1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 30, 2023.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Mike Breen should quit, ESPN will fall apart.

ClutchCity3, Patience, TMac'n and 2 others like this.
  3. Rockets Puerto Rico Sauce

Yet somehow infamous men hater Malika Andrews still has a job working on shows primarily directed to men. Please, someone make it make sense.

4. i3artow i3aller

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Yikes, stop retaining old men who's welcome has run out and who cannot talk anymore.

6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

You said it yourself, a repeating humilation to those still dumb enough to pay for ESPN.

7. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Leave talk about the current President in the D&D,,,

Downtown Sniper and J.R. like this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's like ESPN had a meeting and the objective was 'how can we ensure we're the worst possible product next season?'

Tuckmose, BamBam, slothy420 and 3 others like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Non-guaranteed Contracts...

[​IMG]

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

At least they were smart enough to fire Jemele Hill, who might be the dumbest, race-hustling woman on this this planet.

Invisible Fan, DreamR and J.R. like this.
  11. vince

vince Member

I haven’t watched ESPN programming for years. Even when I stay at hotels, I never tune into ESPN.

i am a huge fan of Van Grumpy, but I will enjoy his clips on YouTube if I run a cross them. I enjoyed his commentary on ABC, and I am aware of Disney owning ESPN and ABC.

My feeling is that I’m not going to pay extra to be spit on by extortion oriented ESPN, and their overpriced product.

Loudmouths like Steven Smith, Skip Tasteless, etc that shriek and try to make sports more relative, make me cringe when I hear them.

Hopefully Jeff Van Gundy can get a gig he likes, that man is solid for sports.

12. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Idiotic statement.

taylor2 likes this.
  13. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Skip has not been on ESPN for about a decade. He is on Fox.

ESPN's problem is that they overpaid for college sports so now they are trying to recoup the money by firing on air talent.

No one outside of the old Confederacy gives a rats butt about SEC football, or for that matter any college sports (maybe the BIG region, but those states have few people in them).

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just college sports. They're about to bid on the new NBA tv deal which will be worth billions and they're invested in the NFL, too. As long as we keep watching these games the networks are going to have to pay more and more for the rights to air them.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  15. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Skip has not been on ESPN for about a decade. He is on Fox.

ESPN's problem is that they overpaid for college sports so now they are trying to recoup the money by firing on air talent.

No one outside of the old Confederacy gives a rats butt about SEC football, or for that matter any college sports (maybe the BIG region, but those states have few people in them).
    If you compare the NBA deal to the amounts ESPN has spent on college sports, it is astounding. ESPN paid $1.4B for 10 years for the last NBA deal. So that is 140M/year. You know how much ESPN spends on college sports? About $8B/year. It is insane and not justifiable based on ratings. People think that companies, including media companies, sign deals based on current numbers. No, they sign deals based on projections. So, ESPN assumes that it can expect X amount of revenue from showing SEC, ACC, MAC, AAC, and Big 12 football, so they offer the leagues an amount below that, and keep the margin. However, the numbers are not holding up. Ad revenue is shrinking, streaming is stagnant, and cable carriers are balking at paying higher carriage fees to ESPN. That is why Bob Iger is looking to spinoff/sell ESPN; it is going to be a deadweight around Disney's neck.

mtbrays likes this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All good points. It'll be interesting to see what they end up paying for the new NBA rights which, per SI/CNBC, might be between $2.6-8B per year.

17. i3artow i3aller

18. MystikArkitect

We're a step away from having YouTube Influencers hosting the Finals.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jontro likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

why hasn’t bspn hired gilbert’s arena?