basketball and the Rockets were more than happy to swoop in and try to rehabilitate him and his career.

The Manhattan assistant district attorney investigating Porter’s case, Mirah Curzer, also said Porter had a history of abusing Gondrezick — including an incident in which he rammed his car into hers. Given his history, it’s not hard to believe. This week, Houston Rockets writer, and podcast host Jackson Gatlin shared a story of Porter destroying a club DJ’s laptop that exemplified his volatility. There’s no telling how many other flare-ups haven’t been disclosed yet, but Porter Jr. has always been on the verge of detonation. It shouldn’t have taken a dramatic instance for everyone to shun him and go public with stories of their run-ins with his temper.

Porter won’t be on the Rockets long. His emotional outbursts are so renowned that the Rockets included wording in his $82 million extension that would allow the Rockets to release him at any point before opening night without paying him guaranteed money. He’s so reviled that he couldn’t even earn a guaranteed deal at age 22 after starting all 61 games he was active for.

Yung-T, Invisible Fan and DaDakota like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but your really think that case was close to the same level of physical evidence that has been proven here.

That's my whole point. Are we comparing evidence, or are you trying to tell me everything hinges on victim testimony, in every DV case. It doesn't.
    You keep mentioning this guy. I have no opinion on it, but in a quick search, do you honestly think the prosecutors in that case had the same level of evidence that this case has proof of -- already.

That's my whole point. Are we comparing evidence, or are you trying to tell me everything hinges on victim testimony, in every DV case. It doesn't.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, I read that, already. So, do you think she is denying that she said anything to police at the scene? Or any responders to the 911 call? I didn't read it that way.

That's all evidence.

6. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In before DD doesn't believe Jackson.....

Deuce likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was also reading into it that she might have been addressing the public not to be too harsh on Porter Jr. rather than backtracking on former statements............

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Is he capable of a crab walk to escape prison? We will see.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

JESUS NO

Just cut him don't trade away our picks to get rid of him...CUT HIS ASS

DD

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This is the price for signing bad contracts, you end up wasting picks to dump them. We’ll see this brooks soon enough

Easy and cdastros like this.
  13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

What team is looking to dump and pay / take on his guaranteed money? And then we probably have to give up draft capital too?? GTFO Tillman!

just dump him before start of season. They can take on the small cap hit this year and next, really not that bad. TILLMAN BEING CHEAP AGAIN!!!

Arnel and Easy like this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So Tilman would rather give up draft assets than swallow the 15M? I guess I'm not surprised.

15. i3artow i3aller

Trade?! :D

Easy likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought that guy was there to sip a coffee but I am wrong, he obviously is looking at his bank accounts or off shore accounts every minute.

Easy likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Okay I had to chuckle at this. Like are going to send Jabari or Green or Sengun with KPJ and nothing in return because KPJ is that much of a negative now that only a really young promising f player without issues also would need to be included just to get neutral value for the other team.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    Bro - when you lead with "at least she's not dead like Nicole Brown, that's not a mere domestic violence thing" i start to see why you're taking the position you are. :rolleyes:

Doing the right thing and publicly cutting ties with KPJ doesn't take a genius or a saint and not doing so - because"we" (funny because it's not actually "you" or "I " - but Tilman has clowned you into thinking it is a first person plural situation ) can save "our" selves a few bucks based on some nonsensical legal probability is just cowardly

Sometimes the right thing to do is just.... the right thing to do.

The funny thing is it's actually easier for people like Tilman to do the right thing, but they've bamboozled you into thinking it's the opposite.

What a world. Late stage capitalism folks.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's just sad and pathetic, classic Fertits.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Wonder if this means they know it’s not as brutal as the breaking news made it sound out to be. Makes you think he’ll play again down the line

I hyped this kid up for 3 years. Was more excited for the Amen/KPJ bench duo then our own starters. This is how I imagine being disappointed in a child must feel

HD729 likes this.