1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Go after Lorenzen and I'll be satisifed

jakedasnake and The Beard like this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Only if he isn’t very smart

They had limited youth on the way to start with. You don’t have to be all that smart to know that with Trout and Rendon still under contract, give Ohtani 50-60 million on top of that and not much young talent coming to help, you ain’t gonna be real good

Angels ownership don’t even care about signing him, they will be selling soon anyway. They want the extra $$$$ he is bringing them right now

3. The Beard

Only if he isn’t very smart

They had limited youth on the way to start with. You don’t have to be all that smart to know that with Trout and Rendon still under contract, give Ohtani 50-60 million on top of that and not much young talent coming to help, you ain’t gonna be real good

Angels ownership don’t even care about signing him, they will be selling soon anyway. They want the extra $$$$ he is bringing them right now
    no guarantee we even make the playoffs without adding pitching

raining threes likes this.
  4. jayfree

jayfree Member

It would be funny if Ohtani doesn't get a contract by any team because he's TOO good. Like a Lamborghini sitting at a Ford dealership.

5. the shark

the shark Member

I would check in with CLE and see if they'd be willing to part with Civale. Has two more yrs of ARB and I think we could put a package together that might be of interest to them that wouldn't include Gilbert.

6. The Beard

You miss all those trades Luhnow made in the days leading up to the trade deadline?

7. the shark

the shark Member

Just read that CLE is in fact throwing the idea around of trading Civale. Not a power pitcher but definitely will keep you in the game (era below 3.00 and a good whip). Someone that could eat innings and he's not a rental.

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

I can't see giving up Gilbert for a guy like Civale. What has he done over his career that would make anyone thing he could be a solid starter and a 3 ERA going forward? His BB rate is at it's highest this year with his K rate at it's lowest, which makes me feel he's playing with fire.
    Imagine us trying to sell Bielak a few weeks ago stating how good he is? I think that's Civale who will eventually implode over a few games or more. Not worth losing one of our best prospects over.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

Fair point, but if we just look at this trade deadline, both teams current needs are about the same (SP, bullpen), and the Rangers are getting deals done to address those needs where the Astros, so far, are not. Rangers have added two starters and two relievers (three if we count Chapman), Astros have only added one reliever.

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Did you just call our GM a douche-bag just because he HASN'T done enough yet. If he doesn't do any further deals, he's still a DB.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Delete (wrong thread)

#3871 Joe Joe, Jul 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  12. the shark

the shark Member

Just read that CLE is in fact throwing the idea around of trading Civale. Not a power pitcher but definitely will keep you in the game (era below 3.00 and a good whip). Someone that could eat innings and he's not a rental.
    I said a package that would NOT include Gilbert. Some other prospects along with guys like Meyers or Julks included (Leon, Arrighetti, ?).

The Beard likes this.
  13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

He has been slowly going down in value. They missed the window on his peak value.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

Ha, misread that. Cool, you're smart again ;)

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Civale is fools gold

16. the shark

the shark Member

Snake, I mentioned Civale as a possibility.

In your opinion what type of package could Dana Brown offer CLE for him that they may go for that would not include Gilbert?

Would Leon, Arrighetti, Clifford and say Meyers be enough or would that be too much? As I mentioned he has two more yrs of ARB and he's certainly someone that could keep us in games and give you a consistent 6 innings (sub 3.00 era and good WHIP).

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I would be happy with Lorenzen. Seems like he could fit in wherever is needed, starter down the stretch (replacing Bielak) and potentially middle relief in the playoffs. He would also be insurance in case Urquidy doesn't come back strong. I am also hopeful Javier returns to form as he pitched better last game so we need him to be a solid #2. Astros going with a 6 man rotation down the stretch might be a wise thing to do if we have enough quality starters to do it but not sure it will be possible.

18. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like a Dallas K style pitcher.
    When a pitcher without a fastball goes off the rails it turns ugly real quick.

19. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Nothing special what Chris Young is doing, he's spending like a trust fund baby who turned 18. Can't fairly judge Dana Brown after only 6 months and inheriting no 20 and 21 1st and 2nd rounders. It's finally affecting us now.

Bregatron likes this.
  20. toby

toby Member

So. Texas.

They replaced DeG. They replaced Eovaldi. Heim is out for a while. They've improved quite a bit, but people aren't mentioning that they fell off a wall last month and the imrovement basically brings them back to where they were in June. overall meh.

We still need pitching.

I wish Brown would stop doing all these interviews. Keep your nose down. Be elusive.