1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets In-Season Tournament 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Load management matters to the fans who pay to see stars who are not playing.

Fans aren't paying to watch the supporting cast.

theDude likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Hard disagree for me. Players are responsible to themselves, their team and do not owe fans their health. If a fan is that concerned, they need to do what's necessary to make sure they see the specific player they want to see. If you aren't willing to watch the Rockets because Jalen Green didn't play, maybe purchasing admission to a Rockets game shouldn't be something you invest time and money in. I've bought admission to a lot of games, not a damn one of them has said Rocket vs. Lebron or Harden vs. the Hawks or something like that. You literally are paying to watch the team, 1 through 15.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s surprising to see all the negativity about the tournament, more competition is always good. The regular season needed some enhancements for the casuals.

SamFisher likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not just the players owing the fans. It's also the teams. Every team's promotional materials are using the faces of their star players. If those guys miss most of the games on purpose, it's bordering to false advertisement.

Fans should have the right to ask for refund if they did not know the star players would miss the game when they bought the ticket. League Pass, sport TV subscribers should be able to do the same. If teams lost enough money because of that, they would think twice when they gave the high injury risk players huge contracts.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that load management doesn’t work. You cannot show that it’s a successful philosophy. Players who are injury prone will get injured whether they play 82 games or 50.

Easy likes this.
  6. Victorious

Victorious Member

Regardless of who you are going to see, you are paying to see the team, the Houston Rockets. You didn't buy a ticket for the Jalen Green show. Same thing with league pass/tv subscriptions, you are paying to see the league as a whole or a specific team. I think its a bit silly to ask for a refund if a fan doesn't see his favorite star player. What if lil timmys favorite player is Boban? Can he get a refund too or no because Boban is not a "star"?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The main attraction of the "team" is the star players. Are you saying that the same amount of people would buy tickets if the team had no star player vs the team with star players?

You buy a ticket to see the movie Top Gun with Tom Cruise as the star. What if they advertise Tom Cruise in the movie but he actually only appears for 15 minutes in the show? Would people still want to see it? Wouldn't that be a kind of false advertisement?

If teams are going to load-manage their stars, they should say it upfront and let the fans know they won't get to see them play every game.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It all depends on the body languages of them players.

If they fight like in an playoff game, everything will be fine.

I expect 80% of the players to be playing and it will not be Summer League.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, I could sing a song about things I did not want to purchase but by accident did and the big companies did their best to chicken out of compensation.

Easy likes this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Um. Yeah that crybaby Karen rant didn't change my mind. Fans pay for admission to the game, to watch 2 teams play. Buying a ticket means you get to be in the building while those 2 teams play. THAT is what you are owed, as a paying customer and nothing more.

As if teams were dying to give injured players lots of money? Oy.

Interesting line of thought. Is there a study about it? Not a rhetorical question you just say it so definitively... I would think guys who take rest probably stay healthier for longer. I mean sure, anyone is liable to sprain an ankle any given game but I think the idea is more that older guys or guys who have played a lot of games recently getting a scheduled rest day keeps them right.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The more I think about this, the dumber the idea seems.

TimDuncanDonaut and Corrosion like this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There should be a sticky on top of this thread that says:

IN-SEASON TOURNAMENT DOES NOT REQUIRE ANY EXTRA GAMES*

"Other than the championship for the 2 finalists

Load management is not any more or less relevant in an 82 game season without an in season tournament than in an 82 game season with an in season tournament.

If teams dog their way out of it early their reward is:

More regular season games

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^I'm pretty convinced most of the people offering jim rome hot takes like this don't understand the in season tournament structure or have never paid money to see a late season nba game from the last few years

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The only way this would be interesting is if G league and CBA teams were in it too.

DD

Hank McDowell and Dredd like this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Gentle reminder, we are in West Group B
    Denver Nuggets
    LA Clippers
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Dallas Mavericks
    Houston Rockets​

Of all the groups it's probably among the toughest.

[​IMG]

People can say this is not a 'bad idea' and good for TV ratings, but for the inaugural tournament for this current Rockets team, will likely end up being a disappointment.

Single elimination knockout rounds sounds enticing, but would any of you bet your car/house that we'd even make it out of the group play. I hate the Mavs, but even beating them will be tough.

"A team will play each of the other four teams in its group in one Group Play game. A team’s record in these four intraconference games will determine whether the team qualifies for the Knockout Rounds. In the event two or more teams are tied within a group, the tie among the teams will be broken according to the following tiebreakers (in sequential order):

Head-to-head record in the Group Stage;
    Point differential in the Group Stage;
    Total points scored in the Group Stage;
    Regular season record from the 2022-23 NBA regular season; and
    Random drawing (in the unlikely scenario that two or more teams are still tied following the previous tiebreakers)."

To be perfectly honest, if Rockets don't make it into the KO rounds (which is likely); I kind of don't care and don't want to watch other teams get another reward. Call it petty, but seeing Rockets being a punching bag, getting knocked out is not my idea of entertainment.

If this is a pro wrestling match; our squad is being setup as the jobber. The Rockets fanbase is perfectly aware we're still in a rebuild; don't need an unnecessary reminder.

#55 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 26, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2023
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Euroleague teams.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

It's definitely going to take all players having a hot hand to get through that. Unfortunately we don't have many who can get hot and stay hot .

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Definitely needed to have luck and curses that the opponents have injuries.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, it needs to give smaller clubs a chance to upset the big dogs....that is how this would be interesting....just like the FA Cup.

DD

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Now that would be fun!