1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Blind Side: A Lie

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by boomboom, Aug 14, 2023.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It always sounded a little too wholesome to be true.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pushed him to play at Ole Miss and then lied to him and stole his money. Rich white people in the south taking advantage of a poor black kid, who would've guessed it?

boomboom likes this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If this is a surprise to you, then you probably didn’t grow up in the South.

Nook, rockbox and boomboom like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden should sue Morey for the misrepresentations.

We can call it "The Beard Side" and it will star Jonah Hill and Lakieth Stanfield.

6. SamFisher

Also huge black mark for Michael Lewis and his editors - the guy came up as a reporter.

if you're going to write a book about how the guy was adopted by this family, you should have verified that the guy was actually adopted - this stuff is pretty checkable!

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Man, no kidding. There’s public records and everything. That didn’t occur to me when I read this news yesterday

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What's funny is the social media comments on this story and how he should be so grateful for them taking advantage of the situations. I'm sure the truth falls somewhere in the middle but there was clearly some shenanigans on their part. How does he not make a penny from the movie about him? He does he not find out until his late 30's that he was never adopted and was subject to a conservatorship?

Such a strange turn of events but not really that surprising in a sense.

9. TFP

TFP Member

This irony is almost spooky. Literally an hour ago while at dinner I was talking about Michael Lewis and his books, completely separate from The Blind Side. What I said was that while his books are entertaining to read, you shouldn't read them to understand a subject well because he does just enough research to weave an interesting story. However, his stories lack depth and analysis of counterarguments.

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

boomboom and Pat like this.
  11. SamFisher

I didn't read the book, only excerpts, but, from an old review:

Leigh Anne was now making it her personal responsibility to introduce him to the most basic facts of life, the sort of thing any normal person would have learned by osmosis. ‘Every day I try to make sure he knows something he doesn’t know,’ she said. ‘If you ask him, ‘Where should I shop for a girl to impress her?’ he’ll tell you, ‘Tiffany’s.’ I’ll go through the whole golf game. He can tell you what six under is, and what’s a birdie and what’s par.’”

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not sure these qualify as the most basic facts of life. Indeed, for all her Christian charity, Leigh Anne seems to treat her adopted son more like a giant kachina doll than a human being. Oher recognizes the ulterior motives swirling around him: “He didn’t go so far as to treat Leigh Anne with suspicion but, as Leigh Anne put it, ‘With me and Sean I can see him thinking, If they found me lying in a gutter and I was going to be flipping burgers at McDonald’s, would they really have had an interest in me?’ ”

This question is never answered.

As I tore through the book, I kept wondering how Lewis got such remarkable access to the Tuohys; and I also wondered, why does he take such an uncritical view of their role? The author’s note at the end provides the obvious explanation, stating that Lewis is a friend of Sean Tuohy’s and that they had been longtime classmates at the same New Orleans school.

MadMax and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Weird story. Def multiple sides to it that haven't been released.

Sounds like the family did good by him up until they didn't....

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I hate Sandra Bullock now. That insensitive b****.

ROCKSS likes this.