1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Honestly I would rather see tweets like that, that make it seem like the Astros may not be able to get it done. Anytime you see tweets about the trade is on the 2 yard line it seems like they don't happen.

2. jayfree

jayfree Member

I'm definitely okay with Arrighetti being gone

3. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Dana is either going to be toast of the town, or gth out of town. It is almost a given that we will overpay for someone, or no one. The trades should of started when A.Chapman was gifted to the Rangers. Almost every team knows we need a SP, no way D.Gilbert is not part of a trade for veteran SP. I'm hoping our GM hits a home run because there are potentials for the trade heard around the MLB.

Follow Ben Verlander, he probaly will be the 1st to spill the bean.

IBTL, astros123 and raining threes like this.
  4. raining threes

For the record, I would do this deal.

Then look to pickup a Barlow type pitcher for 2nd tier prospects. What does K.C. need?

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  5. AkeemTheDreem86

It's worth it. Win now. As has been stated, we have the younger prospects who will be ready to take over a few years down the line, so it won't hurt to give up some of the closer-to-ready prospects who are languishing while our team is stacked and the window is wide open.

Win now. Win now. Win now.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Verlander is about Verlander. Unless something changes, he leads by example but isn’t going to spend a lot of time working with others.

He is a professional, sets an example with his hard work and consistency on and off the field. That’s why so many players and the manager went to bat for him and protected him in the playoffs last year.

However he is like Nolan Ryan - he doesn’t hold class.
    A couple of things - first, the Mets ask isn’t “expected to be high”, the Astros already know what and who the Mets want from them. There is no mystery. Which tells me he doesn’t know what the Mets are asking for from the Astros.

Second, the Dodgers do have better prospects at the higher levels to complete the trade, but they do have budgetary issues. It’s possible they ownership group makes an exception but not guaranteed and not much different than Astros interest group.

Third, the Mets don’t care much about the money - it’s the players they get back.

Fourth, I agree the Dodgers are the favorites but the Astros can make it work if they want to - if it happens for the Astros, I think the Mets get the prospects they want from Houston but pay down the contract more than usual.

I don’t believe Drew Gilbert is untouchable with Chas taking the CF job, and Yordan in LF and Tucker in RF for 2.5 years. The Astros have time for Melton, Baez, Barber and Brice to develop.

Now - will the Mets get Hunter Brown like they initially wanted? No, I don’t think so but they have other choices.

CinematicFusion, SWTsig, IBTL and 3 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros would give up Gilbert and Arrighetti for a half price Verlander- they want Brown/Gilbert.

8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Would rather try and go for gold.
    Grandal, Robert, TA and Cease.
    We will take them all. Pena, Gilbert is the Starter let's us know what else

9. jayfree

jayfree Member

If Hunter Brown is asked to be included.... no deal

Throw them Stanek instead and say we overused him

Unless they want Dana Brown.... then
    [​IMG]

RKREBORN, RustyHarden and Nook like this.
  10. raining threes

What do you think Brown would have to add to a deal centered around Gilbert/Arrighetti?

Maybe something like Gilbert/Loperfido/Arrighetti/Gusto for JV? Do they need piching worse? Infield? OF?

11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Id give up one of Gilbert/Arrighetti but not both. Include a top 10 prospect on top of it just not the top two.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Well, they have less than a day to figure it.

PiPdAdY33 and jayfree like this.
  13. jayfree

jayfree Member

We got Jon Singleton killing it in AAA. He's ready

14. Nook

Nook Member

It would mean trading players off the big league team or more likely a three team trade.

The Mets don’t want any of those guys to highlight a trade.

It’s why someone like Chas may be dealt or Brown or a trade with a third team.

At some point the Mets will try to talk Verlander into going to LA - if they offer enough.

raining threes likes this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not keen on tweets from Ari tbh. He is basically rewriting everything that everyone knows.

It's going to come down to two things. Number one is JV willing to go to the Dodgers. If so, Mets will use their leverage to try and get more prospects. Number two is if Crane is willing to play ball. The one thing that has me leaning more to the Astros is the fact Crane is managing this. Bob Nightingale has been all over this and he actually has inside information with the Astros organization.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe Verlander doesn’t okay a deal to LA and the Mets take what they can get, but from what I have heard, Gilbert and Arrighetti combined isn’t enough…

17. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which is why the Mets are trying to leverage the Dodgers. Going to be hard to do that if JV won't play ball.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  18. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

If you are JV, you don't *want* to force a situation where your destination is shedding important MLB assets to get you, because you're hurting your chance to get the thing you want. That's probably the pitch to JV to go to LA - Houston can't get this done without undermining your entire incentive to go there.

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Based on history I think he waives his no trade for the Dodgers. I say this because in 2017 he didn’t want to go to the Astros - his choice was the Cubs. At the last minute the Tigers informed the Cubs were not serious and the Astros were - he agreed to change his mind and go to Houston - so if the Astros aren’t close, the Mets will go with the Dodgers and give JV the choice of NYM of LAD.

20. Buck Turgidson

You give up both of those guys (plus another lottery prospect or 2 not of the Baez level) for JV plus money every day of the week.