1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade TyTy Washington and Usman Garuba + stuff to Atlanta for Alpha Kaba

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown Legend, Jul 1, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure why, but I can't get this video to work?

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Got me - but it's 1:19:05 into the Game Theory Podcast streamed from August 20th if you want to find it directly on youtube.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah no, we still see tons of tall people with Garuba's athleticism not make the NBA. By your rationale every millionaire is just lucky to have some intellectual or physical genetic gift. That's not what's happening in the world the huge majority of the time.

Everyone has a genetic gift that can earn them millions - it's not always height or athleticism. I don't buy the idea that the reason everyone else doesn't get paid millions of dollars is an absence of luck.

Totally reject the notion Garuba and Tyty should thank the lord for their money more than anyone else. It was a "counting other people's money" moment and I'm not a fan of that stuff.

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Yes, the same logic applies to every form of success. Lucks plays a role to varying degrees whether we're talking about pro athlete success or financial success. This sort of thing comes down to semantics, though, because ultimately, literally everything about where literally everyone is in life is the result of luck in some form or another. What do you think it is that makes some people harder working than others?

#604 SuperMarioBro, Aug 23, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah. Luck plays an equal role for everyone thus it's irrelevant. Luck is coming at everyone, some are prepared and catch it. Elon Musk is rich because of what he taught himself and because he's the kind of guy who used the little money he has to rent a tiny office rather than have a home and he slept over there with his brother.

You don't need any historic luck to succeed, even if a handful of anomalies succeeded only because of luck. For those people like lottery winners, what they gain from the luck will disappear quickly anyway and they'll call it bad luck.

6. DreamQuake

DreamQuake Member

The biggest indicator of future success or wealth is the income status of the parents, which I think falls into the luck category. Elon was born on third with emeralds in his pockets. He then paid to get into companies to prove how smart he is. He failed to the top. The hardest working people I know are not rich and are just trying to get by. All the rich people I know are patting themselves on the back and hoarding money.

With Garuba he obviously put in a lot of work to get to the level he is today. He is lucky to be tall but there are 1000 people over 6 foot 5 who will never get close to sniffing the nba.

SuperMarioBro, topfive, AXG and 3 others like this.
  7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So, has Alpha Kaba made it state-side yet?

When will the Kaba era begin?

8. TheJet

TheJet Member

If you're the most prepared to take advantage of a situation is it really luck? :D I've always like the essence of the Hemmingway quote, "You make your own luck". I've found that it's true more often than not.

Mathloom and Corrosion like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When someone starts the Alpha Kaba franchise player thread.

Zen Tabak and Rashmon like this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Question besides Parsons and harrel who did Morey draft in the 2nd that ended up benefitting the Rockets (either via their play or trade they got back) I am including Montrez not bc if his play but bc he was part of the cp3 trade.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Athletic in every part of his body but his stone hands.

Easy likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Lol what? Elon Musk is rich because his dad is a massively wealthy property developer with an emerald mine, it had **** all to do with what he "taught himself."

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What Vecenie and Spins say is basically why I liked players like Amen, Anthony Black, etc. at the point in this draft. I'd rather have a player with a few flaws, where if they don't work out, they could still be great in other roles or can do other things to make up for their deficiencies. You can probably find another player like TyTy in almost every draft. I still think he's a decent player, but nothing exceptional - at least he hasn't shown that yet.

One thing he mentioned that is so true is that things change quickly with these guards who don't do anything great, but a few things "ok". It's getting to the point that a 6'3" guard/ballhandler is "undersized" nowadays. They've got 6'10" players bringing the ball upcourt and PGs/ballhandlers the size of Amen, Cade, Black, Giddey, Luka, etc.

Thanks for sharing the video.

For anyone not able to get the video to work, try clicking the YouTube link in Vecenie's tweet below :

glimmertwins likes this.
  14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

LMFAO THIS. I thought I was trippin’. The moment the dude was born he was richer than 99.99% of the planet.

cbass, FLAGRANT1, DreamQuake and 2 others like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wait, where did I say or even imply "just lucky"?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay prove to me you can work hard enough to be an NBA player and I'll believe luck has no part.

cbass and YaoMac09 like this.
  17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Bad look for a league if you have 1st rounders being dumped so quickly. EXPANSION is the answer and clearly there is enough talent and money to support. I can imagine PA would want more jobs and ownership would like access to more markets. Makes sense with the expanded playoffs as well.

Either that or teams have to start dumping washed vets (carmelo, rose, etc...) quicker. it should be noted the average age of nba player has been dropping so maybe that's the trend already in combination with new draft rules for 18 year olds.

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

I wish I was prepared enough to be born I to a rich family with an Emerald mine.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yes, his father just said "here's an emerald mine, kid - go make something of yourself". lol.

clos4life likes this.
  20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why didn’t the orphans in third-world countries simply prepare better, are they stupid?

clos4life likes this.