1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is not 2024 yet though. If Gilbert is better than Meyers, he should be on the team right now. I don't think it really matters much on Gilbert vs. Meyers though as that can be decided next year. If there is a surplus then, deal with it then.

I'd say the fundamental difference is that it takes a really good deal for me to want to trade MLB talent unless it is truly surplus. This is oversimplified as who actually plays makes a difference, but I see Meyers as a -1 WAR cost this year in a trade. Snell and Hader likely add 2 WAR for the remaining season. Maybe this is viewed as equivalent to 3 WAR because Snell can make postseason starts. By using Meyers, you are cutting the benefit of Snell and Hader in half (or cutting it by a third if you give Snell an added WAR for postseason starts), and then losing 4 years of Meyers and $10M or so in budget that you can take in another trade. Is there a trade out there that can add whatever value you think Snell and Hader have minus Meyers without giving up a MLB player? Astros can even throw in $10M to offset cost of adding Snell and Hader to the budget and get to keep Meyers.

Edit: I think Meyers value is depressed as he's been in a time-share and he would likely be more valuable as a trade commodity next year if he was played more. I'm hoping for a different manager in a year.

#2762 Joe Joe, Jul 25, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  3. tallanvor

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That is the least positive/confident I have seen that dude since he became GM. Looks like deadline stress for him shook right now.

prospecthugger and Htown Legend like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, I get what you are saying I just don't fundamentally value Meyers that much in the context of this team, with Yordan being healthy as anything more than a marginal and incremental small benefit defensively which won't really matter very much.
    In my ideal world it's Tucker and Chas every night in RF and CF and some platoon of Dubon, Julks and Yordan in the lineup with maybe a LHB that isn't terrible somewhere to DH. Maybe that LHB that isn't terrible is Gilbert. But, you are talking about Dubon being absolutely fine against RHP.
    V RHP- Tucker, Chas, Yordan, DH- some LHB that's functional but not at all expensive
    V LHP Tucker, Chas, Dubon or Julks, DH- Yordan.

Against RHP Diaz is just fine with the Bat- so anytime Maldy is starting that leaves Diaz as an auto DH. I mean, we are talking about less than 10 games I see Meyers starting between here and the end of the year. If that's all the time available to him that makes him completely unnecessary this year from my vantage point. And, like I said- I like him. He's just got less value to us (both present and future) than almost any team in the league.

raining threes likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

4 out of our top 5 hitters missed significant playing time during the first half of the season, and we are still in the playoffs picture. Unfortunately, 2 of them were out because our manager makes decisions based on his gut.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He looks sad. Trying to figure out how to navigate office politics when the owner has built a rube goldberg contraption can do that to a person.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Rank order of hitters (my preference) going forward 33%, recent past 66%

Yordan
    Altuve
    Tucker
    Chas
    Bregman
    Diaz
    Abreu
    Pena
    Julks
    Meyers
    Dubon
    Maldonado

I'm the worlds biggest Diaz fan but I can't put him higher than 6th on this list just yet. Too disrespectful to Bregman. Having Chas above Bregman seems disrespectful too, but I think you have to do it.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd have him in about 50 games as I think his defensive value more than makes up for batting split against RHPs and he's the sole quality MLB replacement currently if Chas goes down. Unless the Astros add a DH or an OF, I'd value Meyers in the OF a lot more than Dubon/Julks. Diaz needs to be the postseason catcher which would keep Alvarez at DH.

Wulaw Horn and panamamyers like this.
  10. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't understand how this whole situation has somehow turned into a Meyers or McCormick situation.
    Chas should be the everyday left fielder and Meyers your everyday center fielder.
    Meyers is decidedly better defensively than any other outfielder on the team. Julks is not decidedly better than Meyers on offense, just slightly if at all.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. But Julks wasn’t get you much in a trade and Meyers probably would. That would be the main point. best thing to do would be to add a LHB that plays LF and DH. Start Dubon against LHP. Play Diaz every day. That would make Peña the worst hitter in the lineup. That would be pretty sexy.

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Dusty stress is getting to him

he wants Yordan in tonight and nothing he can do

Yordan put one in the second deck in batting practice and dusty won’t play him so he isn’t active

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Dusty does not have control over who is activated from the IL and when

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure when you got so paranoid… but its not a great look on you.

15. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

He needs to just DFA or package Maldo up in a trade, wipe his hands, throw on some shades and point at Baker and say "oohhhh yeahhhh digggit!"

everyday eddie and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. Jeremy Williams

Is Chas our new JD Martinez?

17. tallanvor

18. Buck Turgidson

No.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Alvarez and Altuve can stay healthy after they return we are going to be seeing a lot more homeruns. An orange tide's a coming baby.

Percentage of Homeruns Per AB

Alvarez .084
    McCormick .062
    Tucker / Altuve .049
    Bregman .041
    Maldonado / Meyers .030
    Pena .028
    Abreu .021
    Dubon .015
    Diaz .009

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He has more power over that than you would think

If he makes it clear he isn’t playing someone then Brown not gonna activate him

It’s pretty well known he doesn’t really care to work with upper management all that much

raining threes and Wulaw Horn like this.