1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden says 'Daryl Morey is a liar…'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Aug 14, 2023.

1. dmoneybangbang

CF’s factions put these guys on a pedestal….

However, this is clearly Harden’s f*ck up. It’s just unreasonable to believe that wink wink money was unconditional…. Harden was brought in to win playoff series not get into the playoffs.

SamFisher likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's certainly a group failure. Morey is the one who said coaches don't matter in the playoffs. Managing egos is one of the most overlooked traits of a coach. I still would account Harden for the majority of the group failure. 85% at least.

DeBeards likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden has certainly developed an attitude of preferring to get out of a difficult situation as opposed to dealing with it. Whether that's on him or Morey is the big question.

#204 topfive, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
    Caesar and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. Victorious

Victorious Member

If Harden really wanted to run it back with cp3, he could have said no to Westbrook. They would have listened. We know he runs things lol

But yes keep putting all the blame on tilman, even though Harden still wanted to come back to Houston without Morey.

They all have a hand in the downfall. Morey with his hard on for certain players and his 1st round blunders, tilman being cheap and harden getting tired in the playoffs

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Bad terms rockets. Bad terms Nets. Bad terms Philly. You give a max to a player that will get worse every single year. Going into the years where you will likely want to resign other players. It was horrible move when I told it was several months ago. This changes nothing other than reinforcing what was a fact then. Which is it was absolutely the wrong move to bring him back on a 4 year max. You could make a list of 2 or 3 good reasons and 20 to 25 bad reasons.

Yes, “you are in my mind” for being so adamant about something you were sure was going to happen and did not because the Rockets did not want to happen because they also thought it was the wrong move.

BlastOff likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Maybe one of y'all already shared this angle, but I do think he was, in part, playing to a crowd that would love to hear that message.
    Morey can't be a popular figure (at least not in any public way) in China.

I'm not saying that excuses Harden burning bridges, but I think the context made it easier to him to play to the crowd and get a little too real.

He's very ignorant if he thinks this would make any other team want him. I'm not a big Embiid fan, and definitely no longer a Philly fan,* so this is all going to be fun to watch from afar.

* = sorry, it's a hold-over from Doc. J, Andrew Toney and Moses... Also Bobby Jones and Caldwell Jones, TBH.

#208 B-Bob, Aug 14, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2023
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All debatable.
    Your only valid stance is that Harden might get worst as he gets older but even then that could b wrong bc harden game ages well.

I deem paying max contract for Harden worth bc his skillset and our needs for a pg actually warrants it before the draft since we needed a pg

I to be honest i would rather over pay for harden over fvv bc harden is the better plager. But after we got the fourth pick and drafted amen. It wouldn't really make sense to overpay for harden bc amen will need to start eventually

peleincubus likes this.
  10. i3artow i3aller

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Adidas is probably over there thinking "he's trying to get a Li-Ning contract". lol. This is all so corny. Glad for once Houston isn't in the midst of this cluster of a circus.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But does he really have to bash Morey while in China? Introducing politics into it? I don’t think that’s very cool.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you want to endear yourself to another huge market for the money - sure, why not? Maybe he's preparing for a life after the NBA - a modern-day Stephon Marbury! Now just wait for videos of him eating Vaseline, and you'll know I was right. :D

B-Bob, dmoneybangbang and Aruba77 like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden be in the lab all summer - synthesizing viruses

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

We still covering Daniel Morely? We got young ballers & shooters & coaches with bad b¡+ches over here, & our own thicc playmaking PG

16. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The Harden likes to be seen.

The Morey likes to be heard.

The Udoker has spoken.

[​IMG]

DeBeards, kpdark and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden when we hired Udoka:

[​IMG]

sirjesse likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

How ridiculous to say this wouldn't have happened if we signed him. A huge part of the people against the harden signing said it's because of his character.

This is an absurdly low character and unprofessional moment. Harden is showing exactly what was cited well before this ever happened. He's bad at maintaining relationships with his teams and it was stupid to say this guy should teach the kids how to grow up. A less talented player would be better is what we said over and over again. He's demanded out - more ugly each time - from 3 different situations. What was going to magically fix what has followed him to every situation????

If you can't admit right now signing Harden outright to a 4 year max was a bad idea, you are just incapable of admitting a bad take.

grape, red5rocket, Plowman and 3 others like this.
  19. Ancient Moabite

“Daryl Morey is a liar, and I will never be a part of an organization that he’s a part of.”

Harden, who is famously reluctant to pick up his dribble, then said: “Let me say that again: Daryl Morey is a liar, and I will never be a part of an organization that he’s a part of."

Harden’s phone should be buzzing right now with a call from the league office, which needs to ask him a simple question:

Why?

Why is Morey a liar?

This is no longer just a spat between superstar and team. It is—or should be—an investigation into salary-cap violations.

Maybe Morey promised Harden he would trade him and then didn’t. Or promised to try to trade him and didn’t try all that hard. Those would be legal lies.

But maybe, as has been widely speculated, Morey promised Harden he would offer a lucrative contract extension and then failed to offer it. If that’s the case, Morey violated Article XIII, Section 2 of the league’s collective bargaining agreement, which is titled “No Unauthorized Agreements.” It forbids “any agreements or transactions of any kind … express or implied, oral or written … concerning any future Renegotiation, Extension, or other amendment of an existing Player Contract, or entry into a new Player Contract.” It also prohibits “assurances of intent.”

This is what we know: In the summer of 2022, Harden declined to pick up his $47.4 million player option for ’22–23. He ended up making $33 million instead. He also got a player option worth $35.6 million for the ’23–24 season, but that was an undeniable pay cut. He said publicly he did it to give the Sixers financial flexibility to improve their team.

Then, this summer, Harden picked up that $35.6 million option—and simultaneously requested a trade. It has been widely reported he was upset the Sixers did not offer him the kind of larger, longer extension he wants.

If Harden is upset only because he thinks he deserves that extension, then he is entitled to feel that way. But that wouldn’t make Morey a liar.

If Harden is upset because he declined that $47.4 million option in exchange for the promise of an extension, then the Sixers have a problem. That would be a blatant violation of the salary cap. The whole point of that “No Unauthorized Agreements” clause is to keep teams from making wink-wink agreements to push financial commitments into the future.

Maybe Morey did nothing wrong. But if the NBA doesn’t investigate, what is the point of having the rule?
    NBA Needs to Investigate James Harden’s Allegations Against Daryl Morey (msn.com)

20. prs325

prs325 Member

In Morey we still trust!
    Curious to see how Daryl navigates around this mess