1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vivek Ramaswamy 2024

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why does a republican have to go full MAGA to even be considered for the GOP front runner?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Being from a different faith tradition is a problem. I was in a pretty conservative evangelical church when Romney was running, and him being Mormon was a problem. Though somehow Obama coming from a mainline black church tradition was more of a problem. They could at least appreciate the strong Mormon family values that Romney embodied and they could wish their own leaders were as pious as he was. Obama, meanwhile, while theologically closer to them, was suspected of believing that other faiths (like Islam) could also lead you to salvation, or that his belief in God was not in the literal God of the Bible but an ephemeral divinity that he happened to acknowledge with Christian language. Along comes Trump, who has no conversion experience story, never attends church, is Biblically illiterate, and doesn't accept that he's a sinner in need of salvation, and he gets a pass as a 'baby Christian.' The letter next to the name has a lot to do with it. If you're motivated to ally with a politician, you give him every benefit of the doubt when it comes to judging his faith. When you're opposed, you assume the worst.

Conservatives like Ramaswamy for some reason. So, they'll say stuff like, yeah his heritage is Hindu but he went to a Catholic school and he probably doesn't believe that stuff literally. Maybe they'll start quoting CS Lewis for him: "We do know that no person can be saved except through Christ. We do not know that only those who know Him can be saved by Him." I think if Ramaswamy used a little more foresight and had a conversion experience in 2022 (where maybe God told him he should be president too), and he'd been attending an SBC church every Sunday and going to Bible study every Wednesday since, he wouldn't have this problem at all. Evangelicals would swoon every time he regurgitated a piece of Scripture (which I'm sure he could do more competently than Trump).

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Just an FYI about the catholic school thing, it is extremely common for South Indian families to send their children to Catholic schools. I think my most of my family in India has attended Catholic schools and they're all devout Hindus. My mom had to attend mass once a month at school and can still recite passages from the bible but she's a very observant Hindu. In a lot of communities in Southern India, Catholic run schools tend to be perceived as having higher educational standards. Consequently, South Indian immigrants are more likely to send their kids to Catholic schools in the US (regardless of how religious they are at home).

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't think it's an issue now because he hasn't incurred the wrath of trump with a dumbass nickname but the minute he goes on the attack or says something wrong the maga base will do a 180 and religion will become an issue...............you think a redneck, racist will "allow" a president to be anything other than a god-fearing Christian? Remember when the gop used to not say the quiet part out loud, well now they shout it from the mountaintop and that would not be pretty.

I know absolutely nothing about Hinduism. but what would happen if viv were to win, would he not put his hand on the bible to be sworn in? What about everything that says "in GOD we trust" or even the pledge of allegiance ..............I am sure he wouldn't do anything with it, but we would be in uncharted territory.

astros123 likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He can still make a big PR stunt out of "converting" at the right time.

Invisible Fan and ROCKSS like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went to Catholic school for awhile too. My family isn't South Indian nor religious. It just happened to be a school in the neighborhood that my parents thought might be good.

All though maybe Catholic school is why I play Irish music and get along with the Irish so well. ;)

7. Nook

Nook Member

It ties into conspiracy theories.

Unfortunately right now, for a Republican at the national level to be viable, they have to court conspiracy theorists and other people that traditionally were apolitical but now are voting and typically (but not always) Republican.... because it is part of the coalition that Trump cobbled together to win.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I was thinking about giving him a backhanded compliment, but not now.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trying to outcrazy rfk jr...

10. ROCKSS

I am so tired of conspiracy "theories", Viv and RFK would be a good team, there blending into the same person with Viv being the dynamic speaker and RFK being.....................well, RFK.

I get not trusting the government but these constant "theories" with no evidence just gets exhausting......I have to ask myself; does he really believe that or is he playing to the base who live in conspiracy theories. When he says he speaks truth, rooted in facts (which is catchy) that's just not true, theories are not facts, in fact there just the opposite but it's a good sound bite I guess.

dmoneybangbang and T_Man like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven’t followed Ramaswamy much and no little about him previously but given that he had criticized Trump before I think his current views are pandering. I think he is probably like JD Vance someone who is capable and intelligent and recognizes how silly and even dangerous MAGA is but is willing to sell out for power.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

As of now, if I had a vote, I would be undecided between the two. Vivek is smarter and more quick-witted, I think. DeSantis is more the typical establishment candidate.

Either one of them would be a huge improvement over orange man and geriatric patient.

Nook likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Apparently, vivek is a crackpot and a liar... as there are tapes.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol this guy's tweets

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't stupid - but he is a bit of a troll.

There is a small group of people in this world that will light a fire - just to watch the reaction of people when something burns.

He is an exceptional student, went to Harvard and Yale and was already a multi-millionaire by the time he graduated under-grad.

He is in his mid 30's now and is worth a billion dollars and according to people that know him - would only work an hour or two at the most each day.

He has a huge ego, and who can blame him - he has been successful at everything he has done..... but he also likes to poke at things like a child poking an insect ...... too bad, great story, great public speaker, dynamic - but I don't think he takes anything serious anymore.

It is too bad because the US could use some innovative governmental leadership - just not a troll.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Nothing about that suggests he would even be a mediocre president or that he is even innovative in a real sense.

17. ROCKSS

When he first came on the scene, I really wanted to like him (new blood) but the conspiracy theories put him in the same orbit as RFK...........I am also not a fan of the old, "insert conspiracy theory here, then when your asked about it, you answer, well, I am just asking questions" At least RFK will come up with a complete BS lie ;)

Excellent public speaker, very charismatic and successful...............so kudos on that my man

Nook likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sounds like this guy is a professional troll.

Cant blame him. This will be profitable for him long term.

ROCKSS, Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

This….

This new age of grifting favors those who can succeed in short sound bites.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I feel like this is the case of American politics for a while even before age of the internet. Politicians used to and still can just shout about how evil communism is and how America being infiltrated by them and boom you got a American politician going places. Ronald Reagan was a soundbite president. Dude had zero ability to discuss policy with nuance. He was essentially an actor.