1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Expansion Draft and Protected Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Aug 10, 2023.

?

Which eight players are you protecting?

1. FVV

96 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. Jalen Green

122 vote(s)
    96.1%
  3. Dillon Brooks

27 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Jabari Smith

122 vote(s)
    96.1%
  5. Sengun

124 vote(s)
    97.6%
  6. Amen Thompson

125 vote(s)
    98.4%
  7. KPJ

75 vote(s)
    59.1%
  8. Tari Eason

124 vote(s)
    97.6%
  9. Cam Whitmore

123 vote(s)
    96.9%
  10. Other (Specify)

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Philosophia

Philosophia Member

I'd like to note than an expansion draft would likely occur prior to the NBA draft, so rookies (like Amen and Cam), wouldn't have been available this year. Makes it so much easier :D

2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Make the thread more interesting, what if we can only protect 6? :)

napalm06 likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

/thread

In expansion drafts (there have been 6 in the NHL since 1998ish; Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota, Vegas, Seattle), teams always protect their superstars first, young prospects second, and dangle the middling veterans or bad contracts. [Note: for Vegas and Seattle the NHL tightened the rules big time to empower the expansion teams.]

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Duh. Protect the franchise player Dillon Sucks

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think it's pretty easy out of the players you listed, because I don't think teams that are looking to start from scratch would want the contracts of FVV or Brooks - not unless they think they're desirable trade assets. If I were to start a team from scratch, I'm going to get all of the young talent I can acquire (would jump at a guy like KPJ) and bottom out for 3-4 years while accumulating assets. Try to use cap room to take on salary + picks to allow other teams to clear space, etc.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I wonder how they'd do it. It seems to me that the four most viable markets would be Seattle, Vancouver, Las Vegas and Mexico City. I guess I could see a city like Austin or San Diego creeping into the mix. All of those cities are in on the western side of the country. The only markets I can even think of in the East that might make some sense are like Montreal, Pittsburgh... is that it? I guess we can look at cities like Tampa, St. Louis or Cincinatti that seem to be able to support other professional franchises? Otherwise you're just putting a third team in New York. Manhattan or the Bronx or something.

#27 Williamson, Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought about Franchise expansions.....

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jontro has been a protected Panda on here.

10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Well that's easy. If it was today it'd be...

Amen
    Jalen
    Bari
    Tari
    Sengun
    Cam

groovemachine and BaselineFade like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

8 spots to protect and 6 franchise players. Doesn't matter beyond that.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Bill Simmons and Ryen Russillo did this exercise on his podcast 5 days ago and then did the draft for two new expansion teams with the remaining unprotected players.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7efMZVMBFZZ0Qo3Cc5dY0n

From what I remember they protected from our team :

Green
    Smith
    Sengun
    Thompson
    Whitmore
    FVV
    Eason
    Tate

They both expressed they wouldn’t have an interest in a certain trio for their expansion teams even knowing they are talented. KPJ, Christian Wood and DeAngelo Russell. Landale was the unprotected Houston player that was drafted to one of the two expansion teams in their exercise.

mikenm268 likes this.
  13. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

In a tip of the cap to their quality content, they also expressly decided rookies would be automatically protected and not count as part of the 8 players to be protected, only to immediately forget to remove rookies for about half the teams…while constantly calling out that rookies needed to be excluded for the other half of teams.

Bill has good banter, with Ryen especially, but he has become such a clown, he is almost unlistenable.

jordnnnn likes this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I knew there was something about that podcast that I was forgetting. I was listening to it while doing other stuff around the house.
    I still listen to every podcast of his that has anything to do with the NBA, but you are right. He went downhill a while back.

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you’re a Sengun hater but do you honestly believe he is a less valuable asset than Landale or Uncle Jeff?

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This was a very easy poll for me. FVV because he’s the best player and leader we’ve had on this team since Harden and without him we’d be much worse off with all of our youth. And KPJ because of the contract, which is effectively a long term expiring, and he still has high upside. NOT Dillon Brooks because I don’t care how folks try to rationalize it…that is terrible contract and I won’t hang Stone for it because I’m sure Ime demanded we pay whatever…but Brooks won’t be worth that contract and 4 years guaranteed at that price is unthinkable. The other 6 are obvious.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nah, just messing with you SOF's

So many of these threads are meant to hear members on CF's
    leave off KPj. For some reason they can't see it enough.

I do the opposite and kick their hero to the curb instead.

18. Buck Turgidson

VSpan
    Boki
    D-Mo
    Langhi
    Jamerson
    Novak
    VSpan
    Langhi (their game's so nice, you protect 'em twice)

DD

studogg and BMoney like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say leaving off KPJ is trollish also and not reasonable. KPJ is obviously one of the 8 most valuable pieces on this roster easily like obviously you let go of guys like Landale and Jeff Green. Not guys like KPJ. Any of the guys under 23 being left out is a troll job.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Would be less than surprised to see the Spurs move to Austin.

I think the easy fix for the eventual Las Vegas/Seattle expansion is to move some teams like us, Dallas, OKC to the east.

That or get rid of East/West conferences and embrace all the cardinal directions?

North
    Timberwolves, Bucks, Raptors, Pistons, Bulls, Pacers, Cavaliers, Nuggets
    East
    Heat, Magic, Knicks, Nets, Celtics, Wizards, 76ers, Hornets
    South
    Rockets, Mavericks, Spurs, Thunder, Suns, Pelicans, Grizzlies, Hawks
    West
    Supersonics (Seattle), Trailblazers, Warriors, Kings, Lakers, Clippers, Las Vegas, Jazz

If you played 4 in conference and 2 out that's 76 games. A midseason tournament bracket with all 32 teams takes 6 rounds, there's your 82. Go ahead and add the 4 point circles from the wing and the 5 point half court shot.

Williamson likes this.