1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking ahead 3 yrs,how are we going to keep all these players?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rolliepollie, Aug 7, 2023.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya there simply isn't enough usage you can distribute to 6 young players for all of them to reach their max potential or be star players. Out of that 6, I'm hoping two becomes super role players(high level 3 and D guys) and two becomes legit stars. That's a successful rebuild.

We can afford that.

red5rocket, Dobbizzle and Mathloom like this.
  2. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on the amount of lab work each has done.

3. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Mandatory:
    -Sengun
    -Eason

Should be extended:
    -JGreen
    -Jabari

To be decided:
    -Amen
    -Cam

To be discharged:
    -FVV
    -Brooks

-To be re-signed:
    -TyTy

Unknown:
    -KPJ

Sidekicks:
    -Uncle
    -Londale
    -Days
    -Hudgins

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

we can keep them if we are good, like championship-level team.
    Right now, thankfully nobody is up for extension.
    Next offseason will be tricky, with Sengun and Green both eligible.
    We’ll have to see how things go.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The truth is you can't keep all your players for an extended period of time unless they all suck and you can keep them on the cheap. Even then, someone will have some level of intrigue where an outside team will overpay. (ehhecck.... Dillon Brooks... cough....)

Unless a player or two make it obvious that they are worthy of investing in as franchise cornerstones, the Rockets will have to take an educated guess on who they want to bank on with large or even potential max extensions. It would be great if a player or two break out as stars this year and next. However the reality is the Rockets will likely have to make that educated guess.

Everyone else will be kept IF their contract extension or re-signing can be had at the right amount... which will lead to players leaving in free agency, or if they suck.. they get cut and get cycled in with veteran signings, trades, or new drafted talents.

Out of 15 players identified as favorable prospects in 2023/24 I would guess only 5 are left by the 2027/28 season.... if even that.

So if you are a true Houston Rockets fans stop getting your panties in a wad in "X-only fans" heated debates. Don't get so emotionally invested in guys who probably won't be here. I'll admit I have some players here I'm really excited about, but the truth is it's unlikely any of them are Rockets cornerstones although I really REALLY hope at least a couple of them are. I'm hoping this year is a ton of fun, and makes up for the monstrosity that has been the past 3 years.

Pistol Pete, Y2JT and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We won't keep them all. They won't even all pan out. Statistically, some won't even stick in the league.

apollo33 likes this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

You cant win a championship on a budget. Even in the bizarre scenario they all pan out, it wont be here with cheapbitch

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are going in with the expectation that we will not be going over the Luxury Tax, we aren’t going to be able to keep them all. In which case, your question should be “who do we keep?” Impossible to know at this point.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If it's that big of a problem/challenge to keep everyone that means we'll be in a really good situation. That means at least some, or many guys have established themselves and we know their value. We can make decisions accordingly. Right now everything is based on "potential" monopoly currency.

Mathloom and Corrosion like this.
  10. Philosophia

Philosophia Member

We won't be able to keep all those players. The core will have to trim down to its real nucleus. I do think it's plausible to keep up to 4 of our core players with ideal contracts. I would suspect those 4 players to be Jalen, Jabari, Amen, Tari.

By 2026, Amen will still be on his rookie contract, Jalen and Jabari may have the 25% max each, and Tari could be making top tier 3&D-wing money (~25mil)

Cam could still be there on his rookie contract as well.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

When we signed James Harden to when the Rockets made the WCF, we had exactly 3 players remain on staff after 3 years.

Looking at Golden State, they have their core 3 ...after that, every player has flipped.

Safe to say, this team won't keep a core of 7-9 players together for 3 years. lol

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

FVV is only on a 2 year deal, he's not relevant to this discussion as he won't have any impact on keeping any of the young guys. Brooks is probably the worst contract in the league? A fringe minimum guy making 20 is brutal, and he will be untradeable without attaching meaningful assets. If i was houston i'd try to buy him out today lol

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

There were some other major factors to that one (owner change) but yes, definitely. In recent times NBA teams seem to turn over 60% of their rosters each offseason.

14. Ancient Moabite

If 4 turn out to be max worthy then Tilman can take a page from new Suns owner and belly up

If they all reach their potential and/or show consistent flash(more so new picks) in whatever PT they may receive then at least you would be able to move some and actually getting something good back in possible trade return for once in Stones GM lifetime

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If we’re worried about how we can keep all of them, it implies ALL of them have panned out. Isn’t that a good problem to have?

Y2JT, Mathloom and xaos like this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

FVv will basically be a late deal next year as most teams will
    take his (what many consider as an expiring contract since final year
    is a team option) second year.

Most, if not all teams will want Houston to pay most of his
    second year salary of $42.8M..... assured to be deadline deal.

Which eats into development minutes as Houston
    continues to build trade value.

What you are not considering is that Jalen Green and Sengun
    are eligible for extensions after this season and that stupid
    contract takes away flexibility to make some moves.

Without the extensions Green and Sengun will be going into restricted
    free agency.....and teams will offer the boat load(s)

You can find examples from this years free agency and why the
    teams wished they had signed their player to an extension the summer
    prior.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No, FVV will be expired before any extension for green or sengun will kick in. Even if green/sengun get extended next offseason the extension doesn't kick in for another year, where FVV will be on the books for $0. There would be no reason to trade FVV next deadline unless he's going to bring back good value (very possible), but there is 0 risk to having FVV. This isn't a brooks situation where he's dead money on the books once the extensions can start kicking in.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Incorrect

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The earliest Jalen/sengun can have a new contract is the 25-26 season, that's not my opinion, that's a fact. FVV is under contract for 23-24 and 24-25, after which he's on the books for $0.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It should have been Brook Lopez instead of Brooks.

astrosrule likes this.