1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll][Rockets Season 2023-24] Jalen Green Unleashed... Will He Rise...or Wilt....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jul 24, 2023.

?

will he

Poll closed Nov 1, 2023.
  1. rise

79.5%
  2. wilt

20.5%
  1. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I was talking basic numbers and potential. Had nothing to do with "hate". Porter was awful up until last year and he still was not able to run the team or be a good leader, yet people supported him. The same people that blast Green when his 2nd yr numbers were better than Porter's 3rd yr. I'm simply stating, since the thread was about whether he'd rise or wilt, that there is no reason to think he will not rise whether this year or next.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thinking people critique KPJ just to prop up Green and then projecting your paranoia in reverse... baby it's a wild world.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of hard to blame others for not being able to "run the team" when the team had dual anchors tied to their neck in the form of Jalen and Jabari. There's no one that wouldn't have dragged down.

As to the thread, your "reason" is blind hope... there's no actual reason to think it will happen, we all just hope it happens because he's been terrible thus far.

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

"Hard to blame others?

Now your just flipping it because my argument was fact. As far as Porter at the 1, he never showed the ability to make the right decisions running the team. His PnR game is sketchy. Very eratic. Rarely ever would make the outlet pass to runners on the break even when open. Not that he couldn't. He chose not to. I guess he was scared to look bad or didn't want to give up the ball. If he had looked decent running the team they would not have brought in VV. Period.

He's a good scorer. At times. When he puts in the effort, he's a decent defender. He's a good shooter with nice handles. If he ever gets it straight between the ears, he'd be really good. A solid starter no doubt. He just hasn't shown it thus far.

#44 Believe It!, Jul 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  5. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No blind hope here. There's absolutely no reason to think he will not be good. Again, better than Porter in yr 3 and equal to the current best 2 guard in the league in his 2nd yr. Numbers don't lie. Now who's really hating?

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think "blind hope" is a stretch. When I look at a developing player, well, obviously first I would look for them to kick ass right out of the gate. But not everyone can be Lebron or Luka. So with that out of the way, what I look for at the start, say the rookie year, is flashes. Show me flashes of greatness, show me some moments where you look like you're the real deal. Then as the season goes on, or in the second season, I need to see it more. Not just flashes of greatness but show me complete games. Show me some impressive games where you played great the whole way through, you put the team on your back, and looked like a legitimate superstar. Obviously it wont' be every game, but show me that you can do this with some consistency.

Jalen has done that. The reason he looks so bad with advanced stats, or the reason you think he's so bad, is that his average performance is not good. You add up all 82 games and divide by 82 and it stinks. I get it, if you judge him like that, he's not good, and it's fine if that's how you want to judge him. But it's not like he stinks in all 82 games, he's a very inconsistent player. His lows are very low, and his average is not great, but the highs are very high. He had like 10-15 games where he looked like a legit allstar or all nba type player, and that's something. So it's not just "blind hope" that we're banking on, he's definitely showed something to us.

From here on out we just have to hope he continues the trend. We need more moments. We need more games where he shows out. We need less terrible games. We need the terrible games to be slightly better, fewer, and farther between. We need his "average" game to be better than it was the year before. And then we need more of this superstar type games. Instead of 10-15 let's see 25, or even more. That way he will grade out a lot higher on the "add up 82 games and divide by 82" type metrics. But it's hard to deny his top end performances and say that he doesn't have potential. There are a lot of guys in the league who are not capable of putting together games like Jalen's top 10-15 games from last year. He just needs to improve that consistency and make it the norm.

So I have hope. I don't think it's blind, I think he's given a lot of reasons to show that we can and should be hopeful.

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Absolutely.

You put into words better than I.

LOL

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  8. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s ignorant to correlate someone’s taste in fashion or perceived affectations to their inner drive to be great at their craft. Do people still think in these backward mindsets in 2023?

9. MystikArkitect

Wonder what this Jalen Green thread is going to turn into.

Stephen_A and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Metrosexual on metrosexual violence!

clos4life likes this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

In general terms you’re right. But in this particular job, where the "craft" requires boxing out, fighting through screens and getting physical, the correlation holds.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can we check your data for this correlation? Did you do a R^2 fit?

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Still can't believe they took Christopher over Grimes.

fattz and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

He has a coach now that will hold him accountable if he doesn't. He's forced to. He stands to lose too much money if he doesn't.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So I take it Head Honcho is on the main team?

Losmi_34 likes this.
  17. kpdark

kpdark Member

could this rivalry start next season at the soonest

..sibling rivalry I mean ;)

can't wait for the season to start

Jontro likes this.
  18. kpdark

kpdark Member

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Missed the thread, did bobby exaggerate about how bad Jalen is and how good Porter is yet?

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

Like clockwork.

i3artow i3aller likes this.