1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green vs Ant Edwards - who will be the better combo/sg when all is said and done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Aug 22, 2023.

?

combo/sg of the future

1. Jalen Green

42 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Anthony Edwards

114 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. others

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

tons of work for Jalen this coming season

3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Jalen's gotta take a big step this year to be on Ant's level. If he is more efficient and locks in on D he's right there. With a new coach and a much better lead guard, he can get there. It's up to him.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

7-10 aren't better guards than Jalen if you look at production and trajectory.

Ancient Moabite, Rocketeer and NewAge like this.
  5. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

I think the message for everyone on this thread trying to hyper-optimistically hype up green is pretty simple - he needs to prove it.

The cold hard facts are that Giddey has proven much more Green simply by virtue of the fact that he was able to be a big part of a .500 team while playing next to a ball dominant star in SGA. Green's flashes of elite scorer potential have to be tempered with the fact that the rockets have be historically awful for each of his two seasons.

Green has more upside than Giddey - but Giddey would be a very tempting choice if I were to choose between the two. Younger, much bigger and with the ability to absolutely unlock Jabari and Alpi.

This year is make or break for Green as a 'superstar' type player. He will need to prove while playing alongside high usage players in Brooks and FVV.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The Thunder are not a good team with Giddey on the court:
    https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/4869/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hardly anyone on that list is a respectable defender, yet we hear constantly Green will not be worth anything if he doesn't become a good defender.

We have gold medal level mental gymnasts on this board.

Jalen won't be a triple double machine and he won't be an assists machine and he won't be an elite defender. He's going to be 30ppg with good defensive effort and deadly in the clutch in the style of Kobe Bryant. A second year Kobe wouldn't have made this list either, so don't worry about it too much.

lionaire and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude is not amongst us, RIP, people seriously find another match that is still alive.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depending what you want out of a team.

Giddy is a much more mobile Sengün and shorter.

Personally I like players like Josh and Franz Wagner, those guys are versatile on many levels.....

They could be scorers, playmakers and super glue guys at the same time.

10. fchowd0311

Second year Kobe could make the list due to media hype. He was on the Lakers with Shaq

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really don't think so unless it was based on nothing but hype. He started in a total of 1 game that year, shot under 43% from the field, TS% under 55%, 3 rebounds and 2.5 assists.

Green is so similar, only difference being he was thrust into a starting role with way more difficult shots, worse role players and worse coach on a tanking team. "Only" difference haha.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Giddy is so overated. Lousy shooter and lousy defensive player.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

Also just horrible impact on the team.
    A player who is hyped up for being more of a "winning type player" who does more "winning stuff" for his team being this atrocious with on/off court numbers:https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/player/4869/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

Is what I call "being victim of NBA social media narrative"

If Giddey was black with dreadlocks with those horrible impact numbers, you think people would say he contributes to winning more than Green?

14. Ancient Moabite

No doubt he needs to prove it as in being more consistent for a season in accord with the many flashes he has already showcased, and more so on defense end inclusive with getting more W's in the process

And mostly all players like Giddey who assist hunt looking for others to score is right up a players alley like SGA/volume scorer(shooters), elite scorers and lesser role level spoon fed players love playing with a Rondo/Nash/Magic etc who are looking to get dimes

I would take the 3 level scorer in Green over Giddey, but others like Magic/Oscar is a entire diff convo, which to me Giddey is not on that level, but to each their own

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Giddey's upside is somewhat limited by his physical tools in my view. A 6'8" playmaker sounds great, but he's not all that athletic, not very strong, and kinda has T-Rex arms. Throw in shooting that projects as average at best, and the picture that develops is a unique and interesting player, but not necessarily a franchise cornerstone so much as a good glue guy.

I don't read too much into on/off numbers because they're very prone to "correlation is not causation" problems. I do think Giddey has probably had a better impact on winning thus far in his career than Green. But I think Green will probably have a better career, and that's because his upside is much greater.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Go on, I think he is limited but he is the good sort of limited.

#96 daywalker02, Aug 25, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  17. fchowd0311

Is Giddey being a positive impact and helping winning now based on hopes and dreams or do you have data to suggest this?

18. fchowd0311

I think if you are going to make the case one player is a more positive impact you need to show it somehow.

Someone averaging more assists and rebounds doesn't magically make them more impactful.

Can you show me Giddey's impact with SGA and without?

19. fchowd0311

Which one of his stans thinks he can be Jordan? Dawg we talking about potentially at best a more athletic version of Booker.

Stop beating up strawman to make your arguments sound somewhat rational.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If someone offered Giddey for Green, I would think about it. I hope Jalen makes a big jump next year.