1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RIP] Mark Margolis, ‘Breaking Bad’ and ‘Better Call Saul’ Star, Dies at 83

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Aug 4, 2023.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Mark Margolis, who portrayed the menacing, bell-ringing Hector Salamanca in “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul,” died Thursday at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. He was 83.

His son, Morgan Margolis, announced the news.

As the former drug kingpin who continues to hover over the Albuquerque meth trade from his nursing home, Margolis left an unforgettable mark on the Vince Gilligan television universe with barely any dialogue. In 2012, he was nominated for an Emmy for his performance in “Breaking Bad.”

He returned as Hector “Tío” Salamanca for five seasons in the Bob Odenkirk-led prequel series “Better Call Saul,” where he infused a rich backstory into the character.

Full Frontal Nudity, Oral Sex and More: Why ‘Passages,’ ‘Blonde’ and 19 More Films Earned the NC-17 Rating
    Born in 1939 in Philadelphia, Margolis moved to New York at a young age to pursue acting. With an early interest in theater, he landed roles in productions such as “Infidel Caesar” on Broadway. He would go on to appear in more than 50 Off-Broadway plays, including “Uncle Sam” and “The Golem.”

His breakout film role was in Brian De Palma’s mob classic “Scarface,” in which Margolis played the villain and bodyguard Alberto, aka The Shadow. A longtime collaborator of Darren Aronofsky, Margolis also appeared in “Noah,” “Black Swan,” “The Wrestler” and “Pi.” He boasts over 70 film credits across five decades.

Outside of “Breaking Bad” and “Better Call Saul,” Margolis had recurring roles in television series including “The Equalizer,” “Oz,” “Kings” and “American Horror Story: Asylum,” and guest starred on “Californication,” “Gotham,” “Crossing Jordan” and “The Affair.”

Margolis’ manager Robert Kolker said in a statement, “He was one of a kind. We won’t see his likes again. He was a treasured client and a lifelong friend. I was lucky to know him.”

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/mark-margolis-dead-breaking-bad-better-call-saul-1235688012/

K mf G and FrontRunner like this.
  2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

RIP Hector Salamanca. A truly great actor, loved in him every show / movie I saw him in

[​IMG]

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

He was a bad ass on BB, he was a great actor, I literally hated him in that show................RIP man

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

He is also in this crazy movie

K mf G likes this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

Trenta metres, no mas, okay??

K mf G and cheke64 like this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I just know him from scarface

K mf G and Andre0087 like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

RIP

Seems like he’s been old as **** forever. Probably one of those guys who looked 40 when he graduated HS

K mf G and TMac'n like this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

...and Oz. RIP.

9. dmoneybangbang

10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Also good on Your Honor. Rip

B-Bob and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When he first gets into Mike, this is one of my favorite scenes, for both actors. I know it's simple, but there's so much going on. And this is one of the few times Hector tried to be "really nice," even while not of course being nice at all. (It sets up the nice scene above, basically.) Notice how Hector pulls up his pants before coming to the table. I loved everything about his acting.

K mf G likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Look at him now

K mf G likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member