1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba + stuff to Atlanta for Alpha Kaba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Jul 1, 2023.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

How wealthy? How much was this emerald mine worth? Was it the most valuable emerald mine known to man? Why aren’t there other people worth $200b? There weren’t any other emerald mine babies?

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah. Reeko said Stone is a mediocre drafter and Morey was an amazing drafter cuz he got some role players in the 2nd round.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tyty isn't a small guard. He is 6'2 with 6'9 wingspan. He's the average size for pg and above average if you account for his wingspan.

MrButtocks likes this.
  4. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Purely from the draft alone, the ones that come to mind are:

Donte Green - traded for Artest (i.e. a home run)
    Aaron Brooks (late 1st round pick)
    Carl Landry (near all star level production in 09')
    Chase Budinger
    Capela (pick 25)
    Hartenstein
    De'Anthony Melton

Oh and Sergio Lull, but I don't think people will want to count that one.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just eye test wise - He's not big or strong enough to guard nominal forwards or bigger, also didn't seem very quick or fast, that makes him a small guard for all intents & purposes

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? PGs aren't supposed to guard forwards and bigger that's why oversized guards like Cade, Giddey or Amen are highly valued.

Small PGs in my mind are guys like Isiah Thomas and Aaron Brooks. Tyty has average size and can end up being a good defender at his position kinda like FVV.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's not how it works. I was "lucky" in other ways. Everyone is lucky in a way that can lead to millions. They just don't know it or don't believe in themselves, so they work for the people who do.

I'm talking about the main point you were disputing that the initial poster made.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Then how come he's richer than everyone on earth?

This is not a Donald Trump situation where he's barely beaten a basic savings rate after a loan from his father. This guy has $232B dollars.

I don't like Elon Musk btw, but it's absurd to say he's lucky.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Totally agree with you. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity, and opportunity is appearing in everyone's life at some time or another even in the most dismal circumstances. You can put yourself in the river of opportunity too, if you understand where it is relative to you.

TheJet likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Where did I ever say he was lucky? I'm flat out saying he's wealthy because of privilege and coming from a wealthy family (like the vast majority of actually wealthy people) not because of some bizarre notion you have of entrepreneurialism.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

We're discussing whether it was lucky and you jumped in. If that's not what you're talking about, I'm not sure what you'd doing in the discussion.

Elon Musk isn't the richest man in the world because his father is rich that's an absurd statement. That would maybe be true if he had a billion dollars. He is the richest man in modern history, he can buy several mines. Lots of people inherit wealth, almost none of them multiply it hundreds of times.

He's rich because he successfully brought paypal and an electric car to market. He earned most of his money. You're out counting other people's money because you think a lack of luck is why you can't multiply your wealth. Sorry but that narrative is only true in your mind.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe back in the 1990s and 2000s this was true, and you could get by saying"all PGs are small"

it didn't matter as much but the switch heavy schemes and ability of teams to isolate against weak links (even in the regular season) has made this far less tenable IMO - also i don't think the PG/SG distinction is very meaningful anymore. If one of those 2 guys can't shoot or defend (including larger players) then he's not a PG, he's a problem

I just don't think you get much by looking at the chart and pointing out he's near the arithmetic mean of his kind of arbitrary position group - who cares? Can he guard up? No? Then that's a weakness.

Btw it's not all about size and reach. Donovan Mitchell for example is bigger and obviously way more athletic than Washington but he is still a weak link, but yet his teams have good defenses.

But, whatever, obviously Washington doesn't bring what Mitchell does on the other side, so that's why he's without a team for now.

Also, lol @ the fact that this thread is now @Mathloom arguing about Elon Musk.

I know if i were a relentless Garuba hypemaster who would breathlessly post a tweet of him grabbing a board against Unicaja Baskonia Junior B U22 team in the Gran Torneo de Nescafé and then run around saying he's on track to be as good or better than Draymond - it's where I'd want to take things as well

roslolian and Corrosion like this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, that's a narrative your mind conjured up, don't profess to know what I'm thinking, you really have no idea.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know you. You may be making millions of dollars a year in what you do. The vast majority of people are "lucky" to do well in what they do. But what they do makes just a tiny fraction of what professional basketball players do. When people say the players are lucky, they are saying they are lucky to be "lucky" (your kind of lucky) in the one thing very few people are "lucky" in.

Again (and again) I am not disputing the work ethic thing you are talking about. It is often the difference between being great and being just good enough.

I just think your idea of luck is a very weird one that makes you overestimate the effect of hard work and underestimate the role of luck in people's success. Long ago I have found that the notion "you can be anything you want if you work hard enough" is one of the biggest lies people tell themselves and their children. For every success story of hard work, there are thousands of failure stories of people who put in all the effort they can and still can't reach their goals because they just aren't lucky enough to have the tools and/or the circumstances for them to succeed.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Musk is rich because he's an innovative, genius engineer / entrepreneur. Him and his brother started Zip2 in 95 with 28K that they borrowed from their father. They sold that to Compaq for 300 million. He used his share to start Zip2 which eventually became PayPal and sold it for 1.5 Billion. He then started SpaceX which is valued at nearly 150 Billion of which he owns half. After that he bought into Tesla when they were just beginning and now it's valued at 1 Trillion. Of which he owns a majority 13% of....

In other words, he's rich because he thinks out of the box and is smart AF. How many people can take 28K and turn it into 231 Billion?

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Good call - I think you are right about an expansion and it does appear that one is on the horizon at some point.

ipaman likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You miss the point entirely. The problem isn't about TyTy relative to PGs historically - it's that we are seeing more and more wing sized players with ball handling and creation skills meaning there is less need for a team to have a bunch of small guards to get bigger players the ball in places where they have advantages. If more and more taller players can bring the ball up themselves and create opportunities for themselves or others from the perimeter - why not utilize the taller players who have a real competitive advantage with their height?

Or more to the point as it relates to TyTy, if you have a 6'3" who needs skills development and a 6'5" guy who needs skills development and both could potentially be ball handlers and creators - why wouldn't you pick the taller player? If Tyty develops some of those skills overseas(or had stayed in college longer), maybe that's not as much of a choice because one can help now, but the point of the conversation I linked(that it sounds like you didnt watch) is that GMs are betting that a taller player with upside is ultimately a better bet of time and resource and as more taller players enter the draft with those skills - it makes the TyTys of the world less valuable because there are a lot of guys like that.

SamFisher likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Because the shorter guy could have Kobe Bryant's mindset and the taller guy could have T-Mac's mindset.

If taller was always better, the league wouldn't be getting shorter for the past 15 years. Heights peaked in the mid 80's. It's a very old mindset. Aside from skills and athleticism, mindset is a far more malleable and higher ceiling factor in what makes a player.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't think we're going to agree, but I understand and appreciate your position. I think our difference is really in the perception of luck: is it something a few get or is it something everyone gets in different ways?

Does everyone get height? No. However, I believe everyone inherited something genetically that when combined with hard work would allow them to reach a global peak in that industry or avenue. I do think you can be anything. A great example is Mugsy Bogues who at 5'3 would have been told many times that he's never going to make the NBA because no one has ever done it at that size. He didn't have insane athleticism, he just did it with work and intelligence. I believe that you don't know what your or anyone else's true ceiling is, so it's detrimental to have the mindset that what you want is not possible for you. Another important thing that's being discovered in psychology is that if you have an intense desire that will never go away, then to not take that desire to the point of failure/success will haunt you forever.

There are certainly thousands of stories of failure where the person convinces themselves they're doing everything they can to succeed. My anecdotal experience tells me hours are not everything. There's choice of field, exposure, source of energy, quality of work, all kinds of other things involved.

Anyway we're so far off topic for this thread. Thank you for the discussion.

Easy likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I just stated a set of facts about Musk to add to the single one you did. Sorry if that doesn't suit your narrative, but it's nothing I conjured up.

You're not the first person who has heard this who has been upset by it. Why don't you wait on that luck and see how it does for you.