1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serious question about why Jordan is so revered

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2clips, Aug 10, 2023.

1. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

In his prime he dominated - perhaps to an unprecedented extent (arguable). Where I take issue is simple: He didn't beat the Bird/Celtics in their prime and didn't beat the Isiah/Bad Boys until attempt #3 (at which time everyone but Joe D was in their 30's but I digress)

Owing to never beating these 2 dominant 80's teams he never even earned the right to face the Lakers in their prime.

Why are basically 0 F's given about this reality? Is it a function of a broader belief that his teams were overwhelmed by the talent on the Celtics/Pistons so it's the whole "team game" argument? And, if that's the case, why is his ascension to legend/goat-tier characterized as different than LeBron's? Or is it simply that we forget the earlier part of his career b/c of the decade of dominance that ensued after the legends of the 80's retired/declined?

BallSoHarden and don grahamleone like this.
  2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Care to elaborate on Lebron's success before he jumped ship to partner with 2 other superstars in their prime?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is more of a nod to his superior killer instinct, competitive nature, skills and flying skills.

4. MystikArkitect

He also was basically the next singular megastar beyond what Pele did for football. Made Nike a megabrand single handedly. Two separate dynasties in two different eras. He dominated both sides of the ball. He also wasn't a total b**** running to his friends for titles.

Lebron isn't even close to MJ. There isn't a Mount Rushmore in Basketball. There is Jordan and then the next group that features Russell, Lebron, Wilt, Kareem, Bird and Magic.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes, but I think I was at a kid's stage, you just remember His Airness, maybe his daunting journey into baseball, the comebacks.....

Personally not being from Chicago, reports about his dad being murdered and such.

The Nike brand stuff, you definitely learn later on.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Messi better than Pele? Who knows. They never played against each other in the same conditions.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You are forgetting someone.

ElPigto, jayhow92, Jonwin925 and 18 others like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Hakeem "Michael's Nightmare" Olajuwon!

Michael was only 10-13 versus Hakeem.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He beat legends in all 6 of his championships. 90s Western Conference was a Gauntlet. He handled everyone except the Rockets

tinman, justinh and slothy420 like this.
  10. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Year 3 LBJ took a few 99'ers, Rich Lord, Charlie Paulillo, and Russ Small to the E. Conf Finals. Maybe some LoF's were on the bench?

And then at 22, in year 4, LBJ won the East. Candidly, he won it by himself but technically he did have a roster filled with the aforementioned red-headed half-step-sisters of the poor. They lost to a top 7 all-time NBA dynasty.

So LBJ did it earlier, better, and further than MJ. The end of their careers isn't even a discussion. LBJ is getting MVP votes at 38 and Jordan shot 40% for the Wizards.

I think discussing the decade in the middle is your best bet with MJ and with that I refer you back to my OP: Jordan couldn't displace or supplant the kings of the East until year 7 and I already addressed why I devalue it relative to consensus.

I didn't intend to make this an LBJ vs MJ but you asked. I'm moreso asking about Jordan's reverence in general.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

he makes dope shoes that are affordable

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Vaudrick Owens

13. Vaudrick Owens

• Sounds like a Queen James fan

14. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

this is Pence-level cringe, lol

apologies for the derail

majicdonjuan and lnchan like this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

It's got to be the shoes.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

he also invented the mcbacon deluxe

that alone made him top 2, up there with dream

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

All I know is I've seen both play and I would take Jordan over LeBron if my life was on the line.

#17 clos4life, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    mikol13 likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

God. Enough with the Sengun.

Jonwin925, chenjy9, IBTL and 5 others like this.
  19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Jordan is revered because he was ALMOST as good as Olajuwon even though he was more than 6" shorter.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

People really value being undefeated in the finals. If Jordan was 6-2 instead of 6-0, he would be thought of less then he currently is. Despite the fact that logically it's absurd that losing in round 2 is better then losing in round 4, that's the world we live in. Montana is the same, being 4-0 is viewed much more highly then if he went 4-2 in superbowls