1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD: Fegan meeting "encouraging"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 27, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

I'm curious to know what Fegan wants CD to do. Obviously, the middle class exception isn't enough. But nobody else can offer him more. What the heck is Hakeem going to do if the Rockets don't give him more? Retire?

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How long have these guys been "hashing" things out? Its really not that difficult guys.

Wine, dine and 69 ... lets get it over with ... you are either in or out!

------------------
    "Where there is a will ... I want on it."

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I remember on too many occasions where Dream would get the ball and do his move and pass the ball. He CANNOT create the shots that he use to. Defenders now can guard against the inside the lane jump hook because he does not get the seperation. He just does not have the athletism he once had and his moves were predicated on his speed and agility. Dream would get more touches if he was more productive. I am tired of reading about that 10 game stretch at the end of the year. What about the other 72 games?

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

[This message has been edited by bigboymumu (edited July 27, 2001).]

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

CD made the frst references to 'clearing cap room' this week. I think that is what Fegan has in mind.
    CD wants to sign Hakeem at a number that would allow the Rockets to retain their under- contract players and resign their FA's.
    Fagen says Hakeem is the teams priority, you will have to move players for cap space (like who?..how?) or forgo one or more of your FA's.
    I wish CD would just tell him, hey, we will beat any bonafide offer made by any team in the next 7 days. If a team wants to do a sign and trade,let's see the deal this week. If we can't reach a deal in that timeframe we will have to move on with our other prioritities.
    The sh*tty part of that is having to come right back to Fagen for the other deals.

How can he fairly represent3 clients when they are all trying to get a bigger piece of the same pie?

------------------
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Gene-
    Exactly!

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I agree with Da on this one. I don't think Hakeem really can imagine hiself playing his last games for some other teams. This is all negotiating. It isn't about the money although I know he would HATE being paid less than Cato; he just wants the recognition and respect he believes he is due. It's like deja vu all over again for like the third or fourth time. Hakeem gets petulant because he is not THE center of attention.
    The Rockets are doing their requisite groveling. And Hakeem will eventually decide he has had his ass kissed enough ,he will declare he is signing for x dollars "for the good of the team" and he will onced again be hailed as a hero. (till about mid-season when he will once again pout about the offense not running through him)

------------------
    Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative

7. sleepyfloyd

sleepyfloyd Member

Hopefully the Rockets won't make the same mistake of not using him more in the offense. Once they started using him more, both Hakeem, and the Rockets as a whole played much better.

------------------

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

He actually played good for the second half of the season. Even the national media was saying they were wrong for saying Dream had nothing left. I don't think he wants the offense ran through him, but he know he's can help (so does the team.) When he wasn't being played we were struggling to be a .500 team and when everything was cleared up we were one of the hottest teams out there, but I guess you, like many others, forgot this.

------------------

I have seen much of the rest of the web. It is brutal and cruel and dark. CC.net is the light.

9. harumph

harumph Member

I want Shandon to sue Fegan when he gets the short end of this deal (ie no Rox money). Conflict of interest, negligence, incompetence (for Shandon, not Hakeem)....

------------------
    D'oh! (_8(|) - a thought on Hakeem leaving

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Excuse us for not remembering that. You know you are right. It was because of Olajuwon that we had such a great second half. I mean he did play in 24 of the last 52 games. He did average double figure rebounds in 11 of the last 52 games. He did score over 20, 4 out of the last 52 games. You are right. He was THE reason we won so many games late last season.

He had his best games versus teams without a legitimate center with maybe a few exceptions. You know he scored 2 points against the Lakers? Of course you do. I mean WE are the ones that do not remember.

Franchise, Cat, Moochie, Mo, and KT did not do much. I mean not like Dream. They really did not improve in the second half of the season. They did not learn how to play as a team. It was Dream that helped the Rockets at the start of the games, not Mo. It wasn't Steve who lead the team in rebounds. It wasn't Cat who averaged nearly 20 points a game. Hell, it wasn't even Shandon who guarded the oppositions best offensive player. You are right, We DO FORGET. SHAME ON US.

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What does he want then? MONEY?

------------------
    Fuggetabout it

12. Swami

Swami Member

Well said bigboy! Does anyone ever wonder if the die-hard Dream posters are really just totally blinded by their undying love for Dream or if they are just low-life interns working minimum wage for Feagan?

------------------

13. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Wasn't Fegan the old ringleader who led the boys into a life of crime in Oliver Twist?

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."