1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Texans get a new look on O-line

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2733653

Pitts shifts positions to help Texans
    A new look on the O-line

By JOSEPH DUARTE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Chester Pitts is moving back to his "natural" position on the offensive line.

Funny, considering the next game he plays at left guard will be his first.

"It's new all over again," Pitts said during a recent two-a-day workout at Reliant Park.

After two seasons as the starting left tackle, Pitts moved inside to guard during the offseason as the Texans looked for a way to get second-year tackle Seth Wand into the starting lineup. By doing so, the Texans finally have Pitts where they wanted him all along.

The original plan was for Pitts — taken by the Texans in the second round of their inaugural 2002 draft — to play left guard alongside Pro Bowl tackle Tony Boselli. However, career-ending shoulder injuries to Boselli forced the Texans to play Pitts as a rookie at one of the most physically demanding positions in the NFL.

"He was put in a tough situation," coach Dom Capers said. "The normal procedure when you come into this league is to go out, fight your tail off, maybe contribute on special teams and learn the ropes as a backup. Once Tony Boselli had his injury, Chester was thrust right into the starter's position."

As the young Texans offense matured, so did Pitts. After 32 straight starts at left tackle, Pitts admits he was beginning to get comfortable at a position where the main responsibility involves protecting quarterback David Carr's blind side.

Now Pitts goes from making 32 straight starts at left tackle to a position he has never played. He never played during high school; in fact California Academy for Math and Science in Los Angeles didn't even have a football team. Not during two seasons as a walk-on at San Diego State.

Pitts said he did not learn of the position switch until before a practice this offseason.

"I wouldn't say I was disappointed," Pitts said. "At first, it was a little blow to my pride because I felt like I didn't do a good enough job. To me, it doesn't really matter as long as I'm on the field."

Pitts admits he had to "grow up fast" starting at left tackle as a rookie. He was matched up weekly against top pass rushers. The Texans allowed 76 sacks — an NFL record for an individual quarterback — in 2002 as Carr was running for his life. That total was cut to 36 last season.

The biggest adjustment, Pitts said, involves different blocking assignments and a smaller margin for error.

Rather than be able to take two or three steps back and engage a pass rusher, "as soon as he gets off the ball we're in his face," defensive end Robaire Smith said.

"In today's game, there's no room for error — anywhere," offensive coordinator Chris Palmer added. "It's a fast-paced game. You can't afford to make a mistake."

Like the rest of the offensive line, Pitts is also learning the new zone-blocking scheme the Texans will use this season.

Capers said Pitts' move to guard was just as much about getting Wand on the field as where Pitts could help the team most.

Even if it means somewhere he has never played.

"We feel like he's got those kind of abilities," Capers said. "You always look for a guy you know you can count on being there week in and week out."