1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. ImG

ImG Member

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

So we have to outscore everybody. That is a Dusty issue. He is still puking out platitudes from the small ball era. The game has passed him by.

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most beautiful thing I've seen today...

No Worries likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Shouldn't he be there?

donkeypunch, IBTL and ryan_98 like this.
  5. Screaming Fist

I want a burnt orange and white night when Henley gets promoted. Might finally have a decent looking uniform for once.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

Pulling a South Park (not Mexican, animated-Colorado): I learned something today... I don't have skin in this game, no big money on the season-- just lifelong care / appreciation for this team-- but "social media" venting and NOT just going to, watching, reading about the games in the Chron / Post have made things unenjoyable-- and I'll be the first to own up to being complicit with it.

Checking out for a bit and gonna apply my energy to something that I know I can contribute something solid / worthwhile to... bc this season has been an inner battle of good vs evil... I want to root for everyone that has an H on their shirt/uni/hat in an official capacity-- but this feels too much like a transition, and I don't wanna experience the negative of it (especially in a mob setting- again, I'm guilty for throwing gas on the fire...) but I can't watch this team play mediocre baseball or slightly above .500 ball-- which everyone who isn't an idiot knows thats how this season's playing out. I really think they are betting on next season... maybe JV becomes the manager? (would be my vote above any other candidate other than of AJ-- or Bigg)... which is one of two candidate(s) I don't think anyone has discussed: Biggio / Berkman... I just can't see any of these other old school, tried-tested-failed-carried_them, managers of yesteryear doing this team justice.

Hoping for a respectable run at the end of the season, but I'd almost rather them save the arms, regroup, train, get off the circus bus & get back to how dialed in, professional, joyful & in sync like our teams were in 17/18/19--20... (but I GUESS THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUVE GOT A REVOLVING DOOR EVERY WEEK OR 2 W THE MINOR LEAGUE CLUBS)....
    They just gotta find the spark... and holyfckalltohell so does this fanbase/freelance researchers & journalists of this board. We set our own expectations up for failure, although we thought this season would've yielded much more positive results (comparable results)-- yeah pitching's been bad, but if you can't work/think smarter than just be dependent upon your starting pitching which we could place bets now: what pitcher's gonna be out 3-5-7 months of next year's season.... just feels dirty and it starts at the top, yep-- you, Jim-Bob.... **** casting with Bagwell being that "transition guy" & Reggie Jackson & all... hey: whereintheactual****have Bagwell & Biggio been this season, btw...? (& I could potentially blame Mack for this **** too, there's a STRONG probability there's an under the table deal there). Disappointing.

Good luck w the heartache... Tums, Rolaids & Fireball are better fans of you are than the Astros are of you.

Stephen66 likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Season is starting to take on a real snakebit Murphys Law type of vibe.

The Beard, IBTL and Wulaw Horn like this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

When you do dumb things bad things tend to follow. We’ve done lots of dumb things as an organization since tucker caught the last out in 2022.

Tomstro, jim1961, Houstunna and 4 others like this.
  9. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Fire everyone.

marks0223 and Stephen66 like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorta... but its really not as bad as everybody is currently thinking. Its bad from a standpoint of expectations based on the last 6 years, but in reality, they're literally what their run differential says they are and they're fortunate to be in a division that is still right there for the taking, and a league where winning the division will get them the #2 seed.

If Yordan isn't hurt, he will start hitting again and the rest of their 1-6 should produce enough offense. Framber is nutty... but has the stuff (and apparently not a dead arm) to actually make it through the season. JV is JV. Before yesterday's disaster, the bullpen was actually one of the most reassuring aspects of this recent stretch.

Biggest question mark... a #3 guy between Javier/France/Brown/Urquidy. And there will always be the usual bottom of the lineup bewilderment of who plays when (along with the Brantley what-if), but I'm banking on the 1-6 guys being consistent enough to make those issues not as significant.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Oh man, nothing is more true.

IBTL and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

The 2 teams in the Intl Championship of the LLWS are playing cleaner baseball today than the Astros have in a week+

No Worries likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is nothing we can do about getting hammered like we did with JP pitching. I get angry when we lose close games and we don't put ourselves in the best position to win. Trotting out BS lineups and batting orders. Playing guys like Mldy, Singleton, and Julks when there are better players on the roster.

Nook and IBTL like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

13 position players after Brantley activated.

Maldy/ Diaz
    Abreu/Singleton
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Pena
    Yordan/Brantley
    Chas/Meyers
    Tucker
    Dubon

When 14th is added September 1st= Kessinger.

Those are the 14 best MLB ready position players in the Astros organization.

No Worries likes this.
  17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Snydergaard just released. Can we fix?

IBTL likes this.
  18. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Id take a flyer as a long relief, bullpen guy.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He's pitched for the Dodgers and Guardians this year.

If they could not fix him, I don't see the Astros doing it in 5 weeks.

20. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what there is to fix unless we can get him the 6 mph back on his fastball?

IBTL and Wulaw Horn like this.