1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you pay $20-$35 for ESPN standalone streaming?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 25, 2023.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Would you pay $20-$35 for ESPN standalone streaming?

DeBeards and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't really even watch ESPN now, so ... no. It's getting to the point I'm even considering if I want to pay for League Pass.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I'm more interested in a deal to watch my teams.

Or even more interesting... the ability to buy games. Or even buy the playoffs. A la carte.

ROCKSS and Jontro like this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ROXRAN and tinman like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

hell yeuhhh.... about time. i think that's a little cheap too

Dredd likes this.
  6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Everything We Know About ESPN’s Plans to Leave Cable TV & Offer a Stand Alone Streaming Service (May 2023)

What price should you expect for ESPN as a standalone service?

ESPN reportedly gets, on average $9.42 from each cable TV subscriber. Pricing the service at $15 a month could mean Disney will get a larger profit for each subscriber.

For this discussion, will round it up from $9.42 to $10 for each cable subscriber.

If they price the streaming service at $25 (or more), then it could force some people into making tough decisions.

ESPN + some other streaming content could bring a monthly bill close to what people are currently paying for bundled/packaged content from cable and satellite providers.

If one is interested in ESPN and not much else, then choosing the streaming over the bundled/packaged content makes sense.

If one is going to be consuming a decent amount of content beyond ESPN, then they might be better off sticking with the bundles/packages.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would not pay a single penny to ESPN.

They are trash.

ROCKSS, Jontro and ROXRAN like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did they fire the whole nba crew and replace them with Malika Andrews?
    @ROXRAN @Os Trigonum

yeah…

Jontro likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I was more curious to see if Disney would try to sell ESPN like rumors have them doing and who would buy it.

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

ESPN (read Disney) has been cutting costs, so I don't know if they are working on profitability for their own purposes or to polish it up for a sale.

Apple definitely has a Fat Wallet, so it is doable if they want to buy. No idea who they would be bidding against.

AT&T, Verizon and probably T-Mobile as well aren't that financially strong at the moment, so will drop them from consideration.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

**** no.

No PL. Inferior basketball coverage. My teams won't be featured/covered. What would I be paying for?

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

With how much of the cable subscription they both are take ESPN and Disney off cable and cable might be worth signing up for again.

Xerobull and heypartner like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Apple, Amazon, Fox, then the government has some fun because of monopoly issues

14. Space Ghost

Couldn't pay me to watch that trash

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Tuning in at X time for x show is just a weird concept now.

rhino17 and ryan_98 like this.
  16. Space Ghost

While using the X app?

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What is woke? Give me a definition.

IBTL likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My friend who works at Disney in LA thinks it's inevitable that ESPN is sold. This is not insider information, as he works with Disney films so doesn't have any direct knowledge of ESPN, but that's the way he thinks it will play out.

I am more skeptical of any such sale, at least until the current FTC chair and antitrust head are no longer in those roles. They are not fans of super mergers.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The two "hottest" rumors lately have revolved around Amazon and Apple. Rumors not a couple of weeks ago centered around Amazon the most, but who knows.

Yeah, it's pretty much a given they'll be sold somehow, but to whom and when is the question. This sale has been rumored for months now, I think. I thought some of the reason for the layoffs was to prepare for some type of sale.

In any case, as it stands, there's really nothing ESPN offers that I need or really have to watch, so I don't care (apart from I own both Apple and Amazon stock). Maybe this is some of the problem with selling it off because the company that acquires it also has to deal with people saying "whatever".

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think ESPN's value will only go down over time. I think thats why Disney is inclined to sell it now.

For being an exclusively sports channel, ESPN doesn't have a ton of exclusive sports. With cable dying, I don't know that there is a ton of streaming value in the Network. If an ESPN streamer was a one stop shop for all sports, maybe it could work, but that isn't the case. Selling now makes sense to me.