1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jose Altuve is on a 7-8 fWAR pace for a full season. He's incredible. By the time he's done, the "best Astro ever" conversation will one nobody even thinks about, the answer is obvious. A true legend of the game - we are lucky to witness it.

By the way, only one player has ever hit 400 home runs and 400 stolen bases in a career. Is Jose Altuve going to join Bonds? It's not out of the question.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I want Diaz to catch everyday except his day off as a catcher. Let Maldy finish his career as a player/coach and Framber's personal catcher.

I just have no hope that it will happen.

I still have hope that it happens next year.

This team next year could win 110 games if Dusty isn't the manager and Maldy retires.

Those 2 have cost this team 15 wins and will be at fault if they do not win the AL West.

Qan and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I assume if Brantley comes back, he will be spending a lot of time at DH. That would force Alvarez to LF more, and Chas to CF full time(at least I hope).

That would also force Maldy or Diaz to the bench.

We all know what the logical thing to do would be but I see Baker not doing the logical thing and have Diaz and Chas spend time on the bench. Ugh.

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I LOVE Altuve and I would love that.

But realistically I don't see him getting EITHER 400 HR or 400 SB.

He is 33 years old.

if he plays 7 more thru his age 40 season and duplicates what he has done the past 7 years WITH NO REDUCTION IS PLAYING TIME OR PRODUCTION DUE TO AGE: he ends up 51 HR and 18 SB short.

juicystream likes this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This sounds good to me. I get that in 1 and half months, this is too little time to be a big change in wins. I just know myself. I will be frustrated that the lineups Dusty throws out there will likely not be optimal (like the proposed lineups) based on my views.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

300-300 Club is more realistic, which is only 8 deep. If he ever got to 3000 hits too, that would match Arod and Willie Mays. Just seems unlikely now compared to 5 years ago when it seemed automatic.

7. Screaming Fist

The Astros would be be leading the division if they simply deployed replacement level players over Maldy and Abreu this season. Impressive amount of negative value accumulated between that dynamic duo.

Nook, ryan_98 and Joe Joe like this.
  8. Screaming Fist

Obviously really early, but Singleton's underlying numbers look really strong so far in Houston. Whiffing at almost nothing (18% CSW% so far with a 6% SwStr%), taking walks, and hammering the ball. Let us pray this isn't a SSS mirage and he has in fact had a JD Martinez-type moment.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would be really fun interesting from a morbid curiosity POV for a moment to see what Brown and Dusty would do if Singleton was great over the next month, Brantley got healthy, and Abreu was ready to come of the IL in a month.

10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I thought I saw that if a rookie gets rookie pitcher of the year or rookie player of the year the team he plays for gets a 1st round pick. Am imagining this or is this a possibility with JP

11. jayfree

jayfree Member

True, but we all know Brantley will be cautiously played and Singleton will not crush the ball (most likely be a sub .200 hitter still)

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I wonder that too.

Obviously, Hensley gers sent down buy there needs to be one other move.

The options are: Singleton, Kessinger, or Meyers.

If the point of this exercise is to figure what happens if Jon makes himself impossible to be sent down then:

I would hope they send Kessinger down and just use Dubon as the backup infielder.

I think maybe Dusty prefers having Dubon as the backup CF and with Yordan and Brantley in the mix for more LF starts, Meyers is the one sent down.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No.

That only happens if the rookie was on at least 2 of the major national top 100 prospect lists AND he was on the opening day roster.

Hunter Brown is eligible though.

prospecthugger likes this.
  14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Ty
    Crap.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Forgot about Hensley. I was thinking it would be one more after Kessinger.

16. Screaming Fist

Would bet Brantley gets the lion share of DH opportunities and Dusty would ultimately let it ride with Singleton (or a timeshare between Singleton and Abreu). Unlike catcher, there are not many avenues for creating "transcendent" value at 1B.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Brantley comes back my guess is he will be a sparingly used bench bat. Which puts Brown in a tough spot if he needs to have both Singleton and Abreu on the roster. I don’t think they will put Abreu on the bench under any circumstances during the regular season, but they may leave him off the playoff roster if he comes back and sucks and Singleton hits well.

Nook and Screaming Fist like this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The best course of action is to simply leave Abreu on the injured list till the end of the season.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that there are enough dead wood (Hensley, Kessinger) and question marks (Brantley and Abreu's health, Singleton's production) that at least 1 issue does not resolve itself and cause 5 options for 4 roster spots.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If Hensley, Kessinger, or even Dubon showed a bit more run production and consistency I would suggest Bregman sit vs LHP 25-33% of the time but as bad as he is there is no real option.