1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Buck Turgidson

Right? The last FPS I played was i guess Unreal Tournament in the early '00s.

I just want a fun time waste for an hour or so here and there that I can go back to whenever.

Sports games (baseball?) are great too, if you know of any.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My game library is basically 50% fps and 50% adventure/rpg.

If I had a console I'd probably play more sports games. Or actually more sports management Sims. The number of hours I put into NCAA football dynasties in the 2000s is embarrassing.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Again, dumb question, are there any "adventure/rpg" games that I don't have to play multi-player?

...and yeah, the sports management + ability to play a game here and there would be great. I think I'm probably repeating myself now.

Thanks for all the ideas.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There's lots.

Elder scrolls/Skyrim
    Diablo 2 resurrected
    Darkest Dungeon
    Fallout
    The Witcher
    Path of exile
    Undertale
    Mass effect
    Hell even South Park released some rpgs recently.

Most of what you're going to find on pc will be "action" rpg, meaning not turn based, but some will depend way less on reaction time and more on strategy than others. Also most multi-player rpgs allow you to play the game effectively solo if you want.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They actually did start making new DOOM games

Buck Turgidson and Salvy like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Thanks, bro

7. Buck Turgidson

Single player, like the old one?

Run around and wreck ****?

DonnyMost likes this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I was on the fence for D4, too. I heard many of the things you did, but I thought I'd still consider it if there was a sale or I was completely uninterested in anything else. But with the new patch and season starting, I heard the game actually regressed a lot. Many of the players have been unhappy with the new changes, so I'm no longer considering D4.

Cyberpunk has been pretty fun for me so far.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Welp. That video is depressing and pretty much what I've been reading elsewhere. They're about to release another patch for play balance, I guess. I think I'll wait a while before dipping my toes into this one. That's sad since this is one of those series that's probably on my top 5 - 10 of all time, and I was kind of waiting for it. Glad I waited. Makes me worried about stuff like Baldur's Gate 3 which is about to go live in a few days, but at the same time, now I'm glad I don't have to decide whether I want to play Diablo IV or that first. Seems like BG 3 has been in "early release" (aka, you pay to do some testing for us) for damn-near a decade.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not saying Cyberpunk is bad or anything, but it's just not my type of game. I'm more of the RPG with fighters, mages, etc. kinda guy. lol. Of course I never thought I'd like Witcher 3 as much as I did because I'm not really into vampires and horror stuff, either, so ...

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That cyberpunk comment wasn't directed at you. More of a continuation of my previous replies when I was trying to discover a new fame for me. Tried Elden Ring first and just didn't like it.

I was hoping D4 would be good as those top-down action RPGs have always been a staple to me. Unfortunately, not looking good at the moment.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

Having a hard time playing anything after beating Zelda.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This game is bananas.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Other people have given great suggestions. I'll share some random ones here, but note I haven't played any of these (or haven't played very much), so just going off good things I've heard or seen.

For baseball, the best baseball video game is probably MLB The Show...and it is not available on PC. Sorry. The best PC baseball game is probably Out of the Park Baseball:

It is more of a strategy/sim game than a traditional baseball game, so if you don't like that, you're probably out of luck. There's probably some obscure, non-MLB baseball game out there, but that's about it.

For Strategy games, there's this:

Basically a spiritual successor to Heroes of Might and Magic.

Age of Empires IV:

Some random strategy games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1105670/The_Last_Spell/

I actually don't play a lot of these games (especially true RTS games), so maybe you can find some yourself:
    https://store.steampowered.com/category/strategy_real_time/

You can play around with the category section in Steam to get some very specific searches, or just find a game you do like (like Doom), and use the "More Like This" section. There are plenty of FPS games that are single player and play like Doom if that's your thing...but it isn't my thing, so you'd probably need to use that category search again.

Some random categories that maybe you'll like:
    https://store.steampowered.com/category/strategy_turn_based/
    https://store.steampowered.com/category/action_fps/?facets13268=1:18

If you want to start getting into adventure/RPG games, then yeah there are a ton there too. Those will be more the style of games I like. FWIW, I've probably bought 20+ games in the last couple of years from Steam, and I never play multiplayer, so that should give you an idea of how many games there are out there that you can play single player.

It also should give you an idea of how much money I throw away on Steam games. :/

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll probably try Elden Ring next, either during or after my No Man's Sky run... unless I see some great reviews for Baldur's Gate 3. I hope they don't screw up that game. I'd seriously cry.

clos4life likes this.
  16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

IMO Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the GOAT turn-based game fitting that description.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Also the two pathfinder games are excellent.

clos4life likes this.
  18. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

been balls deep in diablo 4 since it came out, only thing im realllly looking forward to is Dark and Darker whenever they can conquer their legal battles.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Baldur's Gate 3 is releasing tomorrow. The 45 year long "Early Release" has been getting good reviews, so I'm hoping the full game gets good reviews. It's going to be either this or Elden Ring (since I already bought it) for my next game now that I've decided to wait on Diablo IV due to the meh reviews. I'll give Blizzard a chance to fix the issues, anyway (assuming they do).

In the meantime, I'm continuing to play No Man's Sky. Seems to be a lot more stuff you can do since the original release which seemed like a meaningless grindfest that you can game to finish quickly. In some ways now it's more of a grind, but with more purpose/meaning... I guess. lol

20. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

ya D4 will probally be properly cooked in 6-12 months tbh